AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Grand SitCom Unification Theory

I'm going to let you in on a secret that seems to have eluded the networks for the past 10-15 years. There is a basic formula that is common to a large percentage of the most successful SitComs of all-time.

Some SitComs succeed purely on the basis of a cast member's talent or charisma (i.e. Seinfeld, Cosby, Friends). But that's not a formula that can be followed. There simply aren't enough unique talents out there for that to be the blueprint.

Rather, the common element of the majority of good SitComs is the following:

Create a plausible reason for people who are very different to interact over an extended period of time.

Examples:

All in the Family: Right-wing, Blue Collar father (Archie) forced to interact with Left-wing, academic (The Meathead) due to marriage with his daughter.

M*A*S*H: War forces people from different backgrounds to live and work together.

Cheers: Failed relationship with her Professor/boyfriend forces snooty intellectual grad student Diane to take job at bar and interact with Sam and the gang.

Taxi: Down-on-their luck dreamers all interact while tryint to make a living at cab company (with exception of Alex, who admits that he's the "only cab driver" that works there).

Family Ties: Ex-60s Hippy parents have teen son growing up in Reagan 80s.

Mary Tyler Moore: Mary's decision not to just become a housewife thrusts her into male dominated workforce of strange characters.

Golden Girls: Four women who may have had little in common during their younger years find common ground in retirement.

The Fresh Prince: Inner-city teen sent to live with rich relatives to avoid bad neighborhood.

The principle has also worked for several fish-out-water comedy/dramas: Northern Exposure, Ed.

The antithesis of this is the non-plausible and wholly contrived situation that forces people to interact (i.e. Different Strokes).

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: The Grand SitCom Unification Theory

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm going to let you in on a secret that seems to have eluded the networks for the past 10-15 years. There is a basic formula that is common to a large percentage of the most successful SitComs of all-time.

The antithesis of this is the non-plausible and wholly contrived situation that forces people to interact (i.e. Different Strokes, BOSOM BUDDIES).
    YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT, AV!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

That's also why "Reality TV" is the worst type of TV. Talk about contriving reasons to have people interact (The Real World, Survivor, Big Brother). What crappola!

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

A very true and good analysis AV.

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Your calling the Fresh Prince a good TV sitcom?

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    That's also why "Reality TV" is the worst type of TV. Talk about contriving reasons to have people interact (The Real World, Survivor, Big Brother). What crappola!
    I disagree. These people interact for the most basal of reasons.........greed.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    Your calling the Fresh Prince a good TV sitcom?

Fresh Prince is and always will be AWESOME I love that show...

West Philidelphia born and raised,
    on the playgrounds is where I spent most of my days.

Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' play some b-ball after some school,

When a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood.

I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said
    "You're moving with your aunty and uncle in Belair.

I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and had a dice on the mirror.

If anything I could tell that this cab was rare,
    I said Yoho to Belair.

We pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and yelled to the cabby smell ya later,
    I looked at my kingdom I was finally there sittin' on my throne as the prince of Belair.

One of those theme songs that sticks in your head.( sorry if that was off topic)