Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

New car advice wanted

I need to get a new car, this weekend most likely. My Jeep is a 93 Grand Cherokee and it is pushed my limits lately. It got new exhaust and a new radiator. The new radiator was defective and the transmition fluid mixed with the anti-freeze. Not so good for the transmition. I put another radiator in it, but now I am getting a bad feeling that tells me it probably has a head gasket leak. I hear gurgling. Oh yeah and a couple of weeks ago on a start of a trip down to NC, one of the calipers locked up. New rotors, and new calipers required. Money pit.
    :tut poor jeep

So anyways. It is time for a new vehicle. I never buy new, so I am out of my element here. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

I need room for the dogs to be fenced in the back, and I need to be able to haul stuff. It pretty much has to be an SUV, since I don't want to put the dogs in a open truck bed.

Suggestions?????

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marshall1 is offline Registered User

Re: New car advice wanted

We are looking for a vehicle also, we found that Saab makes small SUV, like your Jeep. It's the 9-2x or something like that. Looks great and the price is awesome mid to upper 20s.
    Nissan makes the Murado, we al re looking at that also. Toyota has a similar car like the Murado, price for those are in the upper 20s to mid 30's.
    Good luck and tell us what you bought.
    Last edited by Marshall1; -07-22-2005 at 02:16 PM. Reason: trying to put web psage in
    "Championship's are won with defense" :angryram:

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Go all out, utter. Get a big ol' Ford Excursion or Chevy Suburban, the dogs will love it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

denverram is offline Registered User

We really like our Chrysler Pacifica. Our dog has plenty of room and it has enough clearence to replace the Grand Cherokee we traded for it. Also has room for kids. Great car!!!

DenverRam
    Last edited by denverram; -07-22-2005 at 03:51 PM. Reason: mispelled word

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    I need to get a new car, this weekend most likely. My Jeep is a 93 Grand Cherokee and it is pushed my limits lately. It got new exhaust and a new radiator. The new radiator was defective and the transmition fluid mixed with the anti-freeze. Not so good for the transmition. I put another radiator in it, but now I am getting a bad feeling that tells me it probably has a head gasket leak. I hear gurgling. Oh yeah and a couple of weeks ago on a start of a trip down to NC, one of the calipers locked up. New rotors, and new calipers required. Money pit.
    :tut poor jeep

So anyways. It is time for a new vehicle. I never buy new, so I am out of my element here. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

I need room for the dogs to be fenced in the back, and I need to be able to haul stuff. It pretty much has to be an SUV, since I don't want to put the dogs in a open truck bed.

Suggestions?????

I never buy new either. I always buy with cash, to avoid interest payments and end up paying more than three times what the thing's worth. Yes, I would buy something slightly used. With cash. Either a Blazer or a Suburban. This is if a Dodge Ram with a shell can't be found. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I drive a Ford Explorer. Even though it is a Ford, it is a very nice SUV. Zero problems...but before you buy, here's a small story.

Bear with me here, please, this is kinda long.

In 1982, I was looking at buying a Shelby Charger. I had a deal worked out to get it fully loaded for an even $10,000.00. I called my father later that night to ask his opinion on the deal before I signed the papers. Here's what he told me:

"You're financing, so there's an additional $2500. (I'm rounding here, can't remember the exact amount of the interest...). Your $10,000 car has now cost $12,500. You put the key in, drive it home, and your $10,000 car that cost you $12,500 is worth $9,000. In an hour, you lost $3500. You drive the car for four years, assuming it is never in an accident, you go to sell it. If you are lucky, you might get $2500 for it, if it is in good shape and well cared for. In four years, you have lost $10,000."
    "You go out and look at a used car, 3 or 4 years old, low miles, well cared for, and it may cost you $3500. If you drive it for 4 years, you can probably sell it for $2000 if you take care of it. You only lose $1500. "
    "Are you going to throw away $208.33 a month on top of your payments, or are you going to spend cash on the used car and lose only $31.25 a month, NO PAYMENTS...."
    I bought a '71 Camaro with 28,000 1-owner miles for only $1250.
    I have never bought a new car, and will only pay cash for my vehicles. Sure, they ain't new, but they are very dependable...well, all but the Blazer. It's for sale, BTW. Here's a pic...her name's Big, Green, and Ugly. It looks rough, but it is a lot of fun. Only reason it isn't being driven right now is a rod knocking, but I'm looking to have it on the road by winter.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I'm out here in the west, born and raised, so if there's an anti-Japanese car sentiment in the Midwest - fine, but if you're buying new (or used) you really should test drive the Honda Pilot. It's much bigger than it looks, is very quick, and drives smaller than it looks.

I'm 6-2 and 240 and if I had 2 more inches of legroom, I'd be fine. As it is, I'm comfortable.

For long trips, we take my EXT.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

ram3057 is offline Registered User

My Jeep is a 93 Grand Cherokee and it is pushed my limits lately.
    Is that all ?? I have an '87 Cherokee, 256,000 miles on it, still runs great!

We just got a new Buick CXS. 'We' pertains to my wife, actually. She was driving a Mercedes, which my son quickly acquired.

Have you seen the new Jeep Commander! Pretty Cool!

http://www.jeep.com/commander/photos/home_flash.html

If you insist on used, the Tahoe's are a good bet.

Good luck!

:bling:
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Go all out, utter. Get a big ol' Ford Excursion or Chevy Suburban, the dogs will love it.
    No way HU. Those things are huge and I don't want the dogs and their fur traveling around. I need them to be contained.

I will be getting something smaller than an Excursion or a Suburban.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    No way HU. Those things are huge and I don't want the dogs and their fur traveling around. I need them to be contained.

I will be getting something smaller than an Excursion or a Suburban.
    My sister has owned several vehicles in the past few years (about 50...she's rich...) and I know she raved about her Tahoe. I still think by the way you are talking that a mid-sized SUV like the Jimmy or Explorer would be about right. Maybe even a Durango.

Quote Originally Posted by ram3057
    Is that all ?? I have an '87 Cherokee, 256,000 miles on it, still runs great!
    That's great. I think I have the first year of the Grand Cherokee and this Jeep is not going to get to that mileage with me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will have to do some quick research and see what looks good. Thanks for all the advice. I still don't know if I can buy a new one, but we will see. I am very tempted right now to quit my job and do some traveling around the country. I will need a trustworthy vehicle to get me around so it is a good time to buy something new, or at least newer.

Gotta love the way I can justify these purchases.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam
    I'm out here in the west, born and raised, so if there's an anti-Japanese car sentiment in the Midwest - fine, but if you're buying new (or used) you really should test drive the Honda Pilot. It's much bigger than it looks, is very quick, and drives smaller than it looks.

I'm 6-2 and 240 and if I had 2 more inches of legroom, I'd be fine. As it is, I'm comfortable.

For long trips, we take my EXT.
    Honda has a good reputation.

What is an EXT?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Utter, here goes my serious and sincere advice towards your new vehicle shoping.

1. I'm just elated to see that most of our brethren here are speaking favorably of their American vehicles. I really (r-e-a-l-l-y) have a problem with ALL Japanese and Korean cars, regardless. It makes me feel good to see the American companies are fighting back the avalanch of oriental car makers/competitors.

European cars, the new ones, are for the most part out of my league. But me likeee!

2. Right now there are several terrific "Employee Discount" deals being offered by GM, Ford and Chrysler. This may be the right timing, my friend.

3. I prefer GM / GMC. For the needs you've mentioned, perhaps a good look at Saturn's new VUE, a sharp, not-too-big and very efficient SUV would be well worth your time. See it at: http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroom/vue/index.jsp?nav=500&flashOK=yes

I hope this helps. Best wishes UtterBlitz. :up:
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-24-2005 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Format

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Chevy Equinox. I have heard nothing but good things about this SUV...of course, I really don't like SUV's...more of a coupe type of person. I like small cars, better gas mileage.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast