adarian_too is offline Registered User

I'm still puzzled how 6 Snipers were felled simultaneously.

This report of 6 snipers being ambushed in Iraq has me perplexed. Why were six grouped together? And where were their spotters? How could any sniper be within reach of any bushman? If any story needs explored, it's this one. That can't be the current state of US Sniper training?!?

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: I'm still puzzled how 6 Snipers were felled simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    This report of 6 snipers being ambushed in Iraq has me perplexed. Why were six grouped together? And where were their spotters? How could any sniper be within reach of any bushman? If any story needs explored, it's this one. That can't be the current state of US Sniper training?!?
    Sounds a little fishy to me too.I'd bet some reporters had something to do with knowledge of their position.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

That is not good news. They must be getting smarter or we made a mistake. It is perplexing.

Unfortunately, the war has been getting more personal for me and I am started to watch the details again. My little brother shipped off this week to head back over. I heard from him via email from Fort Bliss in Texas a few days ago, but now he is back in the unknown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Ub, We Will Keep Good Thoughts For Your Brother And Family.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    Ub, We Will Keep Good Thoughts For Your Brother And Family.
    Send some good thoughts and prayers for all the soldiers out there.

There are a lot more troops in real combat now than when my brother was there last. My brother never saw any action himself, and he really liked being there. It was a big adrenaline rush and the camaraderie among the soldiers is unlike anything else that he has ever experienced. He is a mechanic and he followed the apaches in action last time. This time he should be on a base. He is going over there as a contractor. He is not enlisted anymore. I think he should be fairly safe in comparison to the others on the front line.

My trainer at the gym is a marine and he has been on a few tours up on front line. He is sweet and we talk non stop about football, mustangs and working out, but I can see that the time over there has taking its toll. He gave up a football scholarship to join the marines. He says it is very hard to switch the "front line" mentality on and off again.

I am worried about our guys over there and the effect it is having upon them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Things not going well in Iraq? I'm saddened to say that I'm not surprised. I just hope we can get our men and women back as soon as possible, given that country's situation, so that we can avoid as much bloodshed as possible.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Things not going well in Iraq? I'm saddened to say that I'm not surprised. I just hope we can get our men and women back as soon as possible, given that country's situation, so that we can avoid as much bloodshed as possible.
    My sentiments exactly. Utter, my prayers are sent sincerely to your brother and all of our brave soldiers fighting for what we are so fortunate to have and unfortunately, sometimes take for granted. Godspeed to all of them. We want you home!

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

What this illustrates is how big a secutity risk it is having crooked Iraqis in the ranks of their National Guard while we try to work along side them. One of these @#$hole Abdullahs was in on the OPs brief and tipped off their insurgent buddies.

Sniper trainining is still one of the top and most difficult courses to pass. Snipers just don't get ambushed like that in those kind of numbers unless someone knows something. God bless my Marine bretheren and god rest those souls that have been lost.

I can't delve into politics or share my views on the pros or cons of things. Nor can I voice displeasure over our misuse of personnel or how we fight with one hand tied behind our backs, so I won't.

I think, truly though, that things will begin winding down over there within the next 6-8 months. We will always have some small to medium sized force there, but it will diminish in numbers soon.

Thanks to all for your support of our troops. God Bless them and the ClanRam Family.

P.S. God speed to your brother Utter, as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Good to hear from you, Sarge. Honestly, I was starting to get worried about your whereabouts.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I find myself more and more being unable to escape the conclusion that, while taking Saddam Hussein out of power may have been worth risking American lives, the "rebuilding" of Iraq is not. I simply have no faith that the population there is capable of embracing the ideals of democracy, human rights, and cooperative international relations that Bush seems to think (or wants us to believe) they are adopting.

Iraq is not a country like Japan or Germany which is ready to "fall in line" with the civilized world for the sake of economic prosperity. It is a country where the few possessing the power and control over a lucrative natural resource will always use that power to suppress and bully its citizens, and to thumb its nose at the rest of the world.

Maybe that makes me a cynic, but I really don't think I'm wrong on this one.

Thanks Hubison. Actually, I have been training quite a bit this summer for possible future deployments. Nothing concrete or in writing yet, but it may happen. I have been deploying and training people for over three years now without having gone myself. That leaves me on the "yet to deploy and available" list. I won't let it worry me though. It's what I signed on for long ago and will do what is asked of me. I just hope that I can make it through the season before anything happens. I worry more about my family when I am gone. I seldom worry about what-ifs with my work because you never know when your ticket gets punched upstairs or how you will depart for the other side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    One of these @#$hole Abdullahs was in on the OPs brief and tipped off their insurgent buddies.

... Snipers just don't get ambushed like that in those kind of numbers unless someone knows something.
    There is little doubt that you're right. But I'm still having a hard time reconciling how snipers were within reach of anyone. That just isn't how they should have been deployed.

2 UK snipers established confirmed kills at the start of this campaign of over 1,500 meters. One doesn't carry a Barret to patrol. Having 6 snipers together is a clusterfuk that shouldn't even happen in debriefing.

The closest those boys should have come to seeing anyone should have been in the Greenzone. This whole exercise is getting more stupid all the time.

There is little doubt that you're right. But I'm still having a hard time reconciling how snipers were within reach of anyone. That just isn't how they should have been deployed.
    I agree. That is one of the things that I was referring to when I commented on the misuse of our personnel. Those guys are supposed to be out of sight and out of mind. That is what makes them effective and deadly.

Iraq is not a country like Japan or Germany which is ready to "fall in line" with the civilized world for the sake of economic prosperity.
    Agreed. Their culture and history does not allow them to even have an idea of what freedom is all about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marshall1 is offline Registered User

I was in the infantry USANG, and let me tell you sniper's scared the crap out of me. I respect what they do, it is up close and personal (from 1,000 meters) they see the faces of peple that they target and that take's some real guts. Now as far as these guys getting ambushed, I can see the inside working of some people, Syrians, Iraqi's even journalists. I think inbedded reports are a good thing for regular soldiers, not Special Forces, Delta, Seals, and Snipers. Unfortunate situation.:clanram:
    "Championship's are won with defense" :angryram: