RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Most Unforgettable Sports Musical Performances

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_...e-musical.html

SI.com's Jimmy Traina.
    1/17/2007 08:51:00 AM
    Most Unforgettable Musical Performances

With Prince set to perform at halftime of Super Bowl XLI on Feb. 4, it's time to look at the most unforgettable performances (in no particular order) from various sporting events. These aren't necessarily the best performances, but a combination of the best, worst and most controversial.

1. Janet Jackson at Super Bowl XXXVIII: We start with the performance that caused more buzz and trouble than any another in history -- Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction. When Justin Timberlake sang the line, "Gonna have you naked by the end of this song," and then carried out the promise by ripping part of Jackson's top, it became the most rewound moment in TiVo history and changed the standard guidelines for TV broadcasters.

2. Whitney Houston at Super Bowl XXV: Before the singer's most famous moment on television -- telling Diane Sawyer that "crack is whack" -- Houston was best remembered for her emotional rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner during the Gulf War.

3. Marvin Gaye at the 1983 NBA All-Star Game: While Houston belted out a traditional version of the national anthem, it was Gaye's unique and soulful rendition that whipped the Great Western Forum crowd into a frenzy. How many times have you heard a crowd actually clap along to The Star-Spangled Banner?

4. U2 at Super Bowl XXXVI: On Feb. 3, 2002, just four months after the Sept. 11 attacks, the band performed Where the Streets Have No Name while the names of the victims scrolled upward on an enormous backdrop during the song. The result was an uplifting, moving and emotional rememberance.

5. Ashlee Simpson at the 2005 Orange Bowl: Before Ashlee got some plastic surgery and became hot, she was known as Jessica's younger sister who was busted for lip synching on Saturday Night Live in October 2004. A few months later, Ashlee took to the stage at halftime of the Orange Bowl, but unlike the folks who were in the audience at SNL, the Miami crowd let Simpson know what it thought of her screeching performance and booed her off the stage. For you maschochists reading this, here's a longer version of the clip.

6. Michael Jackson at Super Bowl XXVII: In what has to be the most bizarre Super Bowl halftime performance ever, Jackson sang a medley of his hits while being joined on stage (around the stage, actually) by 3,500 children. Michael Jackson and 3,500 children. I'll leave it at that. The best part of the clip comes at the 1:20ish mark when Michael is giving a speech about remaking the planet into a haven of joy while holding a microphone, but then quickly has to start singing and completely botches the lip synching.

7. Caroline Marcil at a 2005 U.S.-Canada exhibition hockey game: In a clip made famous on the Internet, poor Caroline twice botched the words to the anthem, went to the dressing room to get the lyrics, came back and fell hard onto the ice before leaving without trying to sing the song for a third time.

8. Carl Lewis at a 1993 Nets game: Lewis attempted to put his own spin on the national anthem, but from the first looooong note, you knew he was in trouble. And so did he. Midway through the song, Lewis promised to make up for his shaky start. Moral of the story: Lewis can run, but he can't keep promises.

9. Roseanne Barr at a Padres game in 1990: The sitcom star screamed the national anthem, spit, grabbed her crotch and almost caused a riot at Jack Murphy Stadium. The incident became a major news story and Barr received death threats. Could you imagine someone trying to do this today. Unfortunately -- or maybe fortunately -- there is no video of the incident online, but this link is more than enough.

10. Borat at the Rodeo: In his recent hit movie, the Kazakhstani reporter started off as a hit when he addressed the Salem, Va., crowd and told them he supported America's war of terror. However, when Borat tried to sing Kazakhstan's national anthem and said all other countries are run by little girls, the fans quickly turned on him.

Are there any performances I've left off the list? Which version of The Star-Spangled Banner is your favorite -- Whitney Houston's or Marvin Gaye's? Which performance is most disturbting -- Michael Jackson's or Roseanne Barr's?

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Most Unforgettable Sports Musical Performances

The original story from SI has links in the story to the video of every performance listed. Some are definitely worth watching again.

I had never seen #3 by Marvin Gaye, and that now has to be one of my most favorite National Anthem performances ever.

I love #7 and laugh my arse off at that poor girl everytime I watch it.

Do you guys have any favorites to add to the list?

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

#5, don't you just love maimi hurricane fans? Yeah!! Go canes!!
    Built RAM tough

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Carl Lewis singing the National Anthem was a pure disaster. That guy couldn't carry a tune in a bucket....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

How does the U2/Green Day musical performance at the season opener in New Orleans not make this list? I'm not much of a fan of either band, but with the return to New Orleans I just thought that was a really amazing moment.