Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cowboyhater is offline Registered User

cowboyhater a god (not really)

The trick with Space Invaders is to maximize the number of points per screen. There is a technique (not a cheat code) to do this.

Milan is offline Registered User

Re: cowboyhater a god

What do you mean, like leave the last guy and just shoot the red Bonus ships?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: cowboyhater a god (not really)

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater
    The trick with Space Invaders is to maximize the number of points per screen. There is a technique (not a cheat code) to do this.
    Ya since I did get 36000 something I was using a technique but there must be another one because it seems like the aliens are so close to you at the bottom it's real hard to get them before they get you.

Care to share some insight on your techniques
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

cowboyhater no god, not even a lower case one.

I was never a Space Invaders fan. The early games I played were my Magnavox Odyssey 100 (NO computer chips, ALL transistors) and Pong, Super Breakout and the legendary Space War in the arcades.

I DID read books back in the '80's on technique and of course the magazines. Space Invaders was old news by the '80's, but the books mentioned WHEN the mystery ships came out (I believe it was after shots #7 and #22). That would be impertinent to a remake that wouldn't use the same algorithm. However, you do get a clear shot at the ships, if in the early rounds, you clear away columns rather than rows, leaving one little guy in the upper left and taking out the middle. They are moving so slowly that you are in little danger. More importantly, it gives you places to duck when the enemy drops more shots.

In later screens, you have no choice but to start with the bottom rows immediately. I use a left to right sweep with a semi-rapid fire mode. (If you keep the fire button pressed, the shots auto-fire. Since most shots hit a nearby target, you can clear out the first couple of rows quickly and get yourself some breathing room. This version is pretty generous with the free ships, so you can be a little aggressive and lose one now and then.

Now, if "Carnival" ever gets posted, there are scads of legitimate techniques for that.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I hope you know I was only kidding. I think it is cool that you are so good at these games.

First, before Ram Wraith suggests that I get a job, it should be noted that as of this writing, he has spent more time than I have at this stuff.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Re: cowboyhater no god, not even a lower case one.

I was never a Space Invaders fan. The early games I played were my Magnavox Odyssey 100 (NO computer chips, ALL transistors) and Pong, Super Breakout and the legendary Space War in the arcades.

I DID read books back in the '80's on technique and of course the magazines. Space Invaders was old news by the '80's, but the books mentioned WHEN the mystery ships came out (I believe it was after shots #7 and #22). That would be impertinent to a remake that wouldn't use the same algorithm. However, you do get a clear shot at the ships, if in the early rounds, you clear away columns rather than rows, leaving one little guy in the upper left and taking out the middle. They are moving so slowly that you are in little danger. More importantly, it gives you places to duck when the enemy drops more shots.

In later screens, you have no choice but to start with the bottom rows immediately. I use a left to right sweep with a semi-rapid fire mode. (If you keep the fire button pressed, the shots auto-fire. Since most shots hit a nearby target, you can clear out the first couple of rows quickly and get yourself some breathing room. This version is pretty generous with the free ships, so you can be a little aggressive and lose one now and then.

Now, if "Carnival" ever gets posted, there are scads of legitimate techniques for that.

It still takes forever to hit the saucer enough times to score high.

Re: cowboyhater no god, not even a lower case one.

Wow you bring back memories, I remember the Odyssey,one of my friends had one. I had an Intellivision with over 75 games when I was a kid, man the good old days.

Am I remembering this correctly, was Carnival a Coleco Vision game that I think was also available for Intellivision? I seem to remember some carnival game where you have to shoot a bear that is going back and forth plus some other tasks?
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Carnival etc.

Oh, I was only kidding too, RamWraith. Some people watched TV in their young adulthood, I played arcade and home video games.

Regarding Carnival, it was originally a Gremlin/Sega arcade game, later translated by Coleco for the Atrai 2600, Mattel Intellivision and ColecoVision (the best home version). The arcade version can now be played at home with the MAME emulator.

The screen was laid out similar to Space Invaders, but it was supposed to resemble a carnival shooting gallery. One difference was the ducks. If they get to the bottom, they come to life, fly down, and consume 10 bullets. Run out of bullets, and you are through. Take to long and before you know it, a whole flock of ducks are descending on your ammo stash.

The beauty of the game
    has to do with all of the various bonuses that are available. In this way it is like a traditional pinball game. Hit two of the same colored pipe on two consecutive shots, and your second shot value is QUADRUPLED. Top row targets are worth more than bottom row targets. Spend too much time trying for bonuses, and the ducks take you out.

Special bonus rounds include a bear that runs back and forth. Serious Carnival players rank themselves by how many "bears" they get. I peaked at six bears, and one high school friend managed seven once, but my high score was higher than his. Nonetheless, seven bears is an accomplishment.

The ColecoVision version you referred to is a faithful, thugh easier, replication. The Mattel Intellivision version suffers from the horrible Intellivision Disc controller. (When Nintendo popularized those tiny controllers designed for four year-olds, I started losing interest.)

Re: Carnival etc.

The Mattel Intellivision version suffers from the horrible Intellivision Disc controller.
    I bought joysticks to replace the disc controller for the Intellivison. They were plastic lol so you just take out the disc and put the joy stick in and voila no more disc.

Let me ask you this cowboy, why is it that when Coleco had a game like Donkey Kong, the Intellivision version only had 2 levels and wasn't the full version of the game? There were some other games that were lesser versions on Intellivison also, I think Popeye was one of them also. Why is that?
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Mattel Intellivision and ColecoVision

I had tried the Wico joysticks for Intellivision and found them to be too stiff. Yes, there were others with removable sticks. The Intellivision disk was unusual in that it had eight switches instead of the more typical four. This allowed for up to 16 directions, which is great for Dreadnaught Factor or Baseball, not so great for any maze/climbing game like Donkey Kong or Pac-Man.

The Intellivision's graphics, though suyperior to the Atari 2600s, were no match for the ColecoVision's, which were 256x192x16 colors, about as good as you could get on a standard 1980's television. More importantly, the Atari 2600 only allowed 4K RAM games (8k with bank switching, an extra 6K with the StarPath Supercharger tape-based games, and 16K with special carts from CBS/Fox Games that had an extra chip soldered in. NAP had also planned some extra-memory games, but never brought them out to wide release.) The Intellivision (I & II) only allowed 10K max, and no one made any enhancement that I know of. The ColecoVision could go up to 32K, but most games were 16K or 24K. Coleco, who issued Donkey Kong, certainly wanted the ColecoVision version to play better, and its chip was the same as in the Arcade version (Zilog Z-80), but the main problem was the Intellivision just didn't have enough memory space.
    Last edited by cowboyhater; -12-21-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Re: Mattel Intellivision and ColecoVision

the main problem was the Intellivision just didn't have enough memory space.
    Well that makes sense now, I knew the graphics wouldn't be as good as Coleco, but I didn't think that they would have to eliminate levels. Thx for the info.

The disc was awkward, it was great when I played Tron Deadly Discs, but I had to get used to games like Burger Time, or Lock "N" Chase. Of course as a 10 year old kid I mastered most of the games with the disc and the stick. Ah the joys of being a kid LOL.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Speaking of Intellivision

Have you seen the new Intellivisions sold at Walgreens (and perhaps others)?

They are $20, only come with one controller (and NO keypad), and have dozens of games built-in, including old favorites like Astrosmash.

I might have given it a try if,

1. I had a television
    2. The game list included "Dracula," one of the silliest games of all time. (You play Count Dracula, you have to "bite" so many people before sunrise). One of the great games from Imagic.

Re: Speaking of Intellivision

Have you seen the new Intellivisions sold at Walgreens (and perhaps others)?

They are $20, only come with one controller (and NO keypad), and have dozens of games built-in, including old favorites like Astrosmash.

I might have given it a try if,

1. I had a television
    2. The game list included "Dracula," one of the silliest games of all time. (You play Count Dracula, you have to "bite" so many people before sunrise). One of the great games from Imagic.

No I haven't seen them. I had Dracula for Intellivision and yes it was one of the silliest games of all time lol. Some of the games I had from Imagic were Demon Attack, Truckin, Atlantis, Beauty & The Beast, Dragonfire, & Microsurgeon

I found that Beauty & The Beast was a lame attempt to copy Donkey Kong in some ways. Dragonfire I liked a lot. I could talk about Intellivision all day LOL really brings back memories
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -12-21-2005 at 06:56 PM.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Wow, you really were a fan of the Intellivision! Outside of Dracula and Truckin', I got diddly from anybody (I was a reviewer) except Mattel. They sent out B-17 Bomber (with the Intellivoice), Buzz Bombers (you are a can of insect killer),
    and the surprisingly cerebral "Bomb Squad". Unfortunately, I was flying home from Chicago and had the Intellivision II in carry-on, and the Bomb Squad keypad overlay was inserted. I was asked about it, and the console was examined. If I tried that today, you'd probably never see me again.

Wow, you really were a fan of the Intellivision! Outside of Dracula and Truckin', I got diddly from anybody (I was a reviewer) except Mattel. They sent out B-17 Bomber (with the Intellivoice), Buzz Bombers (you are a can of insect killer),
    and the surprisingly cerebral "Bomb Squad". Unfortunately, I was flying home from Chicago and had the Intellivision II in carry-on, and the Bomb Squad keypad overlay was inserted. I was asked about it, and the console was examined. If I tried that today, you'd probably never see me again.
    I had the Intellivoice also with B-17 Bomber and Space Spartans. I never had Bomb Squad. I didn't care much for the Intellivoice games. One of my fav Intellivision games was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Treasure Of Tarmin. I also liked Utopia which many people didn't like. Tron Deadly Discs, Bump & Jump, Major League Baseball, Snafu and Burgertime also topped some of my favs as I remember.

Some of the worst games as I remember them were Armor Battle (Tank vs Tank), Triple Action (3 games in 1) Also all of those Coleco and Atari remakes like Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Zaxxon was probably the worst, but as you said it was because of the memory. Although I did like Pitfall which was an Activision game, but River Raid was a failure on Intellivision.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast