Chiledog Guest

Freedom of the press abuse?

Russia Will Revoke ABC-TV's Permission
    Tuesday, August 02, 2005

MOSCOW — Russia's Foreign Ministry said Tuesday it will not renew permission for ABC-TV (search) to operate in the country after the network broadcast an interview with a notorious Chechen warlord...

The ministry called the broadcast a "clear fact supporting the propaganda of terrorism" and said it "resounded with direct calls for violence against Russian citizens."

---------------------------------

Do you believe that Russia is wrong in taking this action? Or do you believe that the media sometimes goes to far in it's reporting, and puts people in danger because of it?
    -

rawkhrdr Guest

Re: Freedom of the press abuse?

I don't think that Russia really cares about freedom of the press and all that. I think that the government there will do what ever it wants, especially with Putin in charge. He (Putin) is about one step up from a hardline communist and we are lucky that we have as much access as we do. Remember Chernobyl, they hid that from everybody for weeks, as have they hid almost every other major incident that has happened inside there borders since Lenin lead the revolution. There is no reason for them to change their ways now.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

I don't know what the ABC article had to say, so I'm not going to pass judgement. However, I will say that suppression of freedom of the press is disgusting, but abuse of that freedom is equally stomach turning. Our media have abused that freedom to the point of extinction for true "reporting". Now we are left with spin wolves in reporter's sheep clothing. Whether it be from the right (Fox) or from the left (every national outlet not named Fox), true reporting is as dead as the dinosaurs.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Chiledog Guest

I don't think that Russia really cares about freedom of the press --- rawkhrdr
    I agree with you completely here. Russia certainly tends to try to keep its dirty laundry a secret.

However, I will say that suppression of freedom of the press is disgusting, but abuse of that freedom is equally stomach turning. --- Roy G. Biv
    I agree as well. Freedom of the press, as well as all other freedoms, are important and without a doubt worth fighting for. However, I also believe that with freedoms come responsibilities. Like you, I do not know exactly what was said in the ABC interview, but I have seen occasions of irresponible reporting by the media in the past, which have put the lives of our countrymen at risk. In cases like that, I believe the government should take a stand to protect its citizens. After all, the media only cares about making a buck.
    -

psycho9985 Guest

Russia and China are having War games as we post.Oh its not a threat to America! its just exercises in protecting the region. Ya right.American media(other than fox)Oh thank you for that reasurance we love you.The American gov. and media Are either Blind to our coming destruction or they approve of it.:sad: