UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

'Crocodile Hunter' Dead at 44

Tis a sad day

'Crocodile Hunter' Dead at 44
    Steve Irwin Killed by Stingray During Filming

CAIRNS, Australia (Sept. 4) -- Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

His ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

Irwin's public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to the child, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be excruciatingly painful but are rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

News of Irwin's death spread quickly, and tributes flowed from all quarters of society.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes. Drivers honked their horns as they passed.

"Steve, from all God's creatures, thank you. Rest in peace," was written on a card with a bouquet of native flowers.

"We're all very shocked. I don't know what the zoo will do without him. He's done so much for us, the environment and it's a big loss," said Paula Kelly, a local resident and volunteer at the zoo, after dropping off a wreath at the gate.

Stainton said Irwin's American-born wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., had been informed of his death, and had told their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the "Crocodile Huntress," she costarred on her husband's television show and in his 2002 movie.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: 'Crocodile Hunter' Dead at 44

That is a sad story, indeed. He was this generation's Marlin Perkins...except he did the work himself instead of sending Jim to do the dangerous stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Wow, I would have never guessed it would have been a stingray to kill him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Was such a freak thing how it happened...for the stingray to pop up out of nowhere from the sand directly below him and its stinger to go perfectly inbetween his breastbone into his chest like that...horrible...he will be missed.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I felt compelled to make this:

http://SteveIrwinRestInPeace.ytmnd.com/
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -09-26-2006 at 03:53 PM.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

You'll be missed. That's so strange that it was a stingray though. Out of all the absolutely ridiculous things he did for years...it's something like that, how awful. He has a family too, what a shame, RIP, you were a good man

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

The version I read off a link from thedrudgereport.com said that during a break from filming his documetary he was in the process of filming a segment for his daughter's new tv show when the fatal accident occured.

Crikey!, we'll miss him.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Big loss...This guy made Animal Planet what it is today. My son always enjoyed watching him and is saddened about his passing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Thresher is offline Registered User

One day watching his show, he was with his mate in a skiff and his normal jungle clothing. He saw something in a river he was trolling down, he instantly threw on his scuba gear, mask and fins and flopped over the side for the adventure that lie ahead.

About 3 hours later I had decided with my girlfriend it was time to move to a different climate so we too could just jump in head first. Here we are in Kauai, diving and enjoying the ocean's lifeforms. Thank you Steve for showing some of us the spirit of adventure and risk.

If you had asked 100 people how Steve would die I would bet none would have said stingray.

According to wikipedia the Bull Stingray is more pesky then the stingrays of the caymans that some have swam and fed.

I appreciated his spirit and will miss him.

Thanks clanram for letting me grieve publicly when it seems others don't want to share in it.