Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 77

Thread: Deletions

  1. #61
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,908
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Deletions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    As for the REPutation of this site, it maybe in danger of geting the label "Site that takes itself a little too seriously on occasion".
    I dunno, it would seem to me the ones taking it a bit too seriously are those that think this one minor policy that affects a small percentage of posts is going to somehow have a negative reflection on the entire board. But that might just be me. :tongue:

    In fact, there are two important things that came out of this that will reflect quite well about the board: (1) the staff made it a point to listen to member concerns and try to do something about them, and (2) open discussion both in favor and against the policy has been allowed. That's quite a bit more than many boards would do.


  2. #62
    bigredman's Avatar
    bigredman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: Deletions

    Just took another stroll through this thread, and I must agree with Nick, I thought nothing of it when I had a post deleted for just agreeing. I shrugged and told myself "Self...no big deal...it was a junk post on my part anyway".

    As far as the young guns vs the old farts, I don't see it that way, but it may be the young guns immaturity or natural suspicion of anyone over the age of 30 of not knowing a damn thing and alway trying to ruin their fun. I never saw it as an issue aimed at the young posters, some of which are net buddies of mine.

    I know one thing. I've been to many boards, and the ones that are strictly controlled for content by MODs are the best ones. The rules apply to me as do anyone else here. I don't believe anyone or group is being singled out. Those that have stuck around to discuss this issue have certainly made their case and if nothing else, we've all grown a little together (Oh God, that last pearl made even me sick!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #63
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,908
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Deletions

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Those that have stuck around to discuss this issue have certainly made their case and if nothing else, we've all grown a little together (Oh God, that last pearl made even me sick!)
    I hope that's not a group hug I feel coming on...

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Glenrothes, SCOTLAND
    Posts
    9,963
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Deletions

    big hugs can be sent through the REPutation system.

    Anyone posting big hugs will be deleted.

























    stands back and waits for a reaction from those with no humour.


  5. #65
    evil disco man's Avatar
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,018
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Deletions

    "Come on, big guy, you can't just delete this face!"


    [continuing my awkward "evil disco" theme... ]

  6. #66
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Deletions

    :drunk: it's too early in the morning for that sight. :O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #67
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: Deletions

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Ding, ding, ding....damn Fat Pang, congratulations for correctly selecting Hephaestus, the God of fire and the forge who was the son of Zeus and Hera.

    Hey man, will the wifey let ya fly back for the Bash this year? I've just got to party with you!
    'Fraid not she's deeply suspicious of you all............besides, you'd end up in a dress and I'd end up in my birthday suit having conversations about tight ends...............


  8. #68
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: Deletions

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I dunno, it would seem to me the ones taking it a bit too seriously are those that think this one minor policy that affects a small percentage of posts is going to somehow have a negative reflection on the entire board. But that might just be me. :tongue:

    In fact, there are two important things that came out of this that will reflect quite well about the board: (1) the staff made it a point to listen to member concerns and try to do something about them, and (2) open discussion both in favor and against the policy has been allowed. That's quite a bit more than many boards would do.
    I absolutely promise this is the last word of mine on this subject..................

    It's a small percentage of posts so why make work for yourselves?

    I'll just keep doing what I've been doing ho hum

    Close this thread now quick, so that I actually can have the last word and so no-one can make hay with the birthday suit comment.

    :tongue:

  9. #69
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,294
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: Deletions

    It's a small percentage of posts so why make work for yourselves?
    The stlrams.com board was not shut down because of an immediate big problem. It started when a "small percentage" of non-relevant posts found their way in, and eventually these small problems became big problems within an unmoderated board. The PD board is the same thing. It's a cess pool of trolls and smack because they never took care of their little problems.
    I'll just keep doing what I've been doing
    Please do. You're an asset around here.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #70
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,908
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Deletions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    It's a small percentage of posts so why make work for yourselves?
    One, we're not making work for ourselves. That tends to imply that one day we just decided to do this out of the blue. As has been said many times, we're addressing problems reported to us by members.

    And why bother? For the same reason that we edit posts with cursing, even though by and large they aren't very common either - so that a passive attitude about it doesn't indirectly cause the behavior to grow.

    I'm obviously not comparing this to cursing, but hopefully you can see the point. HUb illustrated it pretty well. We prefer to address problems reported by our members when they're small rather than ignoring them and having to deal with them later when they get bigger or more frequent.

  11. #71
    RamsFanSam's Avatar
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,602
    Rep Power
    67

    Re: Deletions

    I've kept fairly quiet about this, at least for me, and even I find it surprising.

    Having been either a lurker or poster on this board since maybe 2000, I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, we want the board to grow and evolve. On the other, we want to keep the quality high. It's a fine line.

    One, we're not making work for ourselves. That tends to imply that one day we just decided to do this out of the blue. As has been said many times, we're addressing problems reported to us by members.
    And you guys are doing a good job, too. However, some of us are so darn nice that we really don't like saying anything bad about anyone unless someone has really crossed the line. Do we have a way to anonymously report a post to the mods? (Is that what the little triangle with an exclamation point is for?)

    This is one site I really don't mind my kids looking at....except for two things. #1 is the missing BOSH. Most kids today don't get exposed to fine literature, and the BOSH is in that category. #2 is the sickening photos on here. No, BRM, I don't mean you in a skirt...you've got the legs for it. I am talking about the picture EDM posted of Leo Sayers earlier in the thread....

    Seriously, I have never used the 'little triangle' before, because I am not sure what it does. Can you enlighten us?

  12. #72
    evil disco man's Avatar
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,018
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Deletions

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    I am talking about the picture EDM posted of Leo Sayers earlier in the thread....
    Hey now, anyone that has the guts to wear a Bob Ross 'do is cool in my book. Please don't insult my idols, I'm still in my formative years.

    Seriously, I have never used the 'little triangle' before, because I am not sure what it does. Can you enlighten us?
    As you suspected, this is just for the posts that go over the line and break the rules. All moderators get an email of any "reported posts" triggered by the little triangle. So if there's a post you just don't like, that doesn't necessarily break the rules, just use the negative rep. Don't feel bad, it's there for a reason. :clanram:

  13. #73
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    a
    Posts
    2,521
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Deletions

    What would Dr. Phil say about all of this?

    Evertone should do like me and kick back in their underwear, eating Cheetos off of my belly and posting here at ClanRam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  14. #74
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,908
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Deletions

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    And you guys are doing a good job, too. However, some of us are so darn nice that we really don't like saying anything bad about anyone unless someone has really crossed the line. Do we have a way to anonymously report a post to the mods? (Is that what the little triangle with an exclamation point is for?)
    EDM did a good job explaining that the red triangular caution sign next to the rep button is to report bad posts. Using it to report a post sends an e-mail to the staff about the post for us to come take care of it. This should usually be reserved for extreme cases of which I don't think I've ever really seen on this site.

    If you come across a post that you don't agree with simply because you don't agree with it - not because it violates rules or is rude or something that warrants being reported - you can always anonymously leave the "I disagree" feedback and not sign your name in the Reason box. It sounds kind of cruel to leave negative feedback, but as EDM said, it's there for a reason and will probably help balance out all the positive feedback that's also being left from people who agree with one another and are showing it as we've suggested.

  15. #75
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    a
    Posts
    2,521
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Deletions

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    EDM did a good job explaining that the red triangular caution sign next to the rep button is to report bad posts. Using it to report a post sends an e-mail to the staff about the post for us to come take care of it. This should usually be reserved for extreme cases of which I don't think I've ever really seen on this site.

    If you come across a post that you don't agree with simply because you don't agree with it - not because it violates rules or is rude or something that warrants being reported - you can always anonymously leave the "I disagree" feedback and not sign your name in the Reason box. It sounds kind of cruel to leave negative feedback, but as EDM said, it's there for a reason and will probably help balance out all the positive feedback that's also being left from people who agree with one another and are showing it as we've suggested.
    I think I am going to report this post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •