Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deletions

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Deletions

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    These new rules are just going to make people shy away from it and the site will ultimately lose because of that.

To some people, it is hard enough for them to express an opinion on the world wide web. But to return and see "this post was deleted as it provides no positive content" or something like that, is discouraging.
    I worry that we are scaring people away from posting. I don't think there is a lot of activity on this board. It seems like everyone is hanging around waiting for someone else to say something.

Quality is a good thing, but not if it stops most people from posting. There has to be a balance.

It seems that we have a lot of quiet types hanging around. Perhaps they are shy about talking on the internet in front of a bunch of lurkers. And why do we have so many guests? What are they interested in? I don't understand why the number of guests is so high. I have to wonder if the numbers are accurate or elevated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Just seems to me that this was already the best RAMS site on the net. These new rules are just going to make people shy away from it and the site will ultimately lose because of that.

To some people, it is hard enough for them to express an opinion on the world wide web. But to return and see "this post was deleted as it provides no positive content" or something like that, is discouraging.

As the old saying goes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    But thoey, the only post this rule applies to are the "I agree", or "Good Post", etc. type posts. Anything more than that is certainly adequate. We're not slapping anyone on the hand, because (you're right) it is very difficult for some people to see their thoughts on the Net. It's awkward and uncomfortable. We're not downgrading anybody over this, we're just asking that the "I agree" posts will better serve in the Rep. function.

Our hope is that those individuals who have had their posts deleted will understand it's not done as a discouragement to their posts or ultimately their point of view.....but only to encourage additional thought and an expansive sharing of their point of view.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    I don't think there is a lot of activity on this board.
    There usually isn't during this time of the year, between the draft and training camp when virtually nothing is happening in pro football. Only time will tell if you'll be able to say the same thing mid-September, but I'm willing to bet you won't be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Our hope is that those individuals who have had their posts deleted will understand it's not done as a discouragement to their posts or ultimately their point of view.....but only to encourage additional thought and an expansive sharing of their point of view.
    Exactly. The ultimate goal is to encourage people from posting more than an "I agree" or "Good post" but to also elaborate on what they agree with and why.

I don't even care if you make a response that tells someone you agree with their post, so long as that's not the ONLY thing in your response. That's where the hammer is going to fall, only because we want people to express their own ideas and thoughts rather than just a short one liner that offers nothing but a thumbs up to a quote that's already been posted.

If you agree with someone, great! Explain why and expand on it rather than just saying "I agree" and moving on. If you don't agree, well we never seem to have a problem with people expressing disagreement.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree, Nick.

Just a little joke there. And an example of what needs to go to rep. instead of post.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    There usually isn't during this time of the year, between the draft and training camp when virtually nothing is happening in pro football. Only time will tell if you'll be able to say the same thing mid-September, but I'm willing to bet you won't be able to.
    I cruise some other football boards and, in comparison, we have a smaller amount of posts being made and a larger number of guests than the other boards. I am sure the posts will pick up as the season gets closer. I just think that we should have more posts being made with the number of members and guests that visit this site each day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    Nope, it passes the verbosity test, the frivolous test and the adding value test.

However........................

If I were merely to signify my agreement in words I wouldn't be adding value, so I'm going to rep you for it. Just make sure you don't say anything else good for a while, cos' then I'll have to send smoke signals...................

If I rep you for it though, does that mean that this comment is redundant? If it does, then you'll never see it but you will see the rep. But additionally, you won't see any other rep that I want to give you so you'd better look to the skies.

And then again, if I've rep'd you for something else recently and this comment is seen as redundant and gets deleted then you will never know how much I like the toilet seat thread until I get a chance to rep someone else before I rep you again.

However, If i've also rep'd them recently, I'll have to find someone else to rep before I rep them, before I rep you.

So I'll just say nothing instead.

If anyone thinks I may have overanalyzed this for pete's sake don't say it here, rep me instead.

Unless you have already for something else. In which case rep someone else first before you rep me and then rep me.

:smoke: signals.................................
    Does that make you a repist? Sorry, that was rep for the picking!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fat Pang again.
    That sounds provocative....and his wife will probably get mad at me.
    Last edited by Nick; -06-20-2006 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Nah, she's already mad that I visit this site anyway. She could only watch a football game if Barry Sanders was playing. Since his retirement she's been supremely disinterested.

Rugby league is more her thing.

So............

GIVE IT TO ME!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    Does that make you a repist? Sorry, that was rep for the picking!
    This could get repetitive.........(groan)

Last edited by Nick; -06-20-2006 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

bigredman Guest

Just seems to me that this was already the best RAMS site on the net. These new rules are just going to make people shy away from it and the site will ultimately lose because of that.

As the old saying goes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    Problem was, it was broke. Some people (uhem, uhem, not mentioning any names) used the "I agree", etc post as a cheap method of increasing their post totals. Its just like those that slam something you say as being stupid, but offer no substance of their own (uhem, uhem, again not mentioning any names). If you have something to say, say it and give us reasons or your own take on the subject. Like Jim Rome says; "Have a take, and don't suck". Hell, if having their post deleted is going to bruise their little egos, oh well. If that turns them away, then they probably weren't going to contribute in a meaningful way anyway. Think of the moderators as phone screeners at a radio station. You make your pitch to get on the air, and they can either put you through to the host, or hang up on ya.

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    I worry that we are scaring people away from posting. I don't think there is a lot of activity on this board. It seems like everyone is hanging around waiting for someone else to say something.

Quality is a good thing, but not if it stops most people from posting. There has to be a balance.

It seems that we have a lot of quiet types hanging around. Perhaps they are shy about talking on the internet in front of a bunch of lurkers. And why do we have so many guests? What are they interested in? I don't understand why the number of guests is so high. I have to wonder if the numbers are accurate or elevated.
    I don't think we are scaring anyone away (if we are, then see above). I'll sit here sometimes all day (or I'll stay logged on in one browser window, while surfing on another, clicking back and forth with the tabs), and maybe answer one post that interests my response all that day. That doesn't make it a bad thing. Its how message boards are. I too am interested in the "guest" list. Maybe its people who are fantasy football types who have numerous browser windows open and are lurking for news about the team since this site has the best info on the Rams. Who knows. Personally, I think its because they all have a crush on you!!!!
    eace:

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Personally, I think its because they all have a crush on you!!!!eace:
    I like your theory BRM.

I never leave internet windows open at work since I am using way too many windows for work related things at one time, plus they record all the internet hits and sites, and create lists of the top internet violators. I wonder if I have ever made the top ten list.

Maybe there are a lot of people that obsess about football and need to know all the latest news. That is a possibility. I just can't imagine that people would keep a bunch of windows open all day long. That would have to suck the ram out of the computer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thoey is offline Registered User

Thing is Utter, I agree with you, but if I only post that, this will be deleted. But instead, to make this post viable, I have to add some drivel about the rest of the internet does not necessarily reflect what is going on at ClanRam.

Okay, sarcasm off. Most of us have been here for years. And we all know the off season sucks. It gets slow and there is not enough info to feed our hungry appetites. I just think that becoming a strict regime now when the numbers are already low is going to effect the number of people that come back here when the season starts.

Now, according to some, no names mentioned, but cough, BRM, cough, might be happier if it is only him and the mods here. Actually I don't mean that. I know that is not what he wants. But it seems like a bit of a holier than thow attitude. If you have not been a fan as long as we do or know as much history as we do, then go join the the STL Today forum. Again, I am pretty sure that is not what he means.

If you ask me, I am not sure which is worse. The growing pains this website is going through now or the Warner / Bulgar debates. Both are no win situations.

Of course, that is just my opinion.
    This space for rent...

Nice job with the drival thoey :up:

....but let me say something else so that my post will not be deleted.

I think a lot of the "I agree" and "nice post" comments are coming from people who have not posted that much before, or are perhaps young and inexperienced at expressing their thoughts. I probably have made some of those kind of posts in my time here as well. I don't mind having the kids around, and I don't think that most of them were posting small posts to increase their post count.

In our attempt at keeping the quality higher, we will push away the younger crowd. Then we will be left with a bunch of ol' farts. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Couple of points if I may..........

Firstly,

Why the hell would anyone want to inflate a post total?

Have they actually said "...sorry guys, I was just trying to inflate my post total....". What's the possible reward of inflating your post total? I just fail to see a motive.

Secondly,

It's not about signalling agreement or disagreement exclusivley, because there are other posts that have gotten wiped that have done more than merely signal agreement or disagreement, but were considered to not add value.

I'd also like to point out that as a forum that is open to the global fan base of the Rams, quite often you'll find that people post things or consider things posted here differently to people from North America or Europe and will act accordingly.

All that was asked for was an explanation.

I got one from Wraith that made all kinds of sense.

I made that clear in this thread.

I now know the parameters within which I can post.

Me and Alpha have traded some funnies on the subject since which I at least found funny and he seemed to too have added value to him and me. May not have done to anyone else, in which case.............

GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! (Via rep of course........)

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Are you talking about the bribe I had to pay you to keep your mouth shut and not rock the boat :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang

I got one from Wraith that made all kinds of sense.

I made that clear in this thread.

I would never seek inducement from a clannie winning mod.

However,

Those ten points on my rep along with a second greenie were very nice thanks Wraith heh heh..........

:bow:

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I keep trying over and over again to up the love, but I keep getting this message: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fat Pang again."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast