RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Gone Legal, and I'm proud.

I recently tried pirating Adobe Photoshop, and it turns out that it wasn't Vista compatible. I kept it in my Torrent program, and it kept being uploaded, and downloaded by other users. I completely forgot that it was in there.

So a few days ago, I get a letter from my Internet Provider stating that I have 24 hours to remove Photoshop, and the files or else I could get hit with a $250,000 fine and a few years in prison. They considered it a friendly warning, and I agreed.

It was a real eye opener, and made me think a lot. I have a few pirated programs on my computer from friends, and I took them off.

That being said, I'm in college as some may know, and going for Web Graphic Design, where I use a lot of Adobe products, and software, which was why I was pirating it to get it. After I got that, I googled Adobe for Students, and found that they have a student website that gives great discounts. Upon decision, I decided to purchase the Adobe Premium Suite: Student Addition, it has ALL of the features as all of the others, but cheaper for students.

So a $1,800 program, I got for $400.

So: That's one step closer to legalizing myself.

Next, I had Microsoft Office Enterprise from a friend, so I decided to uninstall that, and since I work for Best Buy, I get accodomodations. And through one, if I'm a Microsoft Office expert, I can win a Free copy of Office Standard. And I didj.

So I went from a load of illegal programs, to everything LEGAL.

Office, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash, everything... and The last few months, I've bought all my CDs after I downloaded them. So I've increased my CD collection, a lot.

This may be a pointless post to some, but now, since I have everything Bought and Paid for. I feel ALOT better, I feel proud that I'm not involved with pirating, I feel great.

RamsFan16

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Re: Gone Legal, and I'm proud.

Well congrats on going legal! Glad you are proud!
    August Back to School!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I haven't paid for most of the software on my computer. I use the free open-source alternatives. Microsoft Office? Nope. Open Office. Soundforge? Nope...Audacity.

While there are times I do need the "real thing" and have to pay for it, most times I can find a free alternative that works as good - sometimes better.

shower beers is online now Registered User

I know you have already purchased the Adobe suite, but are you aware of Gimp? It's an open source alternative to Photoshop, completely free. There's also NVU, a Dreamweaver clone, that's free. I know there are others, but I can't remember their names off hand. I also use Open Office, and I actually prefer it to Microsoft's version of the suite.

Congrats on going legal in that respect. I can't imagine how deeply in debt I would be if I had to do it myself...but good for you!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Upon decision, I decided to purchase the Adobe Premium Suite: Student Addition, it has ALL of the features as all of the others, but cheaper for students.

So a $1,800 program, I got for $400.

So: That's one step closer to legalizing myself.

Next, I had Microsoft Office Enterprise from a friend, so I decided to uninstall that, and since I work for Best Buy, I get accodomodations. And through one, if I'm a Microsoft Office expert, I can win a Free copy of Office Standard. And I didj.

So I went from a load of illegal programs, to everything LEGAL.

Office, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash, everything... and The last few months, I've bought all my CDs after I downloaded them. So I've increased my CD collection, a lot.

This may be a pointless post to some, but now, since I have everything Bought and Paid for. I feel ALOT better, I feel proud that I'm not involved with pirating, I feel great.
    Hey buddy, can ya burn a copy of those CD's and label them with the codes so I can use them? Um. I guess I didn't get the point of your thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    While there are times I do need the "real thing" and have to pay for it, most times I can find a free alternative that works as good - sometimes better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    What? No RAMS Tats....NEXT!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I know you have already purchased the Adobe suite, but are you aware of Gimp? It's an open source alternative to Photoshop, completely free. There's also NVU, a Dreamweaver clone, that's free. I know there are others, but I can't remember their names off hand. I also use Open Office, and I actually prefer it to Microsoft's version of the suite.

Congrats on going legal in that respect. I can't imagine how deeply in debt I would be if I had to do it myself...but good for you!
    I am aware of those , and I've used them a few times, but I still prefer the Adobe suite. And I figured, it's going to be my future, why not start now?

Also, I got the package today, I haven't installed them but I'm extremely EXCITED!

Thanks for the comments guys, and BigRedMan... that was only a one night stand with her, I've moved on..ok, drop it
    RamsFan16

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Awesome. Now if you'll just stop sneaking across the border with a sphincter full of brown rock baloons, you'll be on the straight and narrow.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    Awesome. Now if you'll just stop sneaking across the border with a sphincter full of brown rock baloons, you'll be on the straight and narrow.

Gosh Roy that was evil! Very funny but definitely evil!!

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Gosh Roy that was evil! Very funny but definitely evil!!
    Roy loves that RamsFan16 kid. Especially knowing where he was as a poster just a couple of years ago. That 16 kid used to do some silly stuff around here, but he's primetime now. He's not like some of these nutless wonders that complain because they MUST_LOGIN_TO_LURK. He found his way around here, and is a solid dude now.

But, God love me, I can't pass up a drug mule joke.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    Roy loves that RamsFan16 kid. Especially knowing where he was as a poster just a couple of years ago. That 16 kid used to do some silly stuff around here, but he's primetime now. He's not like some of these nutless wonders that complain because they MUST_LOGIN_TO_LURK. He found his way around here, and is a solid dude now.

But, God love me, I can't pass up a drug mule joke.
    I appreciate it, and I knew you were joking around

I usually crossed the boarder once, and it was accidental
    RamsFan16

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm glad one of us is doing that in college man. I'm broke! haha. I'm too lazy to get on microsoft and retrieve my product key for microsoft office ultimate. haha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Tell me about it. I am broke too and am on disability! But guess this is a reason for everything under heaven and earth! Go figure!
    August Back to School!