Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User

The licensed Public house.

Whilst talking about the unwritten social rules present in an English village pub (no talk of politics, religion or parentage, but get as offensive as you like about anything else particularly sport) with a correspondent via PM, I started to think about my favourite Pub in the whole world.

And it has to be the 'Lord Nelson' in Southwold, Suffolk, England. It is steeped in history (Over 200 years old), has the low ceilings, open fire and naval memorabilia expected of such an establishment, is situated overlooking Sole bay (site of a terrific naval battle) and serves the best beers in England courtesy of the brewers Adnams who own it.

I'll see if I can post a picture of the Nelson in the gallery, but in the meantime what's your favourite Pub, victualling house or ale den, where and why?

Re: The licensed Public house.

Nelson is in the gallery.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Being a Yank and all, I have to go with the Black Rose in Boston.

Its an Irish Pub near Quincy Market (at the foot of the clock tower, to be precise), that caters to an interesting mix of locals, college students and tourists.

When I was in college, we used to go there on Friday nights when the folk singers would encourage us to sing along with the Irish folk classics they sang. That and a few pints always made for a nice evening.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well, they aren't exactly public houses, just bars, but I have two favorites.

First off is a place called the Ball Park Tavern. It wasn't near a ball park, and it wasn't a tavern. It was a small, old building on a side street that had an undersized pool table, a crappy jukebox, a surly bartender with a shotgun, and lots of bikers. When the 80's ended, it turned into another redneck hole-in-the-wall, but during the 80's, it was a great place to be if you were a biker. Lots of COLD beer for the guys, wine coolers for the ladies, fights every night....man, I miss it.

The other place was called Foxy's. It started out as Wu Fats. When I started going there in the 80's, it was the 'adult' entertainment place in Springfield. One of the DJ's was Wizzard (RIP, dude) and he looked like Merlin. He knew his music...all rock. He was the guy who got me spinning records there. The place had 3 pool tables, cute bartenders who overpoured drinks, drunk customers who thought they could fight, and I think they had dancers, too...LOL

Foxy's is now closed. When the doors locked for the last time, I knew I'd never have another 'men's bar' to hang out at. It wasn't the girls, or the music, or the building. It was the personality. That place was great...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Duke of York - London - I've been to a lot of nice pubs since I've been here, some where you could sit by the fire drinking cider, some with cheap comedy, some that were great for students, some with great music or superior local brew, but nowhere else with such character. The Duke is tiny, maybe not the cleanest place, and may seem a touch out of place in London's West End. Nonetheless, it packs them in on game day. There's karaoke, too. In fact, one day a group of young ladies invited my friends and myself to join them for a rousing tune. We could hardly refuse.

In the midst of the song, a sop at the bar tried to nick my wallet. Maybe he was new to this or maybe it was the booze, but I caught him in the act. So there we were, he's the local and he's getting belligerent, my fellow students don't know what's going on so we're dealing with this guy but never failing to miss a beat during our part of the song. We won first prize on the night in karaoke. I've been to many a classier establishment but never one quite as entertaining.

There was a great place in Dublin I visited at Thanksgiving too, but for the life of me I can't remember it's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Duke of York - London - I've been to a lot of nice pubs since I've been here, some where you could sit by the fire drinking cider, some with cheap comedy, some that were great for students, some with great music or superior local brew, but nowhere else with such character. The Duke is tiny, maybe not the cleanest place, and may seem a touch out of place in London's West End. Nonetheless, it packs them in on game day. There's karaoke, too. In fact, one day a group of young ladies invited my friends and myself to join them for a rousing tune. We could hardly refuse.

In the midst of the song, a sop at the bar tried to nick my wallet. Maybe he was new to this or maybe it was the booze, but I caught him in the act. So there we were, he's the local and he's getting belligerent, my fellow students don't know what's going on so we're dealing with this guy but never failing to miss a beat during our part of the song. We won first prize on the night in karaoke. I've been to many a classier establishment but never one quite as entertaining.

There was a great place in Dublin I visited at Thanksgiving too, but for the life of me I can't remember it's name.
    Duke of York - nice establishment.

My favourite in London is the 'Jeremy Bentham' near University College London. Cosy little snug. Used to be anyways.

Quick diversion...........why the addicks?

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Forget licensed. The little shabeen in Guguletu had its charm. Some of the best dagga fit for man ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    Duke of York - nice establishment.

My favourite in London is the 'Jeremy Bentham' near University College London. Cosy little snug. Used to be anyways.

Quick diversion...........why the addicks?
    I didn't have a team when I moved to London. I hate Chelsea with a passion, and it's hard to get tickets to Arsenal or Tottenham. So in the Premiership that left West Ham, Fulham, or Charlton. Out of those three, Charlton was the most entertaining, and I like what they do with the community. They're even setting up academies back in the States.

The 'Jeremy Bentham' is nice. I stopped in there a couple nights ago on the way back from campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I didn't have a team when I moved to London. I hate Chelsea with a passion, and it's hard to get tickets to Arsenal or Tottenham. So in the Premiership that left West Ham, Fulham, or Charlton. Out of those three, Charlton was the most entertaining, and I like what they do with the community. They're even setting up academies back in the States.

The 'Jeremy Bentham' is nice. I stopped in there a couple nights ago on the way back from campus.
    Charlton are a good London team to adopt. An Aussie mate of mine went to live in London and he's ended up adopting them for much the same reasons as you, ticketing availability especially.

The 'Duke of Northumberland' is also worthwhile visiting in that area, or used to be anyhow. Must be said my recollections have to be qualified by their age. I was back in London for 6 weeks this last summer but spent most of my time in the City, where the pubs are all fairly non-descipt or quasi-wine bars, nothing to recommend.

Are you at UCL then?

Are you at UCL then?
    Yep, a postgrad.

Good man...............I happened to do my MA there.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

Good man...............I happened to do my MA there.

This could be misunderstood and taken as a little disturbing Mr. Pang.......hahaha

Steady on, there's BIG RED out there.................

LOL

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

LOL LOL this thread is getting spicy. Mr. Pang is headed into deep water.......LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    LOL LOL this thread is getting spicy. Mr. Pang is headed into deep water.......LOL
    Again..........................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast