Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

For Jesse Jackson and anyone else that needs to check out a dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Webster's
    ref·u·gee
    Pronunciation: "re-fyu-'jE
    Function: noun
    1) an individual seeking refuge or asylum
    2) an exile who flees for safety
    Will someone please help me understand this? His mispronunciation of the 2nd syllable aside, why is this term so disturbing to Jesse Jackson? This individual and his hate for this word is getting a lot of air time down here in Bama, and I just don't understand what is so wrong with the word.

These poor people that lost all their possessions and homes are indeed "seeking refuge" and did certainly "flee for their safety". So why is he spending so much time with the usage of a word?

"I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: For Jesse Jackson and anyone else that needs to check out a dictionary

I've seen this discussion on another board, and I think the general problem people have is the implication, unintentional that it may be, that refugees are some how not Americans or American citizens. When you hear the word refugee, there's probably a certain stigma or picture you have associated with it. But personally, I don't see the fuss. By definition, the word fits.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

I know this is a sports forum, but since your post is here, I thought that I would respond to it.

I was out in Alabama during the big storm to assist my mother in-law with preventive measures on her house and property just in case she had to do a hasty retreat.

I believe parts of the reason that you don't understand the reason why Jesse Jackson makes such a fuss is lost in your frame of reference. I'm not trying to inject any hate into this post at all; so, please don't misinterpret my point. I believe that you don't understand because you're used to the denotation of the word while the connotation of the word is very painful. The image represented shows a plight of people striving to be accepted as American citizens once again characterized to the images of denizens of a 3rd world country....who have no inherent rights or privileges afforded to those legally of this country. Language & words have been used in this country to separate, segregate, denigrate, and incarcerate the disenfranchised for years. Notice that I didn't attach any color into my words. It's not about color, but it's about class and caste.

We generally attach the term refugee to those who are in another country, not tax-paying citizens of the USA, looking for assistance to save them from the horrors befallen them, and they are not our neighbors, relatives, schoolmates, or comrade in arms. The connotation of refugee divorces us mentally from any attachment or bond, but makes us put on our clinical mindsets.

I don't understand people at times; I let it go. It is not wrong to give dignity to others who have fallen down in life. One of my textbooks in school was 'Li'l Black Sambo.' That was accepted as proper material for educating our youths. Time has changed the minds of leaders & administrators to right those wrongs. I really like the (Dr. Doolittle) book with the funny animal (Push-me-Pull-you). I have adopted that philosophy of life.

We sometimes fall down and need a hand to get on our feet. I tend to help anyone regardless of color (etc) when I can; that's the way I was raised. So, if a person or people interpret that they are being characterized in an inappropriate/offensive manner, it is their right to say so. It is in the frame of reference of the alleged victim...not the alleged abuser to define. Of course, discussions can clear up matters of fact and assumptions later.

I'll ding Jesse Jackson for things he does wrong, but this time I believe he's correct.

JMHO

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This is all about political posturing, plain and simple. Instead of putting the focus of his energy on helping people cope, Jesse Jackson chooses to incite anger and resentment during an emotionally charged event to further an agenda. Very sad.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    This is all about political posturing, plain and simple. Instead of putting the focus of his energy on helping people cope, Jesse Jackson chooses to incite anger and resentment during an emotionally charged event to further an agenda. Very sad.
    Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner!!! Please. don't ever bring that guys name up ever again on this board. It should be blanked out with an * like the whiners...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...