HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Let me tell you how much I despise thieves.

The church I go to is in the process of planting a new congregation. For those not familiar with "planting", it means a large growing church will reach a certain number and then take part of their membership and start a new congregation in a near-by town. That's what we're doing, and my family has volunteered to be a part of the new congregation.

So anyway, back to the story. We (the new church) are in the process of having our building built. This week the contractor had all the lumber and sheetrock delivered to the site. As you know, construction materials are as good as gold these days, so there is a concern that some of the materials will be stolen during the night. In fact, there is another commercial construction site a mile down the road that got broken into recently. So, Friday night, my wife and I go out to dinner and on the way home decide to stop by the site to see how construction is going (about 11:00 pm). As we pull into the area, there, by all the lumber, sits one of our elderly gentlemen members in his pick-up truck armed with a cell-phone, pre-typed 911 keys, and an itcy call button trigger finger. We asked what he was doing, and he told us that some of the retired guys decided to take turns guarding the lumber every night. I asked why they didn't tell the rest of us.......he said they knew the younger guys all had to get up for work everyday, so the retired guys didn't want to bother us with it. I was amazed.

What kind of a society do we live in when 60, 70, 80, (even one pushing 90) -year old men have to stay up all night to keep guard over a bunch of lumber so thieves won't steal from a church?!?!

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Let me tell you how much I despise thieves.

Ah Hub give the old dudes a break. They want to feel needed and important too. They are providing what service they can. I am sure they can make a call as easy as a anyone else can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think you missed the point, there, Utter.

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    Ah Hub give the old dudes a break. They want to feel needed and important too. They are providing what service they can. I am sure they can make a call as easy as a anyone else can.
    Utter, you missed the point. For the elderly members that are doing this, I have nothing but the greatest of respects. They are some of the best examples of Christians I've ever seen. I only hope that I can be 1/10th the Christ-like image they are. I'm glad they have taken it upon themselves to do this........my gripe is they shouldn't have to.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Perhaps you think the world is nicer and safer than I do... or that the church provides some sort of safety zone from the realities of this world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perhaps you think the world is nicer and safer than I do... or that the church provides some sort of safety zone from the realities of this world.
    Nothing that philosophical, UB. Really I was just trying to relay two main points:

1. I go to church with a bunch of great older guys that are willing to serve in any capacity.

2. Thieves suck.

There may have been some other points in there, but those were the main two.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

I see where you are coming from here HUb, it's very sad that it has come to that point. Utter, I agree that these older folks do feel like they are contributing and that is huge for them, that's cool and I respect that a lot! But it's sad that they have to do this. Last Christmas at our church we had a hand made wooden Nativity Scene outside that was made by the hands of members of a family from our church and someone came by and destroyed it into shreds and stole the Baby Jesus during the night.

C'mon people, what's up with this?:sad:

Milan is offline Registered User

I think you might have missed the point there too :tongue: . He's saying "What kind of world do we live in when elderly people have to guard materials At a Church from theives?"

Chiledog is offline Registered User

HUb, I really appreiciate your story, and could not agree with you more. Stealing has gotten totally out of hand, and respect for other people's property is non-existent in the minds of many. However, like you said, when there is not even respect for property that belongs to a church, then the fear of God is completely gone in the lives of a few. Theft has become a huge problem here in Chile as well. If it ain't nailed down, it's fair game for anyone. And sometimes even when it is nailed down! The latest trend is to steal electric line cables: the ones that are run along the electric poles of the street. Now that's crazy, and a few people have been electrocuted trying to pull it off. I can't believe a bundle of wire could be worth that kind of risk.

Although this will probably not work in your situation, here is story of how we made our church here a little safer: Four years ago we had a major flood in the village where I live in Chile. Many people lost their homes, and some lost everything they had. We had recently built an addition on our church, and had repaired the roof. It was one of the few dry places in town, and now had plenty of space. We decided to open the doors and bring in folks to live and eat there until they could get their houses fixed up again. Two of the people that moved in were leaders of a local gang, the kind that the police even try to avoid. We were concerned at first, but they ended up behaving themselves very well. Their families has lost everything, including their homes. So, with the help of the government and a few churches, we were able to build them new homes, as well as refurnish them with basic household items (which was probably more than they had to begin with.) You can imagine their gratitude. Well, on the day they moved out of our church, they thanked us and gave us their solemn promise that their gang would never break in and rob our church. We haven't had to worry much about it since, and what's more, we have developed a pretty good relashionship with the two guys.

Well, just wanted to share a little about life here. I appreciate you doing that as well, since I feel like I know you a little better after reading your story.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chiledog
    HUb, I really appreiciate your story, and could not agree with you more. Stealing has gotten totally out of hand, and respect for other people's property is non-existent in the minds of many. However, like you said, when there is not even respect for property that belongs to a church, then the fear of God is completely gone in the lives of a few. Theft has become a huge problem here in Chile as well. If it ain't nailed down, it's fair game for anyone. And sometimes even when it is nailed down! The latest trend is to steal electric line cables: the ones that are run along the electric poles of the street. Now that's crazy, and a few people have been electrocuted trying to pull it off. I can't believe a bundle of wire could be worth that kind of risk.

Although this will probably not work in your situation, here is story of how we made our church here a little safer: Four years ago we had a major flood in the village where I live in Chile. Many people lost their homes, and some lost everything they had. We had recently built an addition on our church, and had repaired the roof. It was one of the few dry places in town, and now had plenty of space. We decided to open the doors and bring in folks to live and eat there until they could get their houses fixed up again. Two of the people that moved in were leaders of a local gang, the kind that the police even try to avoid. We were concerned at first, but they ended up behaving themselves very well. Their families has lost everything, including their homes. So, with the help of the government and a few churches, we were able to build them new homes, as well as refurnish them with basic household items (which was probably more than they had to begin with.) You can imagine their gratitude. Well, on the day they moved out of our church, they thanked us and gave us their solemn promise that their gang would never break in and rob our church. We haven't had to worry much about it since, and what's more, we have developed a pretty good relashionship with the two guys.

Well, just wanted to share a little about life here. I appreciate you doing that as well, since I feel like I know you a little better after reading your story.
    Wow, I would love to live in a place like that, If we did that for a gang or a gang member I doubt they'd show that much gratitude and would be back to stealing stuff they don't need in no time.