Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My rant on... cell phones!

Let's start with some context. I do have a cell phone. I have had one for years. It is a useful tool both for my work and for keeping in touch with my wife when I'm out and about.

But... I don't carry it around. It generally stays in my car (I remember when they actually called them "car phones"). I have a camera on my phone, but only because when I bought my current phone, there were none available without a camera! I've never purchasd a ring tone, I don't have MP3s stored on my phone, I don't text message, and I don't have any video games on my phone.

My question is... how did the cell phone industry explode into the monster it is today?

Its not just all the needless, pointless accessories and add-ons. Its the way people use their phones. I see people at restaurants and coffee shops sitting with a their friends - and they're all talking on cell phones (I assume they're not talking to each other, as that would be really scary). Not just teens and 20somethings, either. Its the "soccer moms," the middle-aged men and even some retirees!

Have people become so frightened of being alone with their own thoughts for five minutes that they now need constant contact with someone to discuss whatever inane thoughts might come to their mind? (That's what internet message boards are for, after all, right? )

The way I see it, the following are signs that you are overdoing it with your cell phone:

1. Have you ever had a cell phone conversation while doing your business in a public restroom? (give yourself bonus points if your answer is "yes" and you don't have a hands-free system.)

2. Do people often mistake you for someone suffering from dual personality disorder as a result of your talking on Bluetooth wireless while walking around in public?

3. If you add up the amount of money you've spent on ringtones, wallpapers and other downloads for your phone in the last year, is it enough to pay a month of rent or a mortgage payment?

4. Are you offended by this thread?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-14-2006 at 11:53 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: My rant on... cell phones!

I assume they're not talking to each other
    Do you remember a couple of years ago at the draft when Rosenhaus called McGahee on his cell phone with the ESPN camera on them so it would look like some other team was interested?

That was some funny stuff.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Same here Avenger.I use my phone for buisness and keeping in touch with the wifey.Both of my sons and my oldest sons girl friend are always asking me if they can use my cell.They get very angry with me when I say no.My company pays for the service so I dont use it for friviality.I actually have a phone with no camera.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Some of you know that I'm a law enforcement officer, not a patrol officer, I'm plain clothes in a "plain clothes" vehicle as well. However, the vehicle has the lights and sirens like you'd see and hear on a patrol car. The other day, I pick up a fugitive and have to transport him 50 miles down the road. The problem is the judge has some appointment and wants him there within 30 minutes. So instead of a leisurly ride back to town, I now have to move at a little quicker pace with lights and sirens.

Now here's the kicker, with my lights and sirens on, every vehicle with the exception of 6 cars got out of my way. All 6 drivers of the vehicles that stayed in my lane had a cell phone stuck to their ear!

If you're so distracted by your cell phone, that you can't see flashing lights and a blaring siren behind you......it's time to put the phone down.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

My most classic cell phone story that I can somewhat laugh at now is when my daughter started using the internet and met a friend and they used to chat quite frequently. Her and this girl started talking all the time on the cell phone which is not unusual for teenage girls, I didn’t think anything of it. My daughter always made sure she was talking during the “free hour times”. It was Christmas vacation, so we allowed her to stay up a little later too. I heard many of the conversations and it was very innocent. BUTTTTTTTTTTT…………..

Well, come to find out, her new little friend lived in Canada which is considered International Calling and does not fit under “free hour times” and international charges are applied. So when I came home one day with the cell phone bill laying on the kitchen counter with a note from my daughter saying “I’m sorry, I didn’t know this would have charges like this, I thought it was free time. I will sell all my CD’s, have a garage sale and sell all my stuff and please don’t buy me any birthday or Christmas gifts anymore. I will pay for this. I’m so sorry.”

Well, when I looked at the bill, a lot of bad words came out of my mouth which I cannot put on here, but I’m sure that most of you could relate since the bill came to over 5,000 fricken dollars!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, over 5000 dollars. The charges were astronomical. Over $100 per hour. It was crazy. This happened a couple of years ago and is still very fresh in my memory. So let this be a lesson to all parents out there that free cell hour time is not necessarily free outside of the USA. YIKES!!!!!
    hone:

Ouch!

Nice that your daughter tried to take responsibility, though.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

Oh yeah, she was very afraid of mom for quite some time. She still cringes when the cell phone bill comes in. I even called the company pleading my case that it was my daughter not knowing that these were international charges and I got the "yeah right, do you know how many times we hear that?" which, of course, would be expected. So I sicked my dad on them who was much more vocal and we got $750 taken off.

Better than nothing I guess!

Milan is offline Registered User

Cell Phones have gotten annoying.
    At school, you get these idiots wasting money text messaging someone literally 5 meters away.

I don't want to convert that from metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan
    Cell Phones have gotten annoying.
    At school, you get these idiots wasting money text messaging someone literally 5 meters away.

I don't want to convert that from metric.
    That conversion would be 16 feet, 4.85 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    That conversion would be 16 feet, 4.85 inches.
    That Can't be?

I'm sure you mean yards instead of inches.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Not quite. 16 feet AND 4.85 inches. Or 196.85 inches total.

I'm pretty sure HU is right, but I'm absolutely certain that its a shorter distance than the length a human voice will carry, thus making the texting anything but necessary.

When I was a kid (man, that makes me sound old), we used to get in trouble for passing actual notes.

How times have changed.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan
    That Can't be?

I'm sure you mean yards instead of inches.
    1 meter = 1.09 yard
    4 meters = 4.37 yds
    4.37yds = 13 ft 1.32 inches

http://www.france-property-and-infor...ble.htm#Length
    Last edited by Truth; -03-14-2006 at 07:20 PM.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm pretty sure HU is right, but I'm absolutely certain that its a shorter distance than the length a human voice will carry, thus making the texting anything but necessary.

When I was a kid (man, that makes me sound old), we used to get in trouble for passing actual notes.

How times have changed.
    Guess we'd still get in trouble for that, haven't seen anyone do it though.

Also:

1 meter = 39.370 078 74 inch [international, U.S.]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

To truly appreciate the hell that living with cell phones can be I would invite you to visit Hong Kong.

Not only do they dominate every waking minute of the lives of the local chinese community here, but by intrusion, every one else's too.

It is not rude to take a cell phone call in a meeting.

It is not rude to take a cell phone call at dinner.

It is not rude to take a cell phone call in the middle of a conversation.

It is perfectly acceptable to use it in the car whilst driving.

It is considered perfectly acceptable to shout down the phone. (Cantonese sounds like an argument anyway)

It is not rude to continually cycle through your ring toned in enclosed spaces.

It is perfectly acceptable to suddenly stop still in the middle of a busy thoroughfare to take a call or send a text message. (I'm sure I accidentally broke someone's nose when they did this once)

Because in Hong Kong you pay for calls received as well as calls made it is also acceptable to wait for at least 30 seconds before answering the phone, thereby regaling everyone with your ring tone.

It is also considered extremely inconvienient to turn it off on planes, so some don't bother.

And to top it all off the expatriate community here (of whom US citizens are the largest contingent) were alarmed by reports that the aviation authorities are considering allowing mobile phone use in flight.

This, on flights from HK, would be an absolute nightmare of terrifying proportions. Indescribable in it's sheer horror.

To Hong Kongers cell phones are fashion accessories and signs of status. I have a PDA for work, and whenever I drag it out of my Jacket pocket it's an object of extreme curiosity. The new Motorola Razor is the thing to have apparently.

I always wonder what on earth they have to say to each other.

So please AR, feel free to come to HK and experience just how bad it can be, because it can be very,very bad indeed...........................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast