bigredman is offline Registered User

Unhappy Links still don't work for paid subscribers.

RE: Old Lady Fight thread in Lounge
    OK RamDez, how is it that Bruce=GOAT posts a link in this thread and it is both visible and works, but when I attempt to post a link in the same thread it is NOT visible or work? (Shows the Paid Subscribers blurb)

Is there a secret to doing this? If so, please share with me via PM. I promise not to tell.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Links still don't work for paid subscribers.

Instead of straight pasting the link, the secret is to use the "Insert Link" button just above the message box when you make a post. It ends up looking like *[ url = http :// www. clanram . com/ ] 'Anything you wanna type here to click on to get to the link' [ /url ]

*Without the spaces. Works for me, I don't know if it's different for others' computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Instead of straight pasting the link, the secret is to use the "Insert Link" button just above the message box when you make a post. It ends up looking like *[ url = http :// www. clanram . com/ ] 'Anything you wanna type here to click on to get to the link' [ /url ]

*Without the spaces. Works for me, I don't know if it's different for others' computers.
    Nope...tried using the insert link button before, it dissappears and gives paid subscriber thing still. Even tried the space after the "www." and it shows up, but it put "%20" where the space was so the link wouldn't work when I click on it.
    Last edited by bigredman; -07-05-2006 at 12:56 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Nope...tried using the insert link button before, it dissappears and gives paid subscriber thing still. Even tried the space after the "www." and it shows up, but it put "%20" where the space was so the link wouldn't work when I click on it.
    This is a last ditch effort from my limited 'forum bug' knowledge, but maybe if you type it out manually instead of using the 'insert link' button it'll show up? Could be something about which browser you use as well, who knows (Dez, hopefully?).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Well it's going to disappear if, when you use the Insert Link button, the text that is made into a link is still a URL address.

You just have to make sure you highlight a word (not the URL but just a word or the title of the article), then click Insert Link, paste the URL, and then Submit Reply. By highlighting a word and inserting the link around that word, you should then be able to click on that word to take you there.

It's been my experience that the board recognizes URLs that are meant to look like URLs in the text body and blocks it, but doesn't block URLs that are hidden as linked words you can click on.

For instance, here's a link to Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia.

Wikipedia

And it works, because the word you click on is Wikipedia, not the address to the site. And you do that by typing the word Wikipedia, highlighting it, and using the Insert Link tab. That's what EDM was referring to, I believe.

But you're telling me that doesn't work for you either?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Well it's going to disappear if, when you use the Insert Link button, the text that is made into a link is still a URL address.

You just have to make sure you highlight a word (not the URL but just a word or the title of the article), then click Insert Link, paste the URL, and then Submit Reply. By highlighting a word and inserting the link around that word, you should then be able to click on that word to take you there.

It's been my experience that the board recognizes URLs that are meant to look like URLs in the text body and blocks it, but doesn't block URLs that are hidden as linked words you can click on.

For instance, here's a link to Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia.

Wikipedia

And it works, because the word you click on is Wikipedia, not the address to the site. And you do that by typing the word Wikipedia, highlighting it, and using the Insert Link tab. That's what EDM was referring to, I believe.

But you're telling me that doesn't work for you either?
    Nope....that's news to me....will try that when applicable. Thanks. All I know is that six months ago I could post links with no problems, but now I can't. I'm not angry or anything....just letting you know. I appreciate the fact that Dez is trying to make this a premium feature...but its not working correctly, and I'm sure he would want to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    And you do that by typing the word Wikipedia, highlighting it, and using the Insert Link tab. That's what EDM was referring to, I believe.
    Thank you, Nick, for making sense out of this mess. When you use the 'insert link' button it automatically pastes the URL into the "clickable" message, the part that shows in the actual post. I've always replaced that with words to click on just because it looks more stylish (or "hip" for all you hipsters out there) that way, so I never realized posting the actual URL with the tags was the problem... guess you have to do it the hip way now.