RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I hate stupid, prejudiced people!

I have been discussing some things in another non-Rams related forum, and I just had to post this here. I cut out the non-stupid parts, but I just can't believe people are so hard headed!
    rdb

Posted: 28 Jan 2006 04:09 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They caught a dogfighter down here yesterday.

The man had a bunch of pit bulls (136), no food, and the dogs were in horrible condition. Most of them have to be killed because they have been trained to fight and kill, and will never make pets (a pit bull as a pet? That's asking for disaster!). Most also had severe injuries and were starving. Even several of the puppies had indications that he'd begun training them to kill- and probably will also have to be killed.

What was really bad was the guy had a cat mill. They'd put a small animal just outside of the pit bull's reach- to make them crazy and teach them to kill.

Polk county, and central Florida, has at least twice reported that these non- human primate look-alikes drive around and steal people's cats (and occasionally small dogs) to use to train their dogs. (We've lost two in suspicious circumstances). It's a common technique.

The article also says that there are a lot more people like this in Polk County.

So, another for the "good guys".

Last edited by rdb on 28 Jan 2006 04:58 pm, edited 1 time in total

Mirizor

Posted: 28 Jan 2006 04:16 pm Post subject: Here is a different story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone read about this?

Tunnel

RamfanSam

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 08:49 am Post subject:

I have a Pit Bull for a pet. She is much more gentle than most little yippy dogs. She has NEVER shown any sign of aggression towards another animal or human unless they threatened her family, by that I mean my kids, wife, and myself. She is calm, well trained, and a great companion. Discrimination (yes, it is nothing less) because of a breed is wrong. Our mailman has told me repeatedly that the most dangerous dogs he encounters are the "toy dogs", like Chihuahuas, MinPins, Boston Terriers, etc.
    The reason Pit Bulls have such a bad reputation is because of the above scenario. Put a good dog into a situation with no food, no love, in a dirty cage, treat them like crap, and ANY dog would be aggresive. Put a formerly abused dog into a loving home (like the Greyhound Rescue does, yes, racing dogs is abuse) and they can be fantastic pets.
    rdb, let me ask you something: Do you really believe Pit Bulls are that bad?
    Discrimination like this reminds me of how some people think we should deport all non-whites just to lower the crime rate.

Sorry for the rant, I apoligize if I offended you. I am just tired of having to defend my dog because some people form opinions based upon a limited number of well-publicised incidents and the stupidity of certain dog owners. Besides, I trust Maggie would keep my daughters safe if some sicko tried to abduct them, willingly giving her life to protect her family.

rdb

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 09:10 am Post subject:

Number of well publicized events?

We average around 2 children a week attacked by dogs here in Florida- although most don't get much publicity unless the child is REALLY torn up or killed. That's the ones that makes the local news. Talking with the dangerous dog enforcement officer, many more children and adults are attacked and injured by pit bulls than ever meets the public eye. She also said that as a rule, the owners thought they were "so gentle!!!"

about 70% of the attacking dogs are pit bulls. Another 20% are rottweilers. The others are usually wolf dogs, huskies, and the rare mongrel.

Our neighbors used to have a pit bull and a rottweiler. The pit bull had bitten at least 2 children that I knew of, their dogs tried to rip a dog we had in half, and killed several of our cats (including eating a litter of kittens!). They dumped garbage, threatened people, used our yard for a bathroom, and caused other problems. Yet their dogs were "so gentle!"- and even the times I went over there I admit that they were very gentle. The owners BRAGGED on how gentle their dogs were! Finally somebody in the neighborhood got tired of all the problems and poisoned both dogs.

Thank GOD we were 300 miles away, at the rez when it happened.

I also had to kill a "sweet, gentle pit bull" that a neighbor owned. It kept coming in our yard, wrecking stuff, and killed Sue's pet rooster and tried to kill our cats. After warning the neighbor, when the pit bull tore a hole in our chicken coop- and then turned around and tried to kill one of our cats- I shot it.

I've been barked at by little dogs, and growled at, and even lunged at, but never bitten by any of them.

A rottweiler? YES. Thankfully, no real injury except pinched skin.

That pit bull I shot used to chase Sue's car down the road and lunge at the driver's window- Sue was scared of it! So were most of our other neighbors!

Yours might be the exception- but it may not be- away from you.

There's a reason that dogfighters pick pit bulls! And what's worse, they often use other peoples "little loved ones" for encouraging them to kill!!!

You should be GLAD that the police caught the dogfighter!

RamfanSam

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 02:07 pm Post subject:

EVERY dog must be restrained in some way. I do not like chained-up dogs, that is abuse. The 'invisible fences' are a joke....they do NOT work. A four-foot chain link fence? Useless.
    My dogs (I just adopted another older dog today, a Lab-Golden Retriever mix) stay in the house unless I am walking them, ON A LEASH. When I have the fence installed in the back yard, it will be at least eight feet tall, and solid, a privacy fence. There will be a concrete footer to prevent 'digging out'. By making sure my dogs are well-fed, well loved, properly restrained, up-to-date on shots and other medical care, I am being a responsible pet owner. It is almost like being a parent without the fear of tatoos or piercings...

Seriously, it sounds like the dogs you described above recieve NONE of the above care. A dog, cat, bird, horse, or any other animal, no matter how well domesticated, is still a wild animal inside. Pet owners must realize this, and be responsible enough to properly deal with this. If a person shows lack of responsibility for a pet, they should be prosecuted. If a person likes 'fighting' dogs, take the dogs away, destroy them if necessary, and put an infantry uniform on the owner(s) and ship them to Fallujah!

I know about dog bites. I have had my share. At the hospital I work at, most dog bites are from smaller breeds, and because either the dog was running loose or a parent wasn't watching thier kid and they approached the dog.

Perhaps you should find a no-kill shelter in your area, volunteer some time to help out there, and learn about the dogs. I think you will find that most dogs can be loving pets for responsible people. Maybe you can sponsor a city ordinance that requires a potential owner be checked out by the ASPCA or Humane Society before any pet adoption or purchase takes place. Do something to legally shut down puppy mills. Call your state representative and ask them to sponsor a bill requiring minimum 20 year no-parole sentences for dog fights. Don't just blame the dogs...blame the irresponsible, stupid owners! The dogs are just acting the way they were taught.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: I hate stupid, prejudiced people!

"non- human primate look-alikes"

I figured that this would have been the most offensive statement...guess not...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: I hate stupid, prejudiced people!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    "non- human primate look-alikes"

I figured that this would have been the most offensive statement...guess not...
    No, I understood what she meant. After all, I live just an hour north of Arkansas.