Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: J.R.R Tolkien or C.S Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I understood his point (not that there was much of a point there), I would just rather he use his own words in addition to those of others.

Anyone can look up an obscure quote and parrot it. Those who can put the quotes of others into a new, yet relevant, context are truly interesting.

-- Armen Dacity
    Mr. Dacity always did have a way with words.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Hey adarian, maybe you could put down your Big Book of Obscure Quotes and actually tell us what YOU think.
    What I will tell you, is that the difference between me and you is that I have no problem admitting that sometimes someone else's ideas are better than mine.

If that is too obscure for you, go back to writing legal briefs ... there is no plagarism in it. But of course you knew that ... just like everything else ...
    Last edited by adarian_too; -03-20-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Interesting...................

A wise man once said:-

Whenever I am in the company of others
    May I regard myself as inferior to all
    And from the depths of my heart
    Cherish others as supreme

To get back on point for a moment, I hold Tolkien in higher regard as he's the only author who, to my knowledge created a living world.

He wove cosmology, mythology, religion, heroic saga, cultural identity and new language systems into something that will forever stand above what comes after. He created a genre and what comes after, whilst occasionally entertaining, is pale reflection indeed.

I always found Lewis more stilted with the allusions to God in the form of Aslan slightly overdone.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    What I will tell you, is that the difference between me and you is that I have no problem admitting that sometimes someone else's ideas are better than mine.

If that is too obscure for you, go back to writing legal briefs ... there is no plagarism in it. But of course you knew that ... just like everything else ...
    I knew that was how you would respond.:tongue:

coy bacon Guest

Av,
    There is another diff. betw you and Adarian.

I, (and you), actually want to hear what Adarian thinks.

"Talking and eloquence are not the same thing: to speak, and to speak well, are two things. A fool may talk, but a wise man speaks." Ben Johnson

coy bacon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    Interesting...................

A wise man once said:-

Whenever I am in the company of others
    May I regard myself as inferior to all
    And from the depths of my heart
    Cherish others as supreme

To get back on point for a moment, I hold Tolkien in higher regard as he's the only author who, to my knowledge created a living world.

He wove cosmology, mythology, religion, heroic saga, cultural identity and new language systems into something that will forever stand above what comes after. He created a genre and what comes after, whilst occasionally entertaining, is pale reflection indeed.

I always found Lewis more stilted with the allusions to God in the form of Aslan slightly overdone.

I agree with you Fat. Lewis tried to weave the story of Christianity in mythical fashion. It was not a comfortable fit. I haven't read all of Tolkien's work but he did create a world with depth.

But I think both writers had different goals in mind. Both have succeeded. Read Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" for a similar vein. He also wrote a 3 part Sci Fi series, I think called the Space Trilogy that you may like.

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Av,
    There is another diff. betw you and Adarian.

I, (and you), actually want to hear what Adarian thinks.
    That may be the most preposterous thing you've ever posted, Coy.

Quite frankly, I would be terrified to hear what Adarian is actually thinking. He, on the other hand, seems to hang on every word I post. Let's not forget that, when I posted a Book of SpiralHorns quiz a while back, it was our own Adarian (who claims to not care what I post) who quickly answered every question correctly.

As for the differences between me and Adarian... they are far too numerous to list.

As far as the merit of indiscriminately quoting sources, I offer... well... a quote...

Wanda: "You ape!"

Otto: "Ape? Ape? Apes don't read philosphy!"

Wanda: "Yes, they do read philosophy. They just don't understand it!"

-- From A Fish Called Wanda

coy bacon Guest

Ladies and gentlemen, submitted for your viewing pleasure tonight, we take you to the door of the mind of a man on the pathway to delusion.

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

Hey adarian, maybe you could put down your Big Book of Obscure Quotes and actually tell us what YOU think.
    Quite frankly, I would be terrified to hear what Adarian is actually thinking.

Your words Av, not mine.

And you yourself illustrate clearly and eloquently, with no doubt, Adarian's superiority. He read the BoSH for pleasure and was able to remember key facts. You however, couldn't even remember what you posted a day or two earlier!

Hello?
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me.
    Is there anyone at home?
    Come on, now,
    I hear you're feeling down.
    Well I can ease your pain
    Get you on your feet again.
    Relax.

With a mind such as yours, I understand why you're terrified of what Adarian thinks.

Your posts are cute, Coy. I wonder... do they come in adult sizes?

You seem to have an inability to truly read and comprehend my posts. When I asked adarian to post what he thinks, I did so not because I wished to read his thoughts, but rather because I knew he wouldn't post them, thereby proving my point.

Anyway, we have really derailed this nice thread, so I will give us each a demerit.

Please don't trouble to dish out demerits for the sake of derailment. As the nominal proprietor of this thread in my role of poster I happen to think it's taken an interesting turn.

Making point through quotation, it could be argued, is as legitimate as posting straight opinion. There is a value to using acknowledged quotation to outline a point, as presumably, the quotation is saying something the quoter would like us to consider, otherwise they wouldn't have used it in the first place.

Additionally, the use of the quotation gives us further food for thought, further lines of inquiry, and in a literary post like this the belief that we've actually taken the trouble to consider the subject in a larger context.

Focus not on the quotation in itself but more on the point that is trying to be made by the use of the quotation.

I appreciate that this is a football board and that the proprietor would like us to confine our debate to all things football, but in the absence of considered debate on Politics, Religion and conspiracy I find the odd quotation an interesting departure.

I find things that I haven't read before of interest and appreciate people taking the time to post them. Coy and I have continued our conversation on Islam via PM and I've learned a lot because of it.

Post on adarian, as it would be a poor place indeed if we were all to approach these forums and their subject matter in the same way.

Just as a side note, I find it interesting that the Lounge seems to attract more then it's fair share of Clairvoyants. I also find it interesting that Literature displays the same potential for heated debate as previously barred areas of endeavour.

Its your thread, FP, take it where you want to!

As for my comment on quotes, it is much like my comment on the "healthy eating" thread.

All things in moderation.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

CONTENT DELETED - Feel free to express your displeasure, but do so without childish personal insults. Thank you.

You're the one that alluded to my post despite it not being addressed to you and you knowing full well that we haven't seen eye to eye on anything in years. If you knew I wasn't going to respond to your liking why bother calling me out? To teach those newcomers about distrusting "ideas" from The Hollow? Really, who cares? To learn me manners? Again, who cares?

It was Mr. FatPangsOfConscience's thread. I commented as I saw fit and lo-and-behold without your blessing. If he felt slighted, miffed, and/or obfuscated, it is his call and we'd interact as we'd see appropriate at that point.

But no. You have to insinuate yourself again. Insulting both me and SirFrancisCoyBacon for good measure. "Indiscriminately quoting sources"? "Not that there was much of a point there"? "Adult sizes"?

Proving your point? What you did prove once again, and on this we do agree, the differences are numerous. And I am content with that.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-21-2006 at 09:09 PM.

No need to get so upset, adarian. Its only Lounge talk, after all.

You don't like me - fine.

I don't really care about you - also fine.

Let's leave it at that, shall we.

Now, how about comparing the works of Lewis and Tolkien to J.K. Rowling?

Nah! :down:

About my cognomen, I don't have much time for conscience as it implies guilt and I have absolutely no time for that. A rather tedious Christian concept.

I prefer compassion on the whole but will accept that which I am given in the spirit it was bestowed.

Bit upset about being denied a Knighthood too,although Coy will be pleased.

As far as taking the thread 'here' not quite sure I'm responsible for that, but I did like the view.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast