Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deletions

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Deletions

Greetings all,

Quick query if I may..........

What are the groundrules for deletions?

Now I received a mail from Nick recently (Automated? That's a hell of a program that can scan text for perceived value....) that said that a post that I made recently that signalled my agreement with something was being deleted because it didn't add anything to the thread.

I should have signalled my agreement via the rep system.

No problem with that per se, and it seems to be a very sensible way on cutting down on some of the guff that's posted, but having had a quick trawl through some other threads where someone may have posted "Yeah man, I agree with that (Insert joke here, even if it's a poor one)" it doesn't seem to be consistently applied.

So, in order to save time and trouble could someone please tell me what the rules are these days. You can't avoid being subjective if you don't have any.

I might want to know about Rams Players birthdays for example and it might hold just as much value as knowing how heavy Marshall is these days, or how bad our undrafted free agents ACL is, or telling Torry we love him, or whether we leave the seat up or down,etc, etc............

I may have missed the rules being published somewhere and if I have can someone please point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

FP

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Re: Deletions

I too, wonder the criteria for deleted posts.
    I understand the concept of raising the level of content on CR as a whole, but think that the presence of a lounge is contradictory to the whole concept. I for one love the lounge and think it is a great place to kill the boredom of the off season, but if one's objective is to boost their post count then the lounge would be the easiest place.
    As Fat Pang mentioned the toilet seat thread (no offense to AlphaRam, who brings a lot to CR) and many other similar threads is an easy way to boost said post count if that is one's mission.

To sum it all up, I love this site and just do not want to step out of line by posting too frequently or off topic and just want to have a daily fun and enjoyable experience here with my Rams family.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    Greetings all,

Quick query if I may..........

What are the groundrules for deletions?

Now I received a mail from Nick recently (Automated? That's a hell of a program that can scan text for perceived value....) that said that a post that I made recently that signalled my agreement with something was being deleted because it didn't add anything to the thread.

I should have signalled my agreement via the rep system.

No problem with that per se, and it seems to be a very sensible way on cutting down on some of the guff that's posted, but having had a quick trawl through some other threads where someone may have posted "Yeah man, I agree with that (Insert joke here, even if it's a poor one)" it doesn't seem to be consistently applied.

So, in order to save time and trouble could someone please tell me what the rules are these days. You can't avoid being subjective if you don't have any.

I might want to know about Rams Players birthdays for example and it might hold just as much value as knowing how heavy Marshall is these days, or how bad our undrafted free agents ACL is, or telling Torry we love him, or whether we leave the seat up or down,etc, etc............

I may have missed the rules being published somewhere and if I have can someone please point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

FP
    I will take part of your post a bit further. Let's say for example I like your post Fat Pang so I leave you some rep. Now let's say 1 day later you make another post I really like, I won't be able to leave you any rep because I haven't "spread it around enough" yet. So maybe that's where some of the "good post" posts come from because rep can't be left again so soon? Not a big deal, just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I have also had posts deleted that I felt contributed to the thread, but apparently not enough contribution to prevent the big red button from being pressed.

If I am correct, the whole idea behind the 'quality vs. quantity' idea is to prevent the ClanRam board from turning into what the so-called official board became. One website I used to occasionally visit, supposedly Star Trek related, had some decidedly non-ST posts. That is why I stopped going there. I wanted to read info about Star Trek, not posts about someone's toilet habits, or why Bush is better than Clinton, or about someone's cat running away. I'm sure the members on the board made 'net friendships' and wanted to let their friends know what was going on in their lives, but I think that should have been done by e-mail or PM's, not on the board. Frivolous posting ruined that site for me and many others.

A couple of years ago, when this board was just getting established (and I was a lurker) the posts were different. Just look through some of the earliest posts in the forum, you'll see what I mean.

I'm glad that Dez and the moderators have taken this step to keep the board a top-quality destination. Sure, sometimes they might pull out some of the flowers (good posts) instead of just the weeds (frivolous posts), but the garden still looks better when it is done. (I hope that analogy made some sense.) I know it has caused me to think a little bit more about responding, asking myself if it really needs to be posted. Of course, when drinking, I don't stop to think about what I post, hence the need for the 'big red button'.

I will take part of your post a bit further. Let's say for example I like your post Fat Pang so I leave you some rep. Now let's say 1 day later you make another post I really like, I won't be able to leave you any rep because I haven't "spread it around enough" yet. So maybe that's where some of the "good post" posts come from because rep can't be left again so soon? Not a big deal, just a thought.

you are correct, that is to stop buddies building up each others reputation point.

This system has been tried and tested on some of the biggest internet vb boards out there and it works.

all we are asking is, reply to the post, yes. but when you reply, do so in a way thet brings something to the thread. Its obvious that some members are posting after every single thread just to build up numbers and we are trying to do this in a nice way
    we have other areas for those that want to chitter chatter the lounge for one.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

It has been discussed and the birthday threads are obsolete. Maybe it would be a good idea if someone is energetic to go to the calendar section and post all the Ram player birthdays there, which in my opinion would be a great resource for people and a much more appropriate area for such information.

you are correct, this forum has the very latest tools that can be used by members who are willing to put in some time. If a member wants to do Ram Player birthdays, to be added to the calendar, great, PM me and I will set them up. the same goes for any other ideas you might have, members, this is your forum, lets use it.

Er....okay, I think I'm more with Bruce=GOAT and Brucie on this one, but as I said, what are the criteria? I'm still non the wiser.

It's not about the birthdays or toilet seats or even the goat behind my house, because if I want that I'll read it. Alpha Ram has made some fantastic contributions recently and I enjoy what he's put out there, as for birthdays if I want to know them I'll look at NFL player Bio's.

It's about the hesitation before you post because you're not sure whether you are adding value or not. As someone who has attracted his fair share of controversy on these forums, hasn't exactly lit up the board rep-wise, and is at least partially responsible for politics and religion being banned from the forum, I may think twice about posting something longer than ten words in the future because it'll just get deleted because A.N Other mod has decided it adds no value. As Brucie points out, if I just rep him for it I can't do it again for a while.

So, instead of saying "No arguments here", what I should have said is "No arguments here and thankyou for bringing this to my attention because I have found it to be of tremendous value". I know I'm being extreme, but it's to make a point.

What will happen is more work for Dez and the boys, we'll have some very funny posts disappear, and people will get the hump because their post got deleted but someone else's didn't and they won't have any idea why.

Hey, at the end of this extrememly hot and humid working day, it's Dez' website and he and his appointed mods will run it according to agreed policy.

Sorry Dez, I think the e-mail updates you send us are great but I have had a chuckle. Shortly after posting the last post, I checked out the update e-mail that was just sent and dgr's post about Matt Turk's birthday was one of the 'Most viewed threads'. I know it was only 9 views, but it still made the list......................

Are you regretting giving me that pressie?

I never regret anything

rams! is offline Registered User

My "warning" is up to 10%!?? Just because 2 of my comments were deleted, I guess because they were short. This is one of the best Rams boards I've been in but it's too strict.

I could care less about my post count. I don't see why people try to raise their post count anyway. It's pretty sad when you think about it lol.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I think a better term than strict is mature. :moon:

It's been explained.

Apologies to anyone whose chain may have been unecessarily yanked by my query.

Good job Dez and mods, I don't envy you one little bit.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

This system has been tried and tested on some of the biggest internet vb boards out there and it works
    Good enough for me. I think this site is kinda confusing at first, because it is so in depth and capable of doing so many things, but now that I am starting to get familiar with it, I think it is the best site on the web. It seems like everyday I discover something new that it is capable of doing. Thanks for the answers Dez.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast