JM7
    JM7 is offline Registered User

The Fans DO Have a Say: Help Study Ourselves (HELP!...please)

Hey everyone, I am currently working on a Discourse Community Ethnography for my critical writing class. In a nutshell, a discourse community is any group of people that have a set of goal and use communication to reach those goals. The goal of the assignment is to study a discourse community and then write a short case study to that community. Naturally I selected the Clan for my study. All of my research is based on the work of linguists John Swales, Ann Johns, and Elizabeth Wardle. For part of my research I need the input of members of the community, so If you could, can you take the time to respond to the following questions? Feel free to add any information about ClanRam you would like to share. Thanks in advance!

1. What goals do you have as an individual in this community and for the community as a whole?

2. Can you describe the lexis (the way we speak, any specific terms, ect) that we use?

3. What mechanisms of communication do you use to contact other members?

4. Does the community utilize and posses one or more genres of writing? Which ones?

5. Does the community have a reasonable ratio of novices and experts contributing to the community?

6. What are the most memorable conflicts within the community? How were they solved?

7. What are your favorite memories as a member of the community?

8. Have you ever felt that your views or values have been in conflict with the community?

JM7

Re: The Fans DO Have a Say: Help Study Ourselves (HELP!...please)

Can anyone help me out, please?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm always one to help educate the youth of today, so why not?
    1. What goals do you have as an individual in this community and for the community as a whole?
    As a moderator my goal is the see the rules of this board enforced. As a member my goal is to both educate and be educated regarding all things Ram. As for the community as a whole, I want to see the Clan be THE go-to site for all Rams fans.

2. Can you describe the lexis (the way we speak, any specific terms, ect) that we use?
    In most ways our vocabulary is as diverse as the members. Our members across the pond use all sorts of words that I have no idea what they mean. Vice versa, I'm sure. However, there are several words that we all have in common, and they are the words uttered by individuals who have "some" knowledge of the topic (NFL football in general, Rams football specifically). Let's face it....we ALL played football at some level; nearly all of us in High School, some of us in College, absolutely NONE of us professionally. Therefore, our subject is beyond our own knowledge base, but together we manage to pool some information, and a buttload of ignorance. And I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just being sincere......we really don't know enough to speak to the inner workings of the NFL. But I'm digressing. To answer your question, we speak in terms of educated fans. Moreso than the common schmo at the nearest sports bar, but far less than those who actually speak professionally to the subject.

3. What mechanisms of communication do you use to contact other members?
    You may need to clarify the question. You mean like posting in a thread vs. private messaging?

4. Does the community utilize and posses one or more genres of writing? Which ones?
    Absolutely. Some are soft-spoken bringers of thought, opinion, and question. Others dabble in satire (some with awesome results). And still others' go to move is straight-up rectal cavity. They tend to impress themselves, but few others. That's just a few, there's many more.

5. Does the community have a reasonable ratio of novices and experts contributing to the community?
    Depends who you ask. And how you define "expert". None of us are true experts. However, there is a solid cadre of members who speak with logic and fact. That's about as close as we can get for a fan site.

6. What are the most memorable conflicts within the community? How were they solved?
    Hmmm. Not going to air any dirty laundry, but suffice to say, we don't always play well with others. Viewpoints are RARELY changed around here. So, on a good day, conflicts are solved with the old fashioned "agree to disagree". Which we all know is actually "you're an idiot and wrong, but I'm tired of arguing". On a bad day, people get personal and out of control......and the big red button has to be pushed.

7. What are your favorite memories as a member of the community?
    the BASH. Anytime one can make it to the Bash, a good time will be had. Around here, every time there's a good discussion, I would say a favorite memory is created.

8. Have you ever felt that your views or values have been in conflict with the community?
    Each time that everyone but me is wrong.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

JM7

Thank you so much for answering. It will help me piece together my paper. I really like the point that you bring up about the members of a fan site being below the experts, but because of our community and pooled knowledge, we are raised above the casual fans.

[QUOTE]Let's face it....we ALL played football at some level; nearly all of us in High School, some of us in College, absolutely NONE of us professionally. Therefore, our subject is beyond our own knowledge base, but together we manage to pool some information, and a buttload of ignorance. And I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just being sincere......we really don't know enough to speak to the inner workings of the NFL. But I'm digressing. To answer your question, we speak in terms of educated fans. Moreso than the common schmo at the nearest sports bar, but far less than those who actually speak professionally to the subject.[/QUOTE

I do realize that, as fans, we are not on the same level as the professionals, but with the advancements in technology, the internet, social media, and all other sources of information, fans are more informed than ever before. The purpose within my paper is to argue that by being labeled as a discourse community by linguists, educators, experts, and scholars would give a rag tag group of fans the credibility to hold their own with the professionals in a discussion. Hence the title The Fans DO Have a Say. What are you feelings about that?

And to clarify on question 3: I am looking for any method you use to contact a member of the Clan. Whether its in a thread, private messages, email, facebook, twitter, phone, or in person.