Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Has the Box Office/Academy Award Gap Become Too Large?

I remember in the past having some minimal interest in the Oscars. Typically, I'd seen a number of the movies up for awards, and could actually express an opinion as to which movies and performances were the most deserving.

In recent years, however, it seems that the movies getting the most nominations have been fringe films that are far from the mainstream and which did poorly at that box office (Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King being a notable recent exception to this trend).

Look at all of these movies at the top of the nomination list this year (receiving several nominations or nominations in big categories):

Brokeback Mountain
    Capote
    The Constant Gardener
    Good Night and Good Luck
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Transamerica
    Junebug
    Mrs. Henderson Presents

What do all of these movies have in common? Well, I haven't seen any of them, and I have little or no interest in seeing any of them. I'd be surprised if there is anyone here who has seen more than three of these films.

I think that the Academy is trying too hard to feign loyalty to some vaguely conceived idea of artistic excellence, while ignoring the fact that movies are also supposed to be entertaining.

Well, at least John Stewart should be amusing.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-03-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Milan is offline Registered User

Re: Has the Box Office/Academy Award Gap Become Too Large?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I remember in the past having some minimal interest in the Oscars. Typically, I'd seen a number of the movies up for awards, and could actually express an opinion as to which movies and performances were the most deserving.

In recent years, however, it seems that the movies getting the most nominations have been fringe films that are far from the mainstream and which did poorly at that box office (Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King being a notable recent exception to this trend).

Look at all of these movies at the top of the nomination list this year (receiving several nominations or nominations in big categories):

Brokeback Mountain
    Capote
    The Constant Gardener
    Good Night and Good Luck
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Transamerica
    Junebug
    Mrs. Henderson Presents

What do all of these movies have in common? Well, I haven't seen any of them, and I have little or no interest in seeing any of them. I'd be surprised if there is anyone here who has seen more than three of these films.

I think that the Academy is trying too hard to feign loyalty to some vaguely conceived idea of artistic excellence, while ignoring the fact that movies are also supposed to be entertaining.

Well, at least John Stewart should be amusing.
    I never watch award shows anymore, I hardly watch new movies either.

I'd rather watch Scarface, Godfather, or Rocky than a story about forbidden love with two gay cowboys.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I have not seen any of them either. I guess I must not be in tune with those people who are giving the awards out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Milan
    I never watch award shows anymore, I hardly watch new movies either.

I'd rather watch Scarface, Godfather, or Rocky than a story about forbidden love with two gay cowboys.
    How funny is it that, a few years back, before anyone had ever heard of Brokeback Mountain, there was a South Park episode in which Cartman commented that all indepenent films were about gay cowboys eating pudding?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Brokeback Mountain
    Capote
    The Constant Gardener
    Good Night and Good Luck
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Transamerica
    Junebug
    Mrs. Henderson Presents

I haven't seen any that you listed, but I want to. I've wanted to see Good Night and Good Luck since the trailers started running. I'd be interested in seeing Brokeback just because of how good it's supposed to be (apparently Heath Ledger is amazing, AS AN ACTOR YOU SICKO). I'd also like to see Capote. Also, for those who haven't seen it, Crash is nominated for Best Picture, and it's one of the best movies I've ever watched. I would recommend buying it immediately even if you haven't watched it. Great great film.

And while I haven't seen any of them, it's not because they're rare and don't come here. I've had opportunities to go see Brokeback Mountain, Capote, The Constant Gardener, Good Night and Good Luck, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Transamerica, but just haven't been very free to go to the theater.

I dunno, didn't LOTR just clean up at the Oscars with their final chapter of the trilogy? I wouldn't say that blockbusters or more wide-appealing films don't get their recognition, but when I think of categories like Best Actor and Best Director, box office movies like the Pink Panther and Fun with Dick and Jane.

A movie like Walk The Line seems to mix both box office draw and Academy recognition.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

How funny is it that, a few years back, before anyone had ever heard of Brokeback Mountain, there was a South Park episode in which Cartman commented that all indepenent films were about gay cowboys eating pudding?
    LOL Wonder why I never saw that...

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Who's Cartman?
    Ain't seen none of them films. Ain't worth my money.

I got to ditto Milan, I'd prefer to watch the old films instead of the politically laced crap they come out with now.

I've rather play computer games than see most of those films. At least a MMORPG is my fantasy, instead of a Hollywood wack job's fantasy. And mine is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Who's Cartman?
    Ain't seen none of them films. Ain't worth my money.

I got to ditto Milan, I'd prefer to watch the old films instead of the politically laced crap they come out with now.

I've rather play computer games than see most of those films. At least a MMORPG is my fantasy, instead of a Hollywood wack job's fantasy. And mine is much cheaper.
    Eric Cartman -

Character from South Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I'd be interested in seeing Brokeback just because of how good it's supposed to be.
    I've heard this type of comment before, and it always leads me to what I like to call the "S*** Sandwich Principle."

You see, I have absolutely no interest in eating a S*** Sandwich. As a result, if one day, someone were to tell me about a place that sells the greatest S*** Sandwiches in the world...a place that, indeed, sells S*** Sandwiches the likes of which have never been tasted, I'm still not interested.

Same thing goes with movies about gay cowboys. Even if it is the greatest gay cowboy movie ever made, and that ever will be made, I'm still not interested. Frankly, I'm not even particularly interested in movies about straight cowboys (never saw Unforgiven, for example).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-03-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I've heard this type of comment before, and it always leads me to what I like to call the "S*** Sandwich Principle."

You see, I have absolutely no interest in eating a S*** Sandwich. As a result, if one day, someone were to tell me about a place that sells the greatest S*** Sandwiches in the world...a place that, indeed, sells S*** Sandwiches the likes of which have never been tasted, I'm still not interested.

Same thing goes with movies about gay cowboys. Even if it is the greatest gay cowboy movie ever made, and that ever will be made, I'm still not interested. Frankly, I'm not even particularly interested in movies about straight cowboys (never saw Unforgiven, for example).
    I guess I'm different then. I'm not interested in gay cowboys either, but I am interested in good movies, regardless of topic. Which is why I'll probably sit down and watch it on DVD at some point.

I think if you don't expand what you watch beyond your own interests, you're going to miss a lot of very high quality things that might not be on a topic you enjoy but is great nonetheless.

I'm not particularly interested in the Civil War or drug use, but if I wasn't willing to check out a movie on a topic I might not be initially interested in, then I wouldn't have watched such excellent movies like Cold Mountain or Requiem For A Dream.

Well, don't forget Nick, I've got 15 years of movie watching on you, so I've seen my share of movies that are outside of what I would call my core interests.

These days, I have so little time to see movies, I'm a lot more selective about what I see. Generally, when I go to see a movie, or rent one on DVD, I want something that will entertain me.

Last weekend, my wife and I took the kids to see The Pink Panther. Not exactly highbrow entertainment, but we all laughed and had a good time.

Guess my priorities have changed.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

You never see comedy's nominated for best picture. Maybe I'm prejudiced since I love them but c'mon, Airplane is just a classic and should have won something!!! LOL

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Nick,
    If you ever do get an interest in Civil war films:

Best Civil War film: Gettysburg.

The script and movie followed the real events closely. From the problems with 1st Maine, to the 106th shouting "Fredricksburg" at the retreating Rebels. I was impressed, very, very, impressed.

Tom Beringer and Martin Sheen were miscast as Longstreet and Lee. But Jeff Daniels was great, actually magnificent, as Chamberlin, and the actor who played John Bell Hood did it right.

I believe it was Richard Jordan's last film before he died, and he was most excellent as Armistead.

All great Civil War movies apparently must start with the letter "G."

Gettysburg
    Glory
    Gone With the Wind

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

All great Civil War movies apparently must start with the letter "G."

Gettysburg
    Glory
    Gone With the Wind
    Gonna git you sucka.

No wait that wasn't the Civil War.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast