Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Meanwhile, at the Hall of Naysayers...

Bah Hub,
    Proverbs 17:28
    Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is counted wise. When he shuts his lips, he is thought to be discerning.
    For civility's sake, I will assume you're not implying I'm a fool who should have kept my mouth shut.
    You are welcome to create any category of game rating you want, but I hope you don't balance your checkbook that way
    Actually, I balance my checkbook in the same manner as win-loss standings. A mark in one column (deposits/wins) is a good thing, in the other column (expenses/losses) is a bad thing. I'm still looking for any other columns, but have yet to find any.
    But I have not missed experiencing the painful loss to our biggest rival. Didn't you feel any pain? I did. Who wants to lose to them, of all teams? Perhaps that's fine with you Hub, not me.
    The pain of ANY loss is what defines us as fans.
    Especially when we should have blown them out.
    Should we have? Maybe it's our expectations that are out of order.
    Hub,
    If that loss to the 4-9ers doesn't bother you
    Bothersome? Yes. Humiliating? No.
    Hub,
    Is he wrong to have felt that way? And Hub, didn't you pick the Rams to win? Yes, it was a humiliating loss to me. Anybody but them.
    Actually, I'd say there is more wrong if one DIDN'T feel sick after a loss....ANY loss. I'm sorry that you feel humiliated by the loss. That is your right to feel that way. However, losing by 3 on the road is not humiliating.
    Hub,
    And wasn't there a post a couple weeks ago about not only winning but how we win? Who here, didn't fear, we could lose, when they were near ?
    Yes, I believe there was a thread along those lines. And I'm sure we have those fears every week, as we should. We should have just as much anxiety about losing each week as we should excitement about a win. Any week, any game could go any way.
    I expected our team to crush the Card, instead we escaped without dignity.
    So again, we are back to your expectations. And what we "escaped" with was a win.
    I expected to lose to Tenn, but we won, but it was not a win that would cause a feeling of football superiority.
    The only superiority that should matter is having a larger number on the scoreboard, which we have done for 2 of our 3 games.
    Don't shoebox me Hub. If I've rained on your parade, sorry, but I still think we've got cause to be concerned.
    There isn't a team in the NFL that doesn't have cause for concern. That's normal. However, I think some go out of their way to not see the value in a 2-1 record three weeks into the season.
    After all, the O-Line is older, not younger. We're years away from our SB win. Many of our skill position players are older, not younger. And most notable, the weak teams that we have to play again from last season have gotten stronger. Doesn't that concern you?
    Again, there is always cause for concern, and the age of some of our players is IMHO the main reason our offense does not resemble the GSOT. The names are the same, but they're all 6 years older. Knowing all this makes me wonder why you would expect us to "crush" or "blow out" any other team in the league.
    I'm objecting to Av's exaggerated, but nicely written, criticism of those that are still concerned.
    Well, if we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?
    I'll take 3 point wins all season long.
    My new friend Mr. Stomach Ulcer would disagree, but I too will take any 3 point win the Rams can manage.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Naysayers come and go.

Optimists live forever.

-- Confusedus
    Could not resist AV.

If you are such an optimist why don’t you quit work stay at home and be optimistic that all your bills will be paid? Leave it to the realist to analyze the situation realize his bills will not be paid and go to work. Which one do you think will survive longer?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Apparently you equate the word optimist with the word insane.

Typical naysayer propaganda. :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    Could not resist AV.

If you are such an optimist why donít you quit work stay at home and be optimistic that all your bills will be paid? Leave it to the realist to analyze the situation realize his bills will not be paid and go to work. Which one do you think will survive longer?
    Interesting, but I think the more proper analogy would be the optomist working, paying his bills, and happy that they are paid. The "realist" (at least some around here) would go to work, pay the bills, and then wallow in the mire because the bills were paid three days before they were due instead of a month before they were due.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Interesting, but I think the more proper analogy would be the optomist working, paying his bills, and happy that they are paid. The "realist" (at least some around here) would go to work, pay the bills, and then wallow in the mire because the bills were paid three days before they were due instead of a month before they were due.
    It’s probably true that some will try to find the negative in everything. Some people also will try to find the positive in every thing. Then some will analyze the situation good or bad and say what they feel good about or what concerns they have about the team.

People should not live life in the past. People also should not live life in the future. People should always live in the present and use the past to plan for the future. Presently I think there are some legitimate concerns out there but some around here will try to squash anyone that talks about their concerns.

Some people like to start posts categorizing people as one of two things either naysayers or optimist. All based on if someone says anything that is remotely negative whether it’s a concern about the team or a true problem with the team.

I know I have said things both positive and negative. I think that I have expressed more positives about this team then negatives. But I am sure I am labeled a naysayer for saying anything remotely negative. But if being a naysayer means being able to say truly what you think about this team with out personal like or dislike clouding your judgment then I am a naysayer and proud of it.

I think some so-called optimists should be more optimistic about their fellow clan members. I wouldn’t think an optimist would start a negative thread about other clan members.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -09-28-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    I am sure I am labeled a naysayer for saying anything remotely negative. But if being a naysayer means being able to say truly what you think about this team with out personal like or dislike clouding your judgment then I am a naysayer and proud of it.
    I think we can dispense with the self-condemnations at this point. This thread is a satirical approach to a group of fans that refuse to see the positives in the Rams. The Rams can't accomplish enough to satisfy these individuals. It's as if they don't want to see the steps forward the team takes. If this doesn't describe you, then the thread doesn't portray you.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I think we can dispense with the self-condemnations at this point. This thread is a satirical approach to a group of fans that refuse to see the positives in the Rams. The Rams can't accomplish enough to satisfy these individuals. It's as if they don't want to see the steps forward the team takes. If this doesn't describe you, then the thread doesn't portray you.
    Yeah, no reason to have self-condemnations. Other fans will do it for you and it is okay just as long as it is in the name of "satire"...

:tongue:

Why can't you all just see that everyone in life looks at things differently, not just football. Live your life, be happy, and let others do the same.
    This space for rent...

Yeah, no reason to have self-condemnations. Other fans will do it for you and it is okay just as long as it is in the name of "satire"...
    I don't know that there have been ANY condemnations, be it in the form of satire or not. There are plenty of disagreements, but without disagreements there would be no message boards.
    Why can't you all just see that everyone in life looks at things differently, not just football. Live your life, be happy, and let others do the same.
    I fail to see how AV's thread A) attempts to live someone else's life, B) illustrates a level of depression, or C) stops anyone else from living or being happy.

Maybe thoey once had a dastardly scheme foiled by the meddling of the SuperFriends!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

What is the underlying contention behind this thread?

1. That there are some Ram fans who will always try to stress negatives over positives.

2. That the SuperFriends was a really cool show.

1. That there are some Ram fans who will always try to stress negatives over positives.
    Hmmm....If you say so. IMO they are just fans expressing their opinions. Where would the board be without opinions?

Expressing an opinon, whether it be negative or positive, can be looked at as a positive form of communication amongst fans. I think fans can learn about the game from this communication. Acquiring knowledge is a positive.

The problem I see, in general, is that an opinion is often frowned upon if it disagrees with another persons opinion. Then very often, badgering, gloating, and bickering starts, rather than any further form of constructive learning from the disagreement. It seems that someone always has to be right or someone has to be wrong, when very often there is no right or wrong. Just the other day we had a poster offering crow to those who had a difference of opinion than his own. No proof was offered, in any form, to settle the difference of opinion, rather, gloating and badgering was simply offered up at its finest.

I wonder where the emphasis is placed at Rams Park throughout the week?

Fixing problems?

Continued improvement?

or...

Simply basking in the joy of the positives from the prior game?

2. That the SuperFriends was a really cool show.
    I do not recall ever watching the show, but I thank you for your opinion.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    The problem I see, in general, is that an opinion is often frowned upon if it disagrees with another persons opinion. Then very often, badgering, gloating, and bickering starts, rather than any further form of constructive learning from the disagreement. It seems that someone always has to be right or someone has to be wrong, when very often there is no right or wrong. Just the other day we had a poster offering crow to those who had a difference of opinion than his own. No proof was offered, in any form, to settle the difference of opinion, rather, gloating and badgering was simply offered up at its finest.

...very astute observation Ferter...well said!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Here's a tip, if you take (1) yourself or (2) me too seriously when I'm posting obviously satirical commentary, you may wish to rethink your approach.

I asked a question about the thread. My opinions were directed at the response to the question not the satire.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast