Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Milan is offline Registered User

Re: Great americans of the 20th century

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    1st - Fat Pang, I agree, your comments are welcome.

As far as the 'Greatest American', this is a tough one. There are so many great ones, so many bad ones. In the Great category, I submit these for nomination, along with my reason:

Jonas Salk - developer of the polio vaccine.

Nikola Tesla (actually Austro-Hungarian, but I think he was a naturalized citizen, even if not, he adopted the USA) - the man who made practical the use of electricity in America, among other things. (Bet you thought it was Edison, huh?)

John F. Kennedy - inspired the USA to grow from a post-war, paranoid cold war country into a country with a common goal: to work together to reach the moon.

Lyndon Johnson and Martin Luther King: They never worked together, but they both worked towards establishing equality for all people.

Alan Sheppard - he took the first step to outer space for America.
    Actually, Tesla is Serbian.
    My dad knows a lot about him as We're Serbian too.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Milan
    Actually, Tesla is Serbian.
    My dad knows a lot about him as We're Serbian too.
    Ok, I may have to give in on this. The source I got this from stated Austro-Hungarian, but perhaps they were in fact referring to the "Austro-Hungarian Empire" of the past rather than the specific country he was born in.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

GC,
    Remember, I said that perhaps our country erred on the side of caution. There was a good reason behind the internment, we were attacked by the Japanese. I am guessing but I assume that the gov. felt very threatened by the possibility of a 5th column.

During the early part of the war, there was a strong US Military concern that the Japanese were going to invade the US. Patton was ordered to prepare to defend against an invasion. US intel thought of several places, including the Aleutians, and Mexico. Patton thought Mexico, but he was wrong and the Aleutian Islands were invaded and overtaken by Japanese troops. There was no such threat of German land invasion.

In times of war, I think certain rules / rights, etc. can be stepped on. I hope they would be in times of grave danger.

If we were not in a time of war, then of course I'd agree with you completely.

---

Take this argument to today. I hope our Country profiles Muslim Arabs. I hope they keep watch on those associated with Islamic fundamentalism.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, but most of today's terrorists, fighting against America, are Muslims. If you don't believe me, you can examine both FBI, and CIA sites that deal with terrorism. The list of Islamic terrorist groups overwhelms all others.

Gee, the Palestinians just put a bonafide Islamic terrorist organization in charge of their country, one that is pledged to exterminate Israel. I have no problem keeping tight tabs on those associated with Hamas.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

If ya'll are talking science, then Shockley gets the nod.
    If you're talking Military, its Patton.
    Politics, a lot of good folk to choose from... FDR, Kennedy, Reagan. My knowledge does not extend well past WW2.
    Ford and his car.
    Wilbur and Orville.
    Oppenhimer.

And hey, let's not forget the very best: the brothers Horowitz, and Mr. Fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12