sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I need your guys advice badly! especially Av's

Short version, I need to know if I should take this guy to court over my car.

Ok I took my car to a local repair shop I knew the guy was a christian man so I assumed he was honest. I took it there in october with a oil leak. He fixed a few things on it and said he fixed the leak and charged me close to 300 bucks. I told him when he got it to go through it to make sure nothing is gonna mess up because I have a 2 year old we can't be stranded. Well I got it back like a week after he told me to bring it in. He said he fixed everything and charged me the 300 I get it back and its still leaking oil. I take it to him and he has it a few days and says the engine would be about 800 to fix. Or we could put a new one in for about 1500 I believe was the original quote. I bought the car from my ex girlfriends dad and he said he had just put a engine in it that had about 60k miles on it. I know he did but if it was a good engine Idk. So I decided to replace the engine and trans and he said it would be about 2200 including the parts and labor. I get it back about a month later and it shuts down on me all the time and the heater didnt work in dead of winter which isnt a happy time in Illinois. And the radiator "somehow" got busted the radiator guy said it could of been from the guy swappin the engie but it could just be bad luck so I had to put a 200 dollar radiator in it. So I take it back in this is December now and he fixes a few different things and says it's runnin fine and the heater was workin. Well I took it to a Rams game which is about 2 hrs away and I get about a hour away from home and the car breaks down and the heater didnt work the whole time. I missed half the game and actually we lost my cousins ticket fumbling around tryin to get the car to move. I had to have the car towed to his shop luckily I have a tow package but still ended up costing 70 bucks. He said he check the alternator and it was fine and it broke down because the belts lost contact so he tightened them up and said it was runnin fine and finally fixed the heater enough to where i didnt freeze. I ended up driving it for a few months while it still kept dying on me. It ended up turning on the check engine light in that two months. Here about a month ago im driving with my daughter and the battey/alternator light pops on and last time that happened on the way the Rams game the car stalled out. So I barely make it in to the shop and he tells me it's the alternator and it needs replaced. Im like didn't you just tell me in December that you checked it and it was fine. He was like well they go out overnight almost. So i replaced it cost me about 45 bucks for the part and he did the labor for free he also put some seafoam to help with the gas smell ive been having with it and charged me 20 for that. I get it back and the check engine light is still on, still smells of gas and dies randomly EVEN while driving down the road so its dangerous. He said I need a new idle air control valve because mine was weak so I ordered that so hopefully that fixes the dieing but still. I went out there today and I can hear knocking coming from the transmission. So should I take it back to this guy or take it to another guy? I was wondering if I should take the mechanic to court because he is also the business owner. He is a christian so I don't really want to go in there screaming at him (even though I REALLY would like to having gone through all this especially missing the first half of a rams game). So should I take him to court? He seems like a nice fellow but he NEVER returns my calls when he says he is going to and always keeps my car forever. I can't be without a car anymore. Sorry this is so long guys but I really need the advice. Ive been without my car for months now pretty much and it cant continue much longer. Thanks for any help.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: I need your guys advice badly! especially Av's

I can't give you specific legal advice, but, as a general statement you may have a basis to take him to small claims court. The key will be to establish that he either (1) misrepresented facts to you (fraud), or (2) failed to meet his duty to exercise due care to peform the repairs and return your car in safe working condition (negligence).

Other approaches might be to go to your local Better Business Bureau or contact a local media watchdog (many local news stations and newspapers have people who investigate and attempt to resolve these types of consumer issues).

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I can't give you specific legal advice, but, as a general statement you may have a basis to take him to small claims court. The key will be to establish that he either (1) misrepresented facts to you (fraud), or (2) failed to meet his duty to exercise due care to peform the repairs and return your car in safe working condition (negligence).

Other approaches might be to go to your local Better Business Bureau or contact a local media watchdog (many local news stations and newspapers have people who investigate and attempt to resolve these types of consumer issues).

Good luck.
    Thanks for the help much appreciated.

AlphaRam Guest

Finding ways to exert public scrutiny works if you can apply the pressure properly. I recently convinced Samsung to repair my 18 month old television that had a 1 year warranty. Ultimately, the other party has to be persuaded that dealing with you in the immediate future is more of a hassle than taking care of you.

That being said, why the hell did you keep going back to the same guy and continue to pay him?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Finding ways to exert public scrutiny works if you can apply the pressure properly. I recently convinced Samsung to repair my 18 month old television that had a 1 year warranty. Ultimately, the other party has to be persuaded that dealing with you in the immediate future is more of a hassle than taking care of you.

That being said, why the hell did you keep going back to the same guy and continue to pay him?
    I've only paid him like 30 bucks since I put the new engine in so I kept takin it back and he did the work for free. I just am frustrated its not getting fixed and being without a car for weeks at a time sucks when u have a 2 year old.

Im gonna take it in on monday to him and tell him this is his last chance to deliver a well running vehicle.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Not being funny, but why not just buy another car? You seem to be spending a lot of money trying to get this one fixed...

AlphaRam Guest

Would you go back if he were a doctor? I do not think the guy can fix your car. It sounds like he is parts swapping and hoping to get lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I've only paid him like 30 bucks since I put the new engine in so I kept takin it back and he did the work for free. I just am frustrated its not getting fixed and being without a car for weeks at a time sucks when u have a 2 year old.

Im gonna take it in on monday to him and tell him this is his last chance to deliver a well running vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    Not being funny, but why not just buy another car? You seem to be spending a lot of money trying to get this one fixed...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Would you go back if he were a doctor? I do not think the guy can fix your car. It sounds like he is parts swapping and hoping to get lucky...
    I didn't buy another car because now I have no money to because I spent it on this car. I didn't buy a new one t begin with because I figured a newer engine would be better than someones used car I could be buying someone elses problem. I kept this car cause my ex loved it but we have since broken up. And I have had about 15 cars in about 6 years so I wanted to keep a car for awhile. I like this car is why I wanted to put a new engine in it so I could get it running good.

He is a friend of my dad's ( he does have his own shop so its not a backyard mechanic) so thats why I have given him a chance so far. But now my dad is even saying if he doesnt fix it this time I should take him to court. You may be right but if he cant fix my car on this final try then I have a definte court case. I don't want to take him to court if I don't have to.