Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: New car advice wanted

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    Chevy Equinox. I have heard nothing but good things about this SUV...of course, I really don't like SUV's...more of a coupe type of person. I like small cars, better gas mileage.
    an SUV is not my style, but it serves many needs and it is nice to have a vehicle that I feel invisible in. My mustang and my ninja are way too flashy and they get noticed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    Chevy Equinox. I have heard nothing but good things about this SUV...of course, I really don't like SUV's...more of a coupe type of person. I like small cars, better gas mileage.
    The Equinox engine is made by the Red Chinese, and is used only in that vehicle.

I think the dogs would like something a little bigger. How about a mid-size mini-van like the Chevy Astro Van/GMC Safari? Lots of room, decent mileage, long proven track record.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    Honda has a good reputation.

What is an EXT?
    Cadillac Escalade Truck - (in honor of RealRam).

It really is kinda' ironic. Half the Hondas are manufactured in America, and half the Chevy trucks and SUV's are made in Canada and Mexico.

(And most of the aftermarket "Harley" parts for my RoadGlide are made in China) :drunk:
    Last edited by VegasRam; -07-23-2005 at 12:50 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

gap Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater
    The Equinox engine is made by the Red Chinese, and is used only in that vehicle.

I think the dogs would like something a little bigger. How about a mid-size mini-van like the Chevy Astro Van/GMC Safari? Lots of room, decent mileage, long proven track record.
    This is one of the reasons I cannot stand the GM corp. All this buy American crap, yet almost every box in their inventory is shipped from another country. Why should they expect everyone to buy American if they won't?

I know they aren't the only one, but they are the only that uses the phrase Basebale Hotdogs Apple Pie and manufacturer.

If my memory is correct, they were also the first to put their brand on a foreign made vehicle. I also believe that was about when the avalanche foreign auto manufacturers started.

I would say the best bet would be a Durango with a Hemi. You could also get a Durango that is a few years old to save some jack, but the Hemi wouldn't be an option.

gap

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

I have never been big on Dodge's, every one that i have had has has severe transmission problems. And from what I hear the Hemi is weaker than advertised. If you want something larger than an Equinox (small SUV), go with a Ford Explorer or a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Utter, of course, a step up from the Saturn VUE would be a Buick Rainier (not the Rendezvous):

http://www.buick.com/rainier/

My wife & I have never owned an SUV but this would probably be our first choice; not too big nor flashy but elegant.

Somewhat off topic: I'm well aware that nowadays, many, many of the components that "make" an American vehicle are manufactured in Brazil, Canada, China, Mexico, etc. A movement that began in the mid 70s.

It is part of the new trend and paradigm in world trade called 'globalization'. Still, the finished product maintains an identity that serves its competitiveness and its national return on investment.
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-25-2005 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Adjust link

Johnny Utah is offline Registered User

All of the talk about foreign cars being made in the US and American cars else where is a bunch of BS. Granted the U.S does outsource some of its production. But thats not the point. The point is the end result where the money ends up. If you feel the need to bash the american made autos and buy foreign that is you choice. But keep in mind the end result where your money ends up. In a foreign country. Not here at home. Also the playing field is not even. We have allowed the japaneese auto makers to set up shop in our back yard, but we are not allowed to do the same in there country. It is a one way street in that regard. BTW I know that Ford at least has a very popular market segment in Europe. So its not like we couldn't do, its that we are not allowed.

As americans we have the right to buy what we want from who we want which is why this is such a great country. I myself though still believe in the "Be American-Buy American"

Hooah? That is all....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
    All of the talk about foreign cars being made in the US and American cars else where is a bunch of BS. Granted the U.S does outsource some of its production. But thats not the point. The point is the end result where the money ends up. If you feel the need to bash the american made autos and buy foreign that is you choice. But keep in mind the end result where your money ends up. In a foreign country. Not here at home. Also the playing field is not even. We have allowed the japaneese auto makers to set up shop in our back yard, but we are not allowed to do the same in there country. It is a one way street in that regard. BTW I know that Ford at least has a very popular market segment in Europe. So its not like we couldn't do, its that we are not allowed.

As americans we have the right to buy what we want from who we want which is why this is such a great country. I myself though still believe in the "Be American-Buy American"

Hooah? That is all....
    See, I tend to agree with this.
    In the UK we have lost out British Car base to German and Far Eastern car builders. Our last car manufacturer, Rover, just went under and now the Far Eastern companies are fighting over the bones.

Support your own
    :clanram:

ButterCup8119 is offline Registered User

I live in an area where we get a fair amount of inclement weather in the winter, mostly ice. My car is never much help in thosee situations. But, my parents have a Four Runner that drives like a dream (even on the ice), gets decent (not great) gas mileage, and our chow dog loves to ride in it.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Well ,hope you dont end up like i did!......Went to buy a new or newer truck!..............and came home with a 01' Caddy DTS.......................i love it!.........tired of driving nothing but,trucks anyhow....................Oh by the way, My black lab Zoey loves it too!............Not as far for her to jump up into the backseat!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    I prefer GM / GMC. For the needs you've mentioned, perhaps a good look at Saturn's new VUE, a sharp, not-too-big and very efficient SUV would be well worth your time.

I hope this helps.
    Well Real Ram, this was the big winner. I bought a silver 2006 Vue with the chrome package. I could not resist. I got some beautiful new Mach1 chrome wheels for the mustang this summer and now I seem to be hooked on the chrome look. The Vue is sharp. The gauges are nice and it has wood trim. It should get close to 30 miles to the gallon on the highway.

It is going on its first real trip this weekend and I am happy to have a reliable vehicle to get me around. I am tired of playing mechanic.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12