Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: The latest "in" expression that I hate

I also really hate all of the Jim Romeisms ("My take is..."; "I'm out!", etc.).

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I also really hate all of the Jim Romeisms ("My take is..."; "I'm out!", etc.).
    Yeah, and "pimp in the box"

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I hate the Chuck Norris jokes. You guys heard em' yet?
    RamsFan16

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

you better hope Chuck didn't hear you say that about him RF16, lol

Its funny how things can progress from "hip" or "cool" to "lame."

Even songs. I often note this by describing the "Losing My Religion Example."

For those who don't remember, R.E.M. got its start as an alternative/college radio band (the members actually met in Athens, GA, where UGA is located).

In the 80s, they maintained a presence on alternative and college stations, with minor hits like "Can't Get There From Here," "Radio Free Europe," "South Central Rain," "Don't Go Back to Rockville" and "Fall on Me."

By the early 90s, the band had achieved some moderate commercial success. Their previous album, Document, got some radio play on more mainstream stations with songs like "Its the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)" and "The One I Love."

Then came "Losing My Religion." It quickly moved from alternative stations and became a top 40 hit, marking the band's "arrival" as a popular band.

But, unfortunately, it doesn't end there.

After a while, "Losing My Religion" could be heard not only on rock and top 40 stations, but on "adult contemporary" stations as well. People in their 40s and 50s could be heard humming the tune.

And, finally, one day at a shopping center, my world turned upside-down...

The dreaded "musak" was playing in the background. My ears tried to drown out the instrumental versions of old James Taylor and Carol King songs when I heard it...

NO!!! It can't be!!!!! But, alas... it was... "Losing My Religion"

R.E.M. had been reduced to musak.

At that moment, though I would never condone suicide, I gained at least a bit of understanding as to why Kurt Cobain ultimately blew his brains out.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Even though he "dissed" (lol) Jim Everett, I do like Rome. As long as the "Romeisms" stay on the show I have no problem with that.

The apocolypse for rap came recently in the form of a commercial. 3 white men in ties are in a car, listening to one of XM Radio's rap channels, when one of them gets a call from their boss. When the "in" thing becomes "in" for everyone, that's when "in" becomes "out".

Speaking of REM, I saw them in 1984 in Charlottesville, VA at a very small bar close to the UVA campus. Was a really cool show, and I told a bunch of folks to watch out for these guys...they are that good.

Also, I have the distinction of seeing U2.....OPEN....for the J Geils Bank in 1982 in Memphis, TN and they got booed off the stage. I was a U2 fan then also, BOY had just came out.

Two things Tx and I will never agree on - Bernie and Jim Rome. LOL

I think J.Geils now works as Bono's sunglasses caddy, by the way.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

and I like it that way to Av. When people agree to disagree but leave it at that and not have any animosity either way is what makes debate fun and enjoyable. I hate it when someone tries to shove their view of things down my throat and make me agree with them when I completely disagree with just about everything they say.

Another "in" thing that I don't see....talking to sports talk radio personalities like you've known them for years. If you call a radio station to talk sports, don't call them buddy or pal or friend unless you've had communication with them before. I revert back to Rome and there is one thing I don't like on that show...."thanks for the vine". I know it's called the "Jungle" but "thanks for the vine" is just a bit much for me.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16

Chuck Norris jokes are awesome...

Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer...to bad he's never cried.(I have actually had my name inserted for Chuck Norris' in this one)

(I don't like this one for religous reasons but it's just a joke)
    Who's better Chuck Norris or God?trick question, Chuck Norris is god.

When Chuck Norris does push-ups Chuck Norris pushes the earth.

Chuck Norris doesn't read he stares books down until the book gives him the information he wants.

Since 1940 the year Chuck Norris was born the number of roundhouse kick deaths has increased by 13,000 percent.

Filming on location for Walker: Texas Ranger, Chuck Norris brought a stillborn baby lamb back to life by giving it a prolonged beard rub. Shortly after the farm animal sprang back to life and a crowd had gathered, Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked the animal, breaking its neck, to remind the crew once more that Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

To prove it isn't that big of a deal to beat cancer. Chuck Norris smoked 15 cartons of cigarettes a day for 2 years and aquired 7 different kinds of cancer only to rid them from his body by flexing for 30 minutes. Beat that, Lance Armstrong.

There are no disabled people. Only people who have met Chuck Norris.

There is no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard. There is only another fist.

It was once believed that Chuck Norris actually lost a fight to a pirate, but that is a lie, created by Chuck Norris himself to lure more pirates to him. Pirates never were very smart.

Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.

If you want a list of Chuck Norris' enemies, just check the extinct species list.

Chuck Norris once shot an enemy plane down with his finger, by yelling, "Bang!"

Chuck Norris owns the greatest poker face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 world series of poker despite him holding just a joker, a 2 of clubs, a 7 of spades, and a green number 4 from Uno and a monopoly 'get out of jail free' card.

Chuck Norris does not use spell check. If he happens to misspell a word, Oxford will simply change the actual spelling of it.

Before science was invented it was once believed that autumn occurred when Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked every tree in existence.

In the original pilot for Star Trek Next Generation, Chuck Norris can be seen powering the USS Enterprise warp drive with his roundhouse kicks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12