throwback week

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Internship at the Dome?

I'm 21 and just finished a 2 year radio broadcasting / communications program. I worked for a college radio station as the Sports Director commentating local football, baseball and basketball. I've worked with several different kinds of audio editing software and various other audio equipment.

Problem is, the job placement for the program is almost non-existant. Right now I am a board op for a local AM station in Alton Illinois.

So now I'm looking for a way to break into football commentary or at least some kind of related field. It's hard to do if you dont have a background in the sport. I was injured early in highschool and never really had a chance to compete (something i will regret for a long time).

Anyway, while I am looking for some kind of contact in the Rams organization that could help me get my foot in the door i figured i should ask around for any type of advice.

Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Internship at the Dome?

Start small. Check out the local High Schools. You will need to familiarize yourself with all the little parts of the game or you will sound like Joe Buck...

Good luck.
    This space for rent...

Milan Guest

You can't make it right into the NFL for broadcasting, as thoey said, start at high school and try making your way up the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    Start small. Check out the local High Schools. You will need to familiarize yourself with all the little parts of the game or you will sound like Joe Buck...

Good luck.
    I've been commentating HS football for 3 years now.

I'm not looking to get into a booth and put on a headset the first day, more like becoming a grip or something. Just being around a professional crew like that will give me great experience.

AlphaRam Guest

The Rams seem to use interns from St Louis U. I spoke with one intern in 2002 and he was majoring in International Business. You can try calling the Rams offices at (314) 516-8749 to ask about the possibility of an internship.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    The Rams seem to use interns from St Louis U. I spoke with one intern in 2002 and he was majoring in International Business. You can try calling the Rams offices at (314) 516-8749 to ask about the possibility of an internship.
    Thanks I really really appreciate it.

thoey is offline Registered User

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out. Always be nice to have an *insider*...
    This space for rent...