Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Do You Give Money To People By The Road With Cardboard Signs?

I see people with signs by the road staing that they need food and money. Do you give money to these people? If so, why? If not, why?

Am I the only one to notice that for being so desperate that they always seem to get a good marker to make their sign?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Do You Give Money To People By The Road With Cardboard Signs?

I have seen "Will _______ for _________" signs professionally printed on plastic being sold at a couple of convenience stores for $4.99. Now, I wonder something....how can a person who is broke afford one of these signs?

Instead of giving money to these people, I offer them the chance to work for the money. I only had ONE in the past seven years accept that offer. The rest declined. The one that did accept worked at the hospital with me for about 4 days, and was a great painter and sheetrock person. We offered him a permanent job at $8.00 an hour.

He said "No" and never came back.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I always prefer to think that I'm comfortable with my life and doing well enough to empty my pockets of loose change and bills whenever I see anybody who might benefit from it.

Having said that, I live in a place where people can be genuinely desperate and the welfare net is negligible.

I think positively about these men and women who put themselves through the humiliation of begging in the streets, because while some swing the lead, the vast majority don't have the same advantages as us.

Especially not here.

"I have seen "Will _______ for _________" signs professionally printed on plastic being sold at a couple of convenience stores for $4.99. Now, I wonder something....how can a person who is broke afford one of these signs?"

What convenience stores have you seen those at...just curious?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

One (no longer in business) was off of I-44 and Glenstone here in Springfield. The other was some run-down looking place near Joplin, I think on US 71. That place was more of a truck stop, and had all kinds of bumper stickers, etc. You could smell the dirty restrooms as soon as you walked into the store.

I paid for my gas and left rather quickly.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Mostly phonies, some are for real.

In Rockford, I often get my window knocked on while eating my drive-through lunch. When I offer part of my own lunch, said person ALWAYS has some digestive disorder that prevents him from eating Taco Bell or deep fried mushrooms. I tell them if they are not willing to eat food that's good enough for me, that I can't help them.

(The last fellow was a healthy looking mid-twenties male wearing a brand new Chicago White get up.) Years ago, I was snoozing at 2:00am at a rest stop in my car on I-95 in Connecticut, and a young lady knocked on my window. It seems she needed gasoline for her car. Well, guess what? I had a full gas can in the trunk! Oh, it's a diesel? (Then why'd she call it gasoline?) As I drove out, I saw her car . . . a Dodge Omni. There was no diesel version.

On the other hand, I was once ill on a flight going through Atlanta with a long lay over. I did not eat my styro enclosed airline meal (back when they gave you meals), and took it out on a walk on a long lay-over. A beggar said he needed food, I offered it to him, he graciously accepted, and when I walked around the block, I saw him tearing into it like he meant it.

Sometimes I pony up, sometimes I don't, but I have had jumper cables not returned, etc. On the other hand, when someone really is in need, helping out makes it worth it.

Milan is offline Registered User

I give it to em if they're playing instruments or something, but if they're just standing there I know that it's their own fault for not getting a job, or finishing high school or whatever.

general counsel is offline Registered User

In new york city, i once offered a homeless guy who asked me for money half a pizza that i was taking home. He thanked me but told me he couldnt eat it since he kept kosher. I do give money to people on the street rather than to organized charities where money gets eaten up by admin expenses. I appreciate that the money may get used for booze, but whatever gets you through the night..

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I don't like being solicited. I don't care if its homeless people on the street, Girl Scouts, telemarketers, or the bell-ringing Salvation Army Santa during Christmas time.

If I want to give my money, I can do so on my own. I don't like people coming to me with their hand out.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Its mean some people will say but I don't. The 10-15 hours they spend standing out there with the sign is time they could be working in some place like McDonalds or something. But I feel bad when I see a cute dog with a sign. Its sad But saddly I don't.
    RamsFan16

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I have never given money to a person on the side of the road holding a sign. They seem too business like for my liking. You might be able to make more money begging than working and I don't want to encourage that.

I am a bit of a softy though and I have given to people on the street if they catch my attention and I am sympathatic to their story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One of our local TV stations did this very thing to test the profitabilty. In three hours, the guy scored $98 and three slices of pizza. They gave the money collected to the Salvation Army.

This was done about ten years ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    . But I feel bad when I see a cute dog with a sign.
    "Give me money or my owner will eat me."

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Absolutely not. I know this makes me sound awful, but so be it. You never know when one of those guys might be a fugitive from another state hiding out in your town with enough malice to get your license plate number, have it run, and start stalking you or worse.

Nope.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Truth is offline Registered User

I've often given food and spare change.

I do remember a special report. I think it was on 60 Minutes. It was about people that actually make a pretty good living from begging. They followed a couple of people with hidden cameras. They would spend the day working the corner, or off-ramp. Then they would walk to their cars and drive home.

Now, I'm not saying that all people asking for money are like this. It's just something to be aware of. I will continue to give. I can't follow these people around to determine their sincerity. The money that i'm giving isn't going to put my family out on the street. I'd also like to think that the majority of people that are asking for my spare change need it.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast