Thread: Gandalf is back

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Gandalf is back

For all you Lord of the Ring fans...it's back!! The Hobit will begin filming soon.

Ian McKellan to Return as Gandalf

Written by Stephanie Sanchez
    Wednesday, 30 April 2008

I guess you're never too old to play a wizard who's hundred of years old...Ian McKellan announced this week that he would be returning to the Gandalf role in the new Guillermo del Toro helmed "Hobbit."

Empire Magazine got the goods,

"Yes, it's true," McKellen told Empire magazine.

"I spoke to Guillermo in the very room that Peter Jackson offered me the part and he confirmed that I would be reprising the role. Obviously, it's not a part that you turn down, I loved playing Gandalf."

Del Toro, whose credits include "Pan's Labyrinth", will move to New Zealand for the next four years to work on both "Hobbit" films with executive producer Jackson, according to New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios.

The studios have said that filming will begin in 2009, with tentative release dates set of 2010 for the first film and 2011 for the sequel.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Gandalf is back

Oh wow. Time to complete my DVD collection of the lord of the rings.

I actually went to the movie theatre on base when they played both films before they lead to the opening of the third one. fun day.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

I have heard that The Hobbit will be done in two parts.

The two “Hobbit” films – “The Hobbit” and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of “The Hobbit” release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.
    The Hobbit: The Official Movie Blog » PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE “THE HOBBIT”
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Hobbit will be the first movie. The second movie will be something completely different, a bridge between The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy based on other Tolkien source material. Personally I don't have high expectations for the second prequel, but The Hobbit should be great, especially with McKellan inked to return as Ganldalf the Grey.

Absolutely love the Lord of the Rings - I'm actually rereading it now with summer looming. Such an incredible universe and story.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Hobbit will be the first movie. The second movie will be something completely different, a bridge between The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy based on other Tolkien source material. Personally I don't have high expectations for the second prequel, but The Hobbit should be great, especially with McKellan inked to return as Ganldalf the Grey.

Absolutely love the Lord of the Rings - I'm actually rereading it now with summer looming. Such an incredible universe and story.
    Why ruin a perfectly good set of books with a fabrication? Tolkien didn't need anybody to bridge the gap between The Hobbit and The LOTR Trilogy.

These movie guys just cannot help but think we need their interpretations. Even in LOTR PJ added stuff that wasn't there and left out other stuff HE didn't feel was necessary. All-in-all he did a great job but why can they not just leave the story alone while commemorating it to film (or disc)?

I have read all the books probably better than 20X in my life and they never get old.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Just finished reading The Hobbit in my English class. I had read it a few years ago, but it definitely sparked up my interests once more. I'm now re reading the trilogy.

Thought the movies were great, and to stick up for the movie guys, it is probably pretty tough to get everything from hundreds of pages into a three hour movie and please everyone. Looking forward to The Hobbit as long as Peter Jackson is still associated with it.

By the way, good to see Rams fans with fantasy interests as well, most of my friends cringed at the thought of actually reading a book!

[QUOTE=C-Mob 71;230376]

By the way, good to see Rams fans with fantasy interests as well [QUOTE]

Probably more than just those who would admit to it!

After all most of us are probably married?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Fantastic news.

With Jackson on board its bound to be true to its roots.