Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Let's lighten up this Lounge!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    sushi - raw fish on rice

sashimi - raw fish by itself
    sushi terms...I get it now
    I am not telling the surviving fish about sushi. They would not like that kind of talk at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Normally I only do controversial in here, but seeing as I haven't been banned yet,............ I like puppies.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    Normally I only do controversial in here, but seeing as I haven't been banned yet,............ I like puppies.
    Very funny FP LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    sushi terms...I get it now
    I am not telling the surviving fish about sushi. They would not like that kind of talk at all.
    It DOES sound kinda fishy to me as well.
    I like puppies, too. I also like cats. Especially with horseradish sauce on a toasted bun...LOL

Cats....the OTHER white meat....

OK, I apologize. I couldn't resist. I do actually like cats and dogs...but not as food.

Oh, and the question about crabs commiting suicide? My guess is they wouldn't try drowning themselves....unless it is in melted butter.....

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    It DOES sound kinda fishy to me as well.

I like puppies, too. I also like cats. Especially with horseradish sauce on a toasted bun...LOL

Cats....the OTHER white meat....

OK, I apologize. I couldn't resist. I do actually like cats and dogs...but not as food.

Oh, and the question about crabs commiting suicide? My guess is they wouldn't try drowning themselves....unless it is in melted butter.....
    When I was at college a Chinese restaraunt was shutdown for serving Cat instead of chicken. I used to have Chicken chow mein frequently.........you can imagine.

Speaking of things Chinese, when you live in Southern China as a foreigner you see some fairly interesting things from a culinary point of view, the following is a brief sample.

Water rat
    Civet cat (actually a fox)
    Cow's intestines
    Chicken's feet (Curried occasionally but mainly fried or boiled)
    Frog
    Frog's ovaries (good for your skin apparently ,comes in a soup which looks like fruit salad)
    Pig's head (Including eyeballs)
    Snake (various breeds, killed live in front of your table, by being slit in half with a very sharp knife and then cooked to order) The blood is then collected and mixed with rice wine which apprently helps to heat your blood. Commonly tasted in winter.
    Cat (obviously)

And Dog, which while commonly known as a Korean speciality, (and if you visit Korea you can easily sample it) is available in supermarkets in Guangdong province. They display smoked haunch of dog in much the same way as the Spanish display smoked ham in their Bodegas and deli counters from a hook mounted in the ceiling.

My all time favourite however is rat, the reason for which is as follows:-

The Chinese traditionally believe that what a pregnant mother eats during her term will be reflected in the physical and mental make-up of her baby. Consequently, some foods are wholly recommended, whilst others are discouraged. Watermelon for instance is very bad because it will turn your baby's brain to mush, whereas rat is very good because it will increase your baby's cunning and intelligence.

The rat to be eaten can't be any old rat however, and it must be specially prepared.

It must be a newly born rat that upon birth, has been drowned in rice wine and effectively pickled. Chinese rice wine is particularly strong stuff, and in it's different varieties either tastes of Sherry, port or a really nasty vodka. The rat, once pickled and left for an unspecified length of time, is then drunk along with the rice wine and swallowed whole.

If you can't manage that then you have to swallow the rat and then drink the wine.

This is true, it is no urban myth and they still do it in some parts of the new territories of Hong Kong and southern China.

Just think, I haven't even told you about the pig mummy yet, what kind of things can pass for medicine here or where some of the fish eaten here actually come from...............

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The rat, once pickled and left for an unspecified length of time, is then drunk along with the rice wine and swallowed whole.

If you can't manage that then you have to swallow the rat and then drink the wine.
    Sounds like drinking the worm in the tequila bottle except a rat is a lot bigger than a worm.

The year of the dog is almost here. Does dog get more popular in the year of the dog?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you were born in the year of the dog it's unlucky to eat a dog, if you were born in the year of the horse it's unlucky to eat a horse etc.............

So dogs aren't especially popular this year, especially not in HK where they are banned as a foodstuff .(British sensibilities sometimes remain) In China though it'll be same as usual, with anything that moves game for the chop.............

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

When I was at college a Chinese restaraunt was shutdown for serving Cat instead of chicken. I used to have Chicken chow mein frequently.........you can imagine.

Speaking of things Chinese, when you live in Southern China as a foreigner you see some fairly interesting things from a culinary point of view, the following is a brief sample.

Water rat
    Civet cat (actually a fox)
    Cow's intestines
    Chicken's feet (Curried occasionally but mainly fried or boiled)
    Frog
    Frog's ovaries (good for your skin apparently ,comes in a soup which looks like fruit salad)
    Pig's head (Including eyeballs)
    Snake (various breeds, killed live in front of your table, by being slit in half with a very sharp knife and then cooked to order) The blood is then collected and mixed with rice wine which apprently helps to heat your blood. Commonly tasted in winter.
    Cat (obviously)

And Dog, which while commonly known as a Korean speciality, (and if you visit Korea you can easily sample it) is available in supermarkets in Guangdong province. They display smoked haunch of dog in much the same way as the Spanish display smoked ham in their Bodegas and deli counters from a hook mounted in the ceiling.

My all time favourite however is rat, the reason for which is as follows:-

The Chinese traditionally believe that what a pregnant mother eats during her term will be reflected in the physical and mental make-up of her baby. Consequently, some foods are wholly recommended, whilst others are discouraged. Watermelon for instance is very bad because it will turn your baby's brain to mush, whereas rat is very good because it will increase your baby's cunning and intelligence.

The rat to be eaten can't be any old rat however, and it must be specially prepared.

It must be a newly born rat that upon birth, has been drowned in rice wine and effectively pickled. Chinese rice wine is particularly strong stuff, and in it's different varieties either tastes of Sherry, port or a really nasty vodka. The rat, once pickled and left for an unspecified length of time, is then drunk along with the rice wine and swallowed whole.

This is true, it is no urban myth and they still do it in some parts of the new territories of Hong Kong and southern China.

Just think, I haven't even told you about the pig mummy yet, what kind of things can pass for medicine here or where some of the fish eaten here actually come from...............
    I think I'll keep a copy of this post to use as an appetite suppressant the next time I go on a diet.

RammieGirl Guest

You know what? It doesn't take much for a thread to take a kazillion different directions. Very insightful!! lol

Gotta love us!!!

SFCRamFan Guest

My son is sure to be a future veterinarian. He loves animals. We have a yellow lab named Bruce (after the shark in Nemo), a greyhound pit bull mix named Buster (fast and deadly), two green anoles, and a Costa Rican Tarantula. Our hampster died over the holidays, though. I will never get another one of those disgusting beasts. I am not keen on anything related or from the rodent family of creatures.

SFCRamFan Guest

On the topic of eating animals:

While I was stationed in Korea I actually saw them beat dogs over the head with a bat or a club to kill them. Then they would slit their throat and hang them up by their hind legs to drain them. Then I saw them take a small torch to burn off their hair before butchering. They serve it as an aphrodisiac over there. Personally, there is nothing about eating dog that would get a rise out of me. That one I never quite understood...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of Starbucks... (we were talking about Starbucks, right? Oh... well, anyway...)

I was in Starbucks this morning and, after placing my order, the coffee-dude asked, "can I have your name?"

I responded, "then what would people call me?"

He didn't get it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Speaking of cats, does anyone watch Sagwa with their kids?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    On the topic of eating animals:

While I was stationed in Korea I actually saw them beat dogs over the head with a bat or a club to kill them. Then they would slit their throat and hang them up by their hind legs to drain them. Then I saw them take a small torch to burn off their hair before butchering. They serve it as an aphrodisiac over there. Personally, there is nothing about eating dog that would get a rise out of me. That one I never quite understood...
    That's fierce...........................

They use a torch here to burn the hair off water rat before cooking. Should see the size of the mothers, some are as big as a small dog and they kill them by smashing them over the head with a big rubber mallett.

When you go to France and you order a steak, particularly in rural areas, just be aware that you'll probably get horse. Excellent meat, like reallly good beef.

Fundamentally, there's little difference between eating a dog, a horse or a cow.

general counsel is offline Registered User

"No difference between eating a horse, dog or cow..."

Intellectually, that makes sense, we are all beholden to our societal views of what constitutes a "domesticated" animal/pet.

On the other hand, could you have a conversation with Mr. Ed and then bash him over the head with a mallet and eat him for dinner? In fact, i should have added mr. ed on the sitcom list.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast