RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm BACK! - maybe....

In case you have been trapped in a cave, you probably know that the middle of the country has been hit with a nasty ice storm. We lost electricity and phone service Friday night, as did 75,000 other homes here.
    The hospital also lost power and phones on Friday, but we had generators and kept things going. The CEO said anyone needing a place to stay was welcome to spend the night, and a lot of people did. Power for the hospital was restored on Monday, phones on Tuesday. Our power was restored at home on Tuesday, and sometime overnight the phone service came back.

We stayed home and dealt with it until Monday night when the temperature was suppossed to drop to 6 degrees. That night Tawn and Sami went to a hotel that had heat, and I stayed home and slept next to a couple of portable heaters - our dogs! (Hey, it works!)

Of course, there has been good and bad shown during this time. The good thing has been seeing people who had heat open their homes, others giving away food, blankets, portable heaters, etc., to total strangers. The bad has been our utility company showing favortism to more financially prominent areas of town, one linesman killed by feedback from a generator improperly hooked up, a dozen or so looting instances, a lack of planning for the elderly and infirm who needed assistance and could not get any, and the utility company taking a holiday on Monday while thousands still had no power!

The town Hubison and SFC live in is about 50% without power, and probably will be a few days longer.

If anyone wants some free firewood, I have about 20 trees that self-destructed during the storm. I'll put some pictures up later today or tomorrow so those of you in warmer climates can see what we deal with during the winter.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I'm BACK! - maybe....

My nephew is a lineman that was sent out there last Sunday. He called to let me know he was heading to Missouri, so I asked where are you now at the airport? He said no we are driving out to the damaged areas.:x

Think the repair service could be acclerarted abit. Driving from Massachusetts to an area in dire need of power?:x :x :x

Oh yeah, happy to hear you and yours survived it.
    Last edited by laram0; -01-17-2007 at 09:51 AM.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Here are some pics for y'all:

I can tell y'all that while the power transformers were blowing up like crazy, it sounded bombs going off. We heard about a dozen explosions in a very short amount of time. The last series of explosions right as our power was going out at 4:00 in the morning literally shook the house, and I saw nothing but flashes of red and orange, as if being surrounded by fire. It was like being trapped in a war movie.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    Here are some pics for y'all:

I can tell y'all that while the power transformers were blowing up like crazy, it sounded bombs going off. We heard about a dozen explosions in a very short amount of time. The last series of explosions right as our power was going out at 4:00 in the morning literally shook the house, and I saw nothing but flashes of red and orange, as if being surrounded by fire. It was like being trapped in a war movie.
    A real winter wonderland.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Sam,

Glad to know that you, Mom, & Sami are OK. This is one heck of a mess. I am going to rethink the idea of planting more trees in my yard. Thank goodness we have a gas water heater and a wood burning fireplace. The electricity went out Friday night at 930pm and got it back Monday at 430pm. Sixty seven hours if one heck of a long time without internet or TV. Geez, we are spoiled with all of our modern conveniences. I did not think that it was so bad considering what we have. However, my wife is another story...I felt bad for others that had no heat and literally had a bunking party over here for a few nights with my son's friends all sleeping in front of the fireplace.

Pictures barely do justice to what has really happened around here. Once again, we have shown that the people are better prepared to deal with a crisis than the government.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...