Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deletions

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: Deletions

LOL

I've got to spread some literal love too cos' you're closed off to me Wraith...........

:sad:

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    Most of us have been here for years. And we all know the off season sucks. It gets slow and there is not enough info to feed our hungry appetites. I just think that becoming a strict regime now when the numbers are already low is going to effect the number of people that come back here when the season starts.
    The fact that this minor change in policy now constitutes a "strict regime" makes me laugh.

All I can say is that your concern is noted. The bottom line is we received complaints about posts without content, enough for us to come up with a way to try and eliminate them.

We got complaints before this policy, and we get complaints after it. Not everyone's going to like everything we do, but that's life.

You said it yourself - no win situation. But as I've said before, I have no second thoughts at all about trying to come down on the side that's going to give the board a better overall quality in posts as well as address the concerns that members expressed prior to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    It's not about signalling agreement or disagreement exclusivley, because there are other posts that have gotten wiped that have done more than merely signal agreement or disagreement, but were considered to not add value.
    I would appreciate it if you could PM me details about these deleted posts so we can better fine-tune our system.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Now, according to some, no names mentioned, but cough, BRM, cough, might be happier if it is only him and the mods here. Actually I don't mean that. I know that is not what he wants. But it seems like a bit of a holier than thow attitude. If you have not been a fan as long as we do or know as much history as we do, then go join the the STL Today forum. Again, I am pretty sure that is not what he means.

If you ask me, I am not sure which is worse. The growing pains this website is going through now or the Warner / Bulgar debates. Both are no win situations.

Of course, that is just my opinion.
    If you are "pretty sure" that's not what I mean, you sure are giving a lot of opinion on something I didn't say! First off, the folks who take pride in their "post count" are obvious by both their own comments and comments by their supporters in the clammies. It has nothing to do with how long you have been a fan. Its about what you contribute to the message board. Let me explain again. If you call a radio station, and tell the call screener that you just want to tell the host you agree with the last caller and nothing else, what chances do you think you have at getting on the air?
    Tell me what you think. For example, the post you just made. It prompted a response. Would I have responded if you just said "I agree with you UtterBlitz" ? No, I wouldn't have. Class dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    In our attempt at keeping the quality higher, we will push away the younger crowd. Then we will be left with a bunch of ol' farts.
    Secondly, the sky isn't falling because us "old farts" as you feel are looking down from Mt. Olympus. Its simple house cleaning. Those that want their name posted on here have to come with something other than "Good Post" or "I agree". Of course, you young wipper snappers don't think us older folk know anything, do ya? BTW UB, you're straddling the fence on that "younger crowd"/"old fart" thing age wise, aren't ya?
    :tongue:
    Last edited by bigredman; -06-21-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Nah, she's already mad that I visit this site anyway. She could only watch a football game if Barry Sanders was playing. Since his retirement she's been supremely disinterested.

Rugby league is more her thing.

So............

GIVE IT TO ME!

This could get repetitive.........(groan)

That's OK as long as it isn't REPrehensible. I was going to give you the love, but it wouldn't let me even after I repped another...what a rep off!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This site is just REPlete with love Alpha I won't REPrimand you................

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

The length of this thread is REPrehensible. Please lock it to save the REPutation of ClanRam.
    In all seriousness, all of our questions and concerns have been answered imo and this thread is just never ending. If there are still questions that need to be answered then by all means excuse my comments, but hasn't this deletions thread ran its course?

I'm not leaving until I hear from RamsFan16 on this subject!!!!
    :tut
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    If you are "pretty sure" that's not what I mean, you sure are giving a lot of opinion on something I didn't say! First off, the folks who take pride in their "post count" are obvious by both their own comments and comments by their supporters in the clammies. It has nothing to do with how long you have been a fan. Its about what you contribute to the message board.
    First off, sorry, I only pointed to your post as you had posted above me. I did try to state in my post that I did not believe that was the way you felt, but more that that is how it could be taken. I will try to remember to not use your name as a fake example in the future.

Funny, I wasn't saying anything about post counts. Some people like to post a lot. Some don't. Whatever makes them happy. Believe it or not, people browse the internet for their own happiness, not for the happiness of the forum they post to.

For some, it is to see their words in print. Maybe they don't feel their voice is heard enough in real life, so being a predominate voice on a webpage gives them some self esteem. Others want to show off or share their knowledge. Some just want to be part of a family of like minded individuals. To each their own.

I have been a member at this, I believe, the 3rd home of ClanRam, for a long time. As can be seen by my post count, I don't post a whole lot, especially during the off-season, as it is usually not worth it.

But there is not one post that has any more weight or importance than any other. It just depends on the perspective you are coming from.

Let me explain again. If you call a radio station, and tell the call screener that you just want to tell the host you agree with the last caller and nothing else, what chances do you think you have at getting on the air?
    I did not know this was the Jim Rome Show and that it is the big Clone Smack Off competition that is by invite only.

Tell me what you think. For example, the post you just made. It prompted a response. Would I have responded if you just said "I agree with you UtterBlitz" ? No, I wouldn't have. Class dismissed.
    I did. And I posted it for myself, not because I was trying to evoke a comment from anyone else. Just how I felt about the situation.

As for class being dismissed, oh, never mind. I haven't been in school for so long, I am not sure what is the current cool reply to that. Just pretend I said it and we can continue. You'll feel happier that way.

Secondly, the sky isn't falling because us "old farts" as you feel are looking down from Mt. Olympus. Its simple house cleaning. Those that want their name posted on here have to come with something other than "Good Post" or "I agree". Of course, you young wipper snappers don't think us older folk know anything, do ya? BTW UB, you're straddling the fence on that "younger crowd"/"old fart" thing age wise, aren't ya?
    :tongue:
    Wow... Who died and left you the keys to Mount Olympus? Pretty pretentious to compare yourself to the local Gods. I think you might have a hard time lifting the shadows of Wraith, Dez, AR, Hub, and Nick. Might want to use a better analogy next time.

BRM, your knowledge of the RAMS is great. Your loyalty to the team is unquestioned. You add a lot to this website.

Just please don't think that you speak for everyone on the board or that the way you feel the board should be is the right way. You are just one opinion among many. Just like me. The only one with that sort of say/opinion is Dez...

Sign me an "Old Fart" that was happy with the board the way it was.
    This space for rent...

thoey is offline Registered User

Oh, please let me add that I am not attacking BRM here. It is a discussion like any other, say Warner / Bulgar... One opinion vs. another. I mean no disrespect to him and would be proud to stand next to him, enjoying a game and a beer together.

I tell you, the off season sucks...
    This space for rent...

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Sign me an "Old Fart" that was happy with the board the way it was.
    So you would rather see a board filled with meaningless agreement posts? Who wants to scroll through miles and miles of that garbage? Surely not you thoey. While I was gone from here, I ventured over to another Rams board which will remain nameless except to say they are reletively new to the Internet. It was mind numbing at best. Thread after thread of "Good morning" "I agree" "you're right" and "Congratulations on your 25th post" "Congratulations on your 26th post" "Good morning I agree with congratulations on your 26th post".

IT MADE ME WANT TO PULL OUT MY HAIR AND SLAP MY MOTHER!!!

thoey, that's not really what you want around here is it? Because in case you hadn't noticed that's the direction it was heading!
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

This site is just REPlete with love Alpha I won't REPrimand you................
    Good! I wouldn't want to be on REPort!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh, please let me add that I am not attacking BRM here. It is a discussion like any other, say Warner / Bulgar... One opinion vs. another. I mean no disrespect to him and would be proud to stand next to him, enjoying a game and a beer together.

I tell you, the off season sucks...
    Hey buddy, no problemo! You don't have to apologize. See how wonderful and interesting things are on here when you let your fingers fly on the keyboard. You are making my point beautifully. Look at you. You're stirring things up, getting folks to respond. Whether we agree with you or not is not the point. Its actually a GOOD THING that you are taking the position that you are. We don't agree, but that's OK. I love the mental exercise that disagreement brings.

Now, because I'm a God, of course I'm right, but I'll still love you. That's what Gods do. Here's a question for ya. Which God am I?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think what Thoey is alluding to is that there is a larger point being debated here then merely agreeing or disagreeing and posting something that indicates those states.

Fact remains is that 'old farts' were posting in this way quite happily for a fairly long time before the latest amendment to the posting rules.

Some of those 'old farts' have complained saying that these posts were ruining their enjoyment of the site and that 'young whipper snappers' were trying to up their post totals.

I personally have no idea why someone would want to 'up their post total', this isn't a game, it's a forum and the only difference between 100 posts and a 1000 posts is that, with a 100 you are a "rookie" and with a 1000 you are a "warrior". Now is that truly something to try and pursue and do we really think there are people out there who are doing it???????

And if they are, why on earth would it ruin your enjoyment of this site???

Come on people, it takes all sorts to make this world spin, lets not all act like this is a really big deal.

As for the miles and miles of agreement posts, I didn't see any, and as for the congratulatory posts........well, lets just say I've only seen Mods with high post totals get those.

As for the REPutation of this site, it maybe in danger of geting the label "Site that takes itself a little too seriously on occasion".

This thread only serves to demonstrate what I've said all along, value is a subjective thing and this will make more work for mods and cause more problems than it solves.

Just my opinion and opinion is why we're all here.

Isn't it?

P.S lets stop bashing the 'kids'.

Hey buddy, no problemo! You don't have to apologize. See how wonderful and interesting things are on here when you let your fingers fly on the keyboard. You are making my point beautifully. Look at you. You're stirring things up, getting folks to respond. Whether we agree with you or not is not the point. Its actually a GOOD THING that you are taking the position that you are. We don't agree, but that's OK. I love the mental exercise that disagreement brings.

Now, because I'm a God, of course I'm right, but I'll still love you. That's what Gods do. Here's a question for ya. Which God am I?
    Greek: Hephaestus
    Norse: Thor

Greek: Hephaestus
    Norse: Thor

Ding, ding, ding....damn Fat Pang, congratulations for correctly selecting Hephaestus, the God of fire and the forge who was the son of Zeus and Hera.

Hey man, will the wifey let ya fly back for the Bash this year? I've just got to party with you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast