Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

Re: Has Anyone Had Arthroscopic Knee Surgery?

ramsbruce, i had the surgery done twice. it is pretty minor. you will be in and out of there in no time, listen to the dr. and your p/t, i was up & walking with in 24 hrs., tho it was stiff. the worst thing you can do is baby it, try & get as much movement back asap. good luck & you'll be up & runnin in no time.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Completely understandable, Bruce. It's like the saying goes, the only minor surgery is the suregery the other guy is having.
    That's the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

Thanks to all for their input.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I had a full knee reconstruction in 1992 for a torn ACL and meniscus. That was painful, and the recovery was no picnic (I was on crutches for 10 weeks).

In 2001, I had it rescoped to remove some torn cartilage/scar tissue. That was no big deal. I was playing softball (albeit with a slight limp) just over a week later.

As for the meds, here's my advice. Take the bottle, and separate out two or three doses. Use them during the first day or two after the surgery (I recommend Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here as the album of choice while under the influence). Throw away the rest - they are very addictive.

SFCRamFan Guest

I've had five total left knee surgeries: 2 scopes, 1 corrective, 1 reconstructive, and 1 total joint replacement. I will take the scope any day. It really is not a big deal (easy for others to say as Bison aptly put). Just do the rehab following surgery to avoid losing any range of motion. The physical terrorists, I mean physical therapists, will probably tell you to use this acronym for off time recovery:

R.I.C.E.

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

This will cut down on pain following activity or therapy and will keep you from using too many of those addictive pain killers the Av spoke about. Good Luck!!

PA_gal_in_OK Guest

Anyone had it and what kind of pain, problems and hassle am I in for? :down:
    I had it done on my left knee. Its not too painful compared to the pain you may be experiencing now. I was back to work the day after I had my surgery. You'll need to keep it elevated for 3-5 days. A couple of days after surgery your leg or knee, what have you, will feel like it has a bandana wrapped around it overly tight. That tightness will go away IF YOU LISTEN TO THE DOC. Personally, Im glad I had it done, although I still have alot of tightness in my knee. You guessed it, I didnt listen. I will have to go get it tapped but Im just not ready to get it done yet. I have been saying since November that it will go away by itself... maybe I will actually convince my knee of it.. Oh another thing is that they will tell you that after 6- 8 weeks you will have total use of your leg again.. its a bunch of bs. I was not able to bend down at all. I can now although its been 8 months since my surgery. To completely heal it and regain strength, it will take close to a year.

PA_gal_in_OK Guest

Heh yeah they said they are giving me crutches, but I would rather hop out than use them. (it's a man thing I guess) LOL
    No its not. I didnt use mine either. Although SOMEONE THAT POSTS ON THIS BOARD gave me hell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PA_gal_in_OK
    I will have to go get it tapped but Im just not ready to get it done yet.
    You will have to get it tapped again? Tapped meaning what? I'm a rookie when it comes to surgery.

Thanks for your insight PA_gal_in_OK . Thanks to everyone who posted.

PA_gal_in_OK Guest

They will need to insert a needle into my knee and suck out the fluid. That's all. Supposedly it doesnt hurt although people have warned me that if you get your knee tapped the chances for developing arthritis are greater. That is why I have been putting it off. At my age with all my aches and pains I dont need to add that to it yet.

Ok I gotcha. Thanks again.

PA_gal_in_OK Guest

Ok I gotcha. Thanks again.
    You're welcome and good luck .

AlphaRam Guest

I think I had arthroscopic brain surgery once.

rams#1 Guest

I had one about a year ago, It took me about a week or two for the swelling to go down then I was fine. Of course I play college football too, but thats another story.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    I've had five total left knee surgeries: 2 scopes, 1 corrective, 1 reconstructive, and 1 total joint replacement. I will take the scope any day. It really is not a big deal (easy for others to say as Bison aptly put). Just do the rehab following surgery to avoid losing any range of motion. The physical terrorists, I mean physical therapists, will probably tell you to use this acronym for off time recovery:

R.I.C.E.

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

This will cut down on pain following activity or therapy and will keep you from using too many of those addictive pain killers the Av spoke about. Good Luck!!
    Tell me a little more about the replacement. My wife - 58 and in good shape - is having a hard time. It's been 12 weeks since her total knee replacement, and she's extremely frustrated, but maybe we're being impatient. She's basically off the cane, but has built up a lot of scar tissue, which is preventing the knee from bending.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

SFCRamFan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam
    Tell me a little more about the replacement. My wife - 58 and in good shape - is having a hard time. It's been 12 weeks since her total knee replacement, and she's extremely frustrated, but maybe we're being impatient. She's basically off the cane, but has built up a lot of scar tissue, which is preventing the knee from bending.
    I have to admit, I had mine done at a younger age. However, it did show a remarkable improvement over what I had been experiencing before the surgery. I did quite a bit of physical therapy to avoid the scar tissue. Of course, I only did the therapy that my physical therapist told me to do. Some exercises that are done for other knee procedures are not good for knee replacement. She may have to get the knee scoped to remove some of the scar tissue. My aunt had both of her knees done at age 50. One knee did great and the other did not do well at all.

The only thing that I can suggest is continued stretching exercises; no matter how much that it hurts. In fact, a physical therapist can help in doing it the correct way. I remember having to lay there while the therapist literally bent my knee against my wishes beyond what I thought that it could or should go. He told me that it was to break loose any scar tissue. Maybe that is what your wife needs. Once that scar tissue sets in it could prevent full knee movement. I do not know if or how much therapy that she has done, but this might be a good way to get some range of motion back.

I hope that this helps...

PS Sorry for hijacking your thread with this RamsBruce...just trying to help a fellow Clan member...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast