throwback week

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deletions

Re: Deletions

no problem and like I said, anyone wishing to help, just PM me with your idea

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    I will take part of your post a bit further. Let's say for example I like your post Fat Pang so I leave you some rep. Now let's say 1 day later you make another post I really like, I won't be able to leave you any rep because I haven't "spread it around enough" yet. So maybe that's where some of the "good post" posts come from because rep can't be left again so soon? Not a big deal, just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    you are correct, that is to stop buddies building up each others reputation point.

This system has been tried and tested on some of the biggest internet vb boards out there and it works.
    So I guess since my post was so good you will be hitting me up with a + rep..."pimp pimp". (using Dez's own words) LOL

Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    no problem and like I said, anyone wishing to help, just PM me with your idea
    By this statement, I am guessing that you mean PMing you if we have suggestions to help improve the board.

Sounds good to me, but won't that result in PM overload for you?

I thought you might set up a seperate area where we could post our thoughts on things like this, but restrict it so that only the original poster and the mods ONLY can see what is posted. "dslreports . com" has an area like this, and it seems to work well for what they set it up for.

Well some people like to talk in private with an idea before they go public, for that, I am happy to listed and discuss

AlphaRam Guest

Just so you guys know, things like the toilet seat thread are to bring a little interactive humor into people's lives.

The threads about naming running backs and quarterbacks are also entertainment...but also helps members learn a little more about our Rams. For selfish reasons, I also post such threads as I learn stuff that I had not known before.

Regarding post count, I know I don't care about it. It isn't something that I can leave to someone in my will, cash in for money (unless Dez has a rebate program I haven't been informed about), or sell on eBay.

I shall now leave this thread on ponder the content of a thread about government cheese.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    I shall now leave this thread on ponder the content of a thread about government cheese.
    Back in the 80's, there was a band that claimed both Springfield and Kansas City as home. They were known as Steve, Bob, and Rich, but also went by the name of the Rainmakers. My favorite song that they did was "Big Fat Blonde", but they also did a song called "Government Cheese". Alpha, I decided to post the lyrics here to help you in your quest:

Government Cheese
    by Rainmakers

Give a man a free house and he'll bust out the windows
    Put his family on food stamps, now he's a big spender
    no food on the table and the bills ain't paid
    'Cause he spent it on cigarettes and P.G.A.
    They'll turn us all into beggars 'cause they're easier to please
    They're feeding our people that Government Cheese

Give a man a free lunch and he'll figure out a way
    To steal more than he can eat 'cause he doesn't have to pay
    Give a woman free kids and you'll find them in the dirt
    Learning how to carry on the family line of work
    It's the man in the White House, the man under the steeple
    Passing out drugs to the American people
    I don't believe in anything, nothing is free
    They're feeding our people the Government Cheese

Decline and fall, fall down baby
    Decline and fall, said fall way down now
    Decline and fall, fall down little mama
    Decline and fall, decline and fall

Give a man a free ticket on a dead end ride
    And he'll climb in the back even though nobody's driving
    Too ******* lazy to crawl out of the wreck
    And he'll rot there while he waits for the welfare check
    Going to hell in a handbag, can't you see
    I ain't gonna eat no Government Cheese

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    No problem with that per se, and it seems to be a very sensible way on cutting down on some of the guff that's posted, but having had a quick trawl through some other threads where someone may have posted "Yeah man, I agree with that (Insert joke here, even if it's a poor one)" it doesn't seem to be consistently applied.
    Simply because we mods are human. We don't catch everything, nor do we have the time to read every post in every thread. If it's not being applied consistently, it's because we just haven't found it. When we see it, we take care of it.

So, in order to save time and trouble could someone please tell me what the rules are these days. You can't avoid being subjective if you don't have any.
    The board rules can be found on the main forum page right above the Help forum.

I will take part of your post a bit further. Let's say for example I like your post Fat Pang so I leave you some rep. Now let's say 1 day later you make another post I really like, I won't be able to leave you any rep because I haven't "spread it around enough" yet. So maybe that's where some of the "good post" posts come from because rep can't be left again so soon? Not a big deal, just a thought.
    It's a fair point, but there's not much we can do but suggest you use the feature more often so you "spread around" reputation. As it's been pointed out, the system does that so that buddies can't just up their rep to the highest level.

If you see a good post from someone, give them rep for it. Chances are more than that person will be posting good stuff, so it shouldn't be difficult to spread the rep around. Furthermore, it hopefully won't be the last time you see a good post from someone either, so you can always show your appreciation at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Frivolous posting ruined that site for me and many others.
    And that's exactly what we're trying to avoid here. Like you said, sometimes we may delete something that someone felt was fine, but show me a perfect machine and then we'll talk. All we're trying to do is increase the quality of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Maybe it would be a good idea if someone is energetic to go to the calendar section and post all the Ram player birthdays there, which in my opinion would be a great resource for people and a much more appropriate area for such information.
    That would be an excellent idea and a great use of a board feature to accomplish the same purpose.

So, instead of saying "No arguments here", what I should have said is "No arguments here and thankyou for bringing this to my attention because I have found it to be of tremendous value". I know I'm being extreme, but it's to make a point.
    IMO, both would be deleted. In your second example, you're just continuing to thank the person and agree with them, but doing it in a more wordy fashion without adding any substance of your own to the thread.

The objective isn't to be more verbose in appreciation. It's to express your individual opinion on a topic and bring your own two cents to the discussion. If after reading the thread someone has expressed your thoughts perfectly, then rep them for it. If you want to respond in the thread to let someone know you agree with them, okay... but bring something of your own or elaborate on a point they make. Simply saying you agree or thanking them - no matter how long or short it is - doesn't bring anything to the table that can't be accomplished using the reputation system.

I hope that clears it up for you, but if not, just let me know and I'll try to do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by rams!
    My "warning" is up to 10%!?? Just because 2 of my comments were deleted, I guess because they were short. This is one of the best Rams boards I've been in but it's too strict.
    Your warning level was not raised because of short posts, but because of an immature and inappropriate phrase you used in a response you made. I can only speak for myself, but I am NOT using the warning system when deleting thank you or appreciation posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    By this statement, I am guessing that you mean PMing you if we have suggestions to help improve the board.

Sounds good to me, but won't that result in PM overload for you?
    Suggestions can be sent to anyone on the staff, really. Mods can always relate suggestions to the rest of the staff, including Dez.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

In which case I shall do my best to be far less frivolous and verbose and ensure that in every instance I add value.

Point was it's still subjective Nick, no matter how you do it or what those rules are because you're looking for 'value'. I also made the point that you're going to do it according to a policy that's agreed between Dez and yourselves.

I later went on to say that the reason for subjective judgement has been explained.

I understand and sympathise with it, but feel that you will always have an issue with consistency, because there is more than one mod and what is 'value' to one will not be to another.

It's about more than merely signalling agreement or disagreement.

Pang, I think you're overanalyzing. We're simply trying to put an end to the "I agree" or "Good post" responses. 99% of the time, that's going to be pretty easy to distinguish. The 1% of time it isn't, you're right, it likely will be somewhat subjective. But so is all of moderating, so we're not venturing into anything new or different here.

Okay (Shrugs)

AlphaRam Guest

I hope this thread in no way tarnishes my toilet seat thread.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I think your toilet seat thread is disturbing enough all by itself. It's going down a dark path at the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nope, it passes the verbosity test, the frivolous test and the adding value test.

However........................

If I were merely to signify my agreement in words I wouldn't be adding value, so I'm going to rep you for it. Just make sure you don't say anything else good for a while, cos' then I'll have to send smoke signals...................

If I rep you for it though, does that mean that this comment is redundant? If it does, then you'll never see it but you will see the rep. But additionally, you won't see any other rep that I want to give you so you'd better look to the skies.

And then again, if I've rep'd you for something else recently and this comment is seen as redundant and gets deleted then you will never know how much I like the toilet seat thread until I get a chance to rep someone else before I rep you again.

However, If i've also rep'd them recently, I'll have to find someone else to rep before I rep them, before I rep you.

So I'll just say nothing instead.

If anyone thinks I may have overanalyzed this for pete's sake don't say it here, rep me instead.

Unless you have already for something else. In which case rep someone else first before you rep me and then rep me.

:smoke: signals.................................

thoey is offline Registered User

All we're trying to do is increase the quality of the board.
    Just seems to me that this was already the best RAMS site on the net. These new rules are just going to make people shy away from it and the site will ultimately lose because of that.

To some people, it is hard enough for them to express an opinion on the world wide web. But to return and see "this post was deleted as it provides no positive content" or something like that, is discouraging.

As the old saying goes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    As the old saying goes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    Problem is, it was broke.

We've received multiple complaints about members posting just to post where no new content or any kind of opinion is provided. We're not just addressing this for no reason - we're trying to address problems that have been pointed out.

It seems we're damned if we do and damned if we don't, but I don't have any qualms at all about trying to come down on the side of better quality.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast