ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Man pinned under tree amputates his leg

Man pinned under tree amputates his leg
    The Associated Press

IOWA HILL, Calif. --Alone in the woods with his left leg pinned beneath a fallen tree for 11 hours, a 66-year-old man used pocket knives to cut off his limb below the knee to free himself, a neighbor and authorities said.

Al Hill had been cutting trees last Friday when one fell on him. After freeing himself, he cried out for help, and a neighbor passing through this sparsely populated area heard him.

Eric Bookey then hiked nearly two miles to get a cellular signal and placed an emergency call to the town's all-volunteer fire department about 7:30 p.m., Fire Chief Luana Dowling told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Hill was eventually airlifted by helicopter to a hospital where he underwent amputation surgery, Dowling said. "He's a pretty remarkable person," Dowling said.

A hospital spokeswoman said Hill was in serious condition on Wednesday, and that he was declining interviews. :\

I hope I am never ini a position where I need to make THAT call... and if I ever were, I hope my knife is sharp!:x

RnD

GO RAMS!!

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: Man pinned under tree amputates his leg

Sad story, I've heard a couple other stories about people haveing to amputate themselves. One guy did it to his arm that got pinned while rock climbing.

This story makes me wonder though, why was he cutting down trees in the middle of the woods in the first place?

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Re: Man pinned under tree amputates his leg

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post

This story makes me wonder though, why was he cutting down trees in the middle of the woods in the first place?
    My first guess is that maybe that is where the trees are?

Seriously, though..... I have cut down quite a few trees and it really is NOT that hard to figure out which way they are fallling. In fact if done correctly one can make them fall at least in the general direction of where one would like them to land.

The intestinal fortitude required to hack off one of one's limbs is admirable. Or maybe it is simply desperation and there is no turning back once one initiates the act. :\
    RnD

GO RAMS!!