Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Healthy

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Eating Healthy

I love food. Not just food....decadent food. Death by Chocolate Ice Cream smothered in hot fudge. Bacon. Steak. Krispy Kremes.
    To me, vegetables are not food, they are what food eats.

At least, until last week.

I spent six hours in the Emergency Room at the hospital. Seems as though I had carried a cart up a flight of stairs, and when I got to the top, I had a sudden, EXTREMELY painful headache that came on all at once. I had blurry vision, couldn't think clearly, and felt like I would pass out any second.
    Right then, I was glad I worked at a hospital.
    I don't really remember much of what happened for the rest of the day. I remember someone saying my blood sugar was 85, my blood pressure was way too high, getting a CT scan, then an MRI. They said that I did not have an aneurysm. My vision slowly returned to normal, and my headache slowly faded.
    Friday, I got the results from all of the tests that my doctor had done. He said everything was perfect except my blood pressure and my cholesterol levels were both way too high.
    Suffice to say, Mom isn't letting me get by with anything. No ice cream, no Krispy Kremes, no T-bones. Real eggs? Nope.
    She has me eating things called 'salads'. She discovered a way to cook foods that doesn't involve frying. (I never knew that it was possible!!!) She has me drinking this white-colored water she calls 'skim milk'. Chocolate? Out of the question....

My metabolism has always been high enough that I have to eat about 3000 calories a day just to maintain my weight. Now, instead of a quick death by stroke, I must endure a slow death by lettuce and starvation. The most substantial thing I ingest everyday is one Lipitor tablet.

How can anyone think eating this way is healthy? Rabbits eat food like this. Rabbits are all small and fat, and they don't live long.

Since Mom has me eating like I'm some sort of 'New-Age' weirdo from California, you guys need to do me a favor: If I start acting like some 'New-Age' weirdo, please shoot me for my own good, OK?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Eating Healthy

One word: moderation.

I too take lipitor. With me, its more of a genetic predisposition for high cholesterol rather than a product of a high fat diet.

To me, the only type of diet that makes sense is one of moderation. Eat low-fat, high protein foods Monday through Friday, and let yourself have a few slices of pizza on Saturday.

Its not easy, and I probably need to drop a few pounds myself. But it beats the alternative.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

To me, the only type of diet that makes sense is one of moderation. Eat low-fat, high protein foods Monday through Friday, and let yourself have a few slices of pizza on Saturday.
    this is certainly sensible advice. There is nothing wrong with splurging and eating pizza or tacos once or even twice a week, just try to eat it kinda early in the day so that you will have a chance to burn it off. And this is coming from a man that loves some taco bell!

general counsel is offline Registered User

One word buddy. EXERCISE. Diet will help a lot, but you are correct, we are men, not rabbits. You want to enjoy life and eat your share of the junk, you have to work it off. At our age, metabalism being what it is, diet alone wont get it done, you will starve to death. There is no reason to deprive yourself all the time, moderation is great, but the more you fire up the furnace, the more you burn, the more you can eat and still control your health.

At the end of the day, weight is a function of calories in minus calories out. If you dont want to cut out all the fun stuff to materially alter the calories in side of the equation, you have to alter the calories out (ie burned) side of the equation. Also, learn how to drink tons of water. It really does help you fill up. Given that you have been known to drink an entire keg of beer over a weekend (just kidding), a gallon of water a day should be manageable and will really help you control your appetite. last point. Try to eat slowly, it will really help as well.

ramming speed to all (i lost 80 pounds before i turned into a fitness freak so i have some experience with this)

general counsel

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Just eat a lot of chicken and fish guy and you'll be ok. A lot of chicken and fish,also take some omega 3. If you smoke,Take a group load of vitamin C,but an occasional beer really helps thin the blood.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Eating healthy after eating anything you want sounds like a difficult change. You should be happy that you have Tawn there to force you to eat the rabbit food. She must want to keep you around.

Good luck with the change Sam. Are you trying to stop smoking at the same time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

EXERCISE.
    At work, I end up walking about 8 miles a day, lifting a lot of weight, do a lot of climbing, plus I have two fairly large dogs that love to go for long walks.
    an occasional beer really helps thin the blood.
    Beer. Dr. McKay has told me that I can have a limited amount of beer. He said that Monday through Thursday, I can only drink beer after 4:30 P.M., and only until bedtime. On Fridays and Saturdays, only ONE (case of 24 cans) per day, and on Sundays, especially during football season, I can have up to 18 cans. Oh, and I can't drink beer when I operate machinery or work around electricity. He said liquid bread is good for me.
    You should be happy that you have Tawn there to force you to eat the rabbit food. She must want to keep you around.
    I think you may be right. After all, just the other night, she served me a nice dinner. A 4 ounce grilled skinless chicken breast, rice (no butter or salt), and a baked potato (no butter, sour cream, or salt). I ate every bite while watching her eat a nice 10 ounce sirloin, a fully loaded baked potato with lots of real bacon, hot rolls with honey butter, and a big bowl of 'Extreme Moose Tracks' ice cream smothered in hot fudge...

Hey.....

On second thought, maybe she's just enjoying watching me suffer!!!!!! You don't think she enjoying torturing me, do you?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    On second thought, maybe she's just enjoying watching me suffer!!!!!! You don't think she enjoying torturing me, do you?
    That sounds pretty close to torture, all though some may call it tough love. I think she is enjoying it.

Hey Sam, I just want you to know that you are not the only one suffering. I'll post in the last email that I got from my Mom. She is all worked up about helping my Dad with his new diet.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz's mom
    I thought I would send you dad's diet. He is now on a heart healthy diet.

Dad is now on a vegetarian diet without fish, chicken, milk, eggs or regular cheese. We are planning the diet as we go along. This morning dad had a breakfast of eggbeaters omelet with vegetables and soy cheese, salad of spinach and tomatoes, soymilk and banana. Lunch is homemade beans with blackstrap molasses, zucchini cooked with onions and garlic and an orange. In the afternoon, he has whole grain toasted bread with peanut butter and soymilk. Dinner will be Sturm's healthy for your heart whole grain oatmeal, soymilk, fresh strawberries, and yogurt. If he gets hungry, you will often find him chewing on some fresh cabbage. He also adds a small amount of almonds each day. Other vegetables he has are sweet potatoes, butternut squash, green beans, brussel sprouts, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, etc. This diet is supposed to reverse heart damage. Wonder what they will say about the diet.

As for me, I am finishing the last bit of hamburger and two pork chops. I made my favorite stuffed peppers and am enjoying every morsel. After the meat is finished, I will be joining him on this diet. We meet with the nutritionist next Friday. Let you know how we make out. Dad is truly becoming a rabbit HA!
    The diet sounds pretty disgusting and she does not sound very nice either. hmmmmm :tut
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Hey Sam, the good ole days of our 20's have passed us by but I'll tell you if I don't BBQ in me at least 4 times a week I'm not pleasant.

Tell y'all this, a bullet sometimes only cost 10 cents. If I have to go on the type of diet that Utter's dad is on, shoot me it's cheaper.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Rabbits eat food like this. Rabbits are all small and fat, and they don't live long.
    Yea but, there is something else that rabbits do.....well, like rabbits.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Yea but, there is something else that rabbits do.....well, like rabbits.
    Then do you think Mom would mind me hanging out with these bunnies?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I don't really care what I eat. I eat whatever tastes good at the time. I usually eat breakfast (2 Cocoa Puff Ceral Bars and 2 little CHoclate milk they have at school) don't eat lunch and then eat a little for supper but I snack alot too. But I also stay healthy and in shape because I play basketball up at our Gym everynight from 7 - 10
    RamsFan16

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I was 16 once too. Just wait!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    I don't really care what I eat. I eat whatever tastes good at the time. I usually eat breakfast (2 Cocoa Puff Ceral Bars and 2 little CHoclate milk they have at school) don't eat lunch and then eat a little for supper but I snack alot too. But I also stay healthy and in shape because I play basketball up at our Gym everynight from 7 - 10
    Enjoy your youth my man. Enjoy your youth.

I just gained two pounds reading the words cocoa and chocolate in the same sentence.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Enjoy your youth my man. Enjoy your youth.

I just gained two pounds reading the words cocoa and chocolate in the same sentence.
    Haha lmao. I'll drink choclate milk and eat cocoa puff ceral bars but I really don't like chocolate. Too sweet
    RamsFan16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast