Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Unhappy Computer problems, need some help!

Okay, I'm sitting here working on my girlfriend's new computer, which she purchased at Best Buy and had the Geek Squad optimize, and I'm having some issues with Internet Explorer.

It seems that every now and then whenever I try to load a webpage or click a link, my browser initiates a Google search for what looks like the URL to some kind of ad banner on the page trying to load.

For instance, when trying to open this URL, her computer goes to that page for a second but then proceeds to perform a Google search for this.

It happens off and on while navigating random sites I've been to, but occurs quite a bit when navigating Yahoo and Yahoo Mail, which is the client we both use for our e-mail. After having had this happen on the PC a couple of times, I've tried hitting escape while the page finishes loading certain objects, and that seems to stop it in some instances, but is a huge pain in the ass and only really works after you've been redirected since you know what you're trying to do is going to cause the redirect.

Any idea what this could be? SpySweeper doesn't recognize any spyware on the computer and it was happening prior to the installation of Google's toolbar in her IE window, so I'm wondering if there's just a setting somewhere that I need to change so that the web page doesn't automatically initiate these kinds of searches.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Computer problems, need some help!

It sounds like spyware to me. Try using a different browser and see if it cures the problem. FireFox is free and I really like it (Thanks Dez)!

I've now run Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SpySweeper with updated definitions, and none found anything. So I really don't think it's spyware.

As for FireFox, I downloaded it and, on top of really enjoying its tab feature, I'm not experiencing this problem at all when using it. So maybe it's time for the switcherooni.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Went through this problem as well with IE. The only thing that finally cleaned the spyware was Norton. All the other crap failed. Now with Firefox, Norton Anti-virus, Norton Intrusion Detection, Norton Firewall and Norton Security I hope my system stays clean :-)
    Last edited by RamWraith; -07-29-2006 at 09:37 PM.

Well, I think I've found the culprit - Browser Address Error Redirector. It was listed in my Add/Remove Programs window, and a Google search brought up pages that seemed to describe the problem I was having. Program removed, so we'll see what happens.

It seems the Beta version of IE7 has the tabbed browsing feature as well, so I might download it and see what I think between it and FF.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

My gosh, I wish I knew what you people were talking about. When it comes to computers I feel like one of the apes staring at the obelisk in the opening scene of 2001.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Nick, I think you'll like IE7. I have been using it for a few months now, and never had a problem.
    Of course, I lock my computer up like Fort Knox. Right now, I have XP SP2, XP firewall on, Windows Defender, Ewido Antimalware, AVG antivirus, Zone Alarm Pro v. 4.5, SpywareBlaster, and I run AdAware and Spybot S & D regularly. I also use Malwhere and TrojanHunter, and run EasyCleaner every now and then. On top of all that, I sit behind a router that has a software firewall on top of the hardware firewall. Once a month, I run a "leak test" over at dslreports. com, and everything shows me as completely stealthed.

XP was pre-loaded on my computer, and the ZA Pro isn't a free version, but all the rest of the software protection is available for free. The best part? It all works and plays well together!

Am I paranoid? No. Just wise enough that I don't want Monique (my computer) to be zombied.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Yea, Nick definately use Firefox. Very very hard to get a virus to go through it, I have had no viruses since I got Firefox, and I always had a bunch of em' with Internet Explorer.

Plus Firefox has alot of cool add ons
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Yea, it sounds like some sort of spyware, something similiar happened to me, so I just stopped using it, and now use Firefox. IE works now after a few weeks, I guess norton got rid of it.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Or, you could just trade in your computer and buy a Mac.

I've never - ever - had a single virus nor seen one in all the Macs our family has gone through.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Wink Re: Computer problems, need some help!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man

I've never - ever - had a single virus nor seen one in all the Macs our family has gone through.
    A Mac EDM..... are you still living in the 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man

My father has a Mac and I've used it. Not a big fan.

Milan is offline Registered User

Get off of IE and the problems would be solved, it's insecure and full of bugs. Download Firefox.