Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RammieGirl is offline Registered User

Pet Peeves That Really Tick You Off!

I don't know about you guys but I have 2 things that really tick you off and that's being nice.

1) Why do businesses give numbers out like 1-555-4My-Cars? That's obviously an example but give me the FRICKEN NUMBER, ya know!! I don't want to have to go and look at my phone and look at the number underneath the letters.... GRRRRRRR

2) When I call a business with a question/concern all I want to do is talk to a HUMAN, is that too much to ask??? I get tired of pressing 3 for this and 6 for that and so on and then after all is said and done, I get disconnected. GRRRRRRRRR

Okay, my soapbox is now tucked away in my closet for awhile, lol, this happens to me all the time and I was wondering if you guys have similar encounters or other ones that you want to share.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pet Peeves That Really Tick You Off!

You have reached the AvengerRam automated thread response system.

For a serious response, please press 1.
    For a sarcastic response, please press 2.
    To speak with AvengerRam, please hold indefinitely.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    You have reached the AvengerRam automated thread response system.

For a serious response, please press 1.
    For a sarcastic response, please press 2.
    To speak with AvengerRam, please hold indefinitely.
    ooo oooo ooo pick me i want # 2 please btw my biggest pet peeve is when people use childish words the one i hate the most is the word SILLY! i hate it! i also cant stand when people smack their lips.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Using the term "Great" in connection with players that are not "One of the Greats".

Using the term "Hero" for every soldier killed in Iraq, fire fighter or cop, or whenever anyone overcomes adversity.

Everything being boiled down to Republican or Democrat, Red vs Blue, conservative vs liberal. How about doing what's right instead of avoiding what might make the other side look good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Pet Peeves. I'll have to limit myself, but here's some of them:

1. Commercials for feminine hygiene products on children's TV shows and sports events. Really, do they understand how many kids start asking questions long before a parent is ready to explain things? Or how these commercials are used as an excuse for a beer run and pit stop?

2. People who think every dog bite is caused by a 'Pit Bull', and that they are bred for killing. 98% of these people have no idea what a 'Pit Bull' looks like. To top it off, they think the American Staffordshire Terrier is the same thing. Well, they have everything wrong. More people are mauled by German Shepards than any other dog.

3. I have to be careful on this one. It's people who claim to live by a certain principle, yet do things clearly the opposite of said principle. It'd be like a sadistic doctor who takes the Hippocratic oath.

4. People who ride my rear bumper, pass me, and risk lives by driving 20 MPH over the limit just so they can sit and wait at the next red light while I quietly drive up behind them as the light changes.

5. People who think they know more about my job than I do. I've gone to years of school, attended training classes, subscribe to technical publications so I can stay current, I study the codes. I've got more than 20 years of experience. How can someone who doesn't understand how one leg of a 480 volt three-phase circuit is 277 volts or know what a mogul base LU-150 is know anything about my job?

6. My neighbors. There are at least 7 kids in the house, 5 pets, anywhere from 2 to 8 adults, and the police show up regularly. It wouldn't be so bad if someone over there worked. As it is, they order SteakOut and Domino's for the first two weeks of the month, then want to bum off of all the rest of the neighborhood until they get their next welfare check.

OK, I will now put up my soapbox.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16
    huh? what the...
    A mogul base LU-150 is a 150 watt sodium lamp with a large screw-in base.

The 480/277 reference is electrical, it has to do with 3 phase systems. Ask a shop teacher, they can explain it better than I can...it still makes me double think what I am doing.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Nice thread, RG. Particularly for the Off-season!

Here are two of my pet peeves.

1. People who have no regard at all for spelling. English is not my mother tongue (that is why I often must edit my posts, even after checking them a first time for spelling and syntax). Sorry for my unchecked erratum; I sometimes don't see it until weeks passed.

On the other hand, I highly appreciate a person's interest in reasonable grammar correctness and proper expression. To me, that reflects an effort towards integrity in communication, an idiosyncrasy, if you will.

Yes, I know this is only a 'Sports Forum*' and sometimes there really isn't time to check for these issues. That is not the main objective and besides, we usually do understand what was meant.

2. Using bad language or strong innuendoes either on TV, songs, forums, personal conversation, etc. Sure, "bad" is a relative term but I think we all know what it's all about: vulgar, uncouth, risqué. One need not be refined to be decent.

These used to "really tick me off" [BTW, I think this expression is much better, much nicer than 'PO'] ... but they do not drive me up the wall anymore. It is best to be considerate -- even compassionate -- towards others and, if possible and/or receptive, to try to help.

I know I need it! Thanks for your patience.

*.- One of the BEST amid independent NFL team forums.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

1. People chewing with there mouth open, nothing bothers the hell out of me more than a person chomping there food and listening to them eat crunchy food.

2. Ladies and Phones. You'd think they didn't like your or something because there on the phone all the time.

3. Sore losers, if you win fair and straight they get all pissed because they lost.

4. Looking at a Seahawk fan.
    RamsFan16

RF16, congrats on your 4K post! :up: I think you've done quite well, especially as a rookie.

Interesting pet peeve 1 of yours. I agree on the first part, although there is a difference between people "chewing with their mouth open" and a person chomping their food and listening to them eat crunchy food", as you put it.

I know what you mean. The thing is, it's hard not to do the latter. Eating crunchy cereal for example: even when one eats slowly -- again, difficult to do when hungry -- unless the cereal has been soaked for hours, it will, inevitably, cause the 'crunch' sound inside a closed, munching mouth. Pretzels, raw carrots, peanuts ... 'Bon Appetit'.

And we, you and I, probably produce the very same Captain Crunch effect. :O
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-04-2006 at 05:57 PM.

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Come on now, we're not all ugly...some of us are actually pretty cute.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    Come on now, we're not all ugly...some of us are actually pretty cute.
    Ok theres a few exceptions

I was just kidding, I couldn't think of another one, I usually never can until someone does it.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    RF16, congrats on your 4K post! :up: I think you've done quite well, especially as a rookie.

Interesting pet peeve 1 of yours. I agree on the first part, although there is a difference between people "chewing with their mouth open" and a person chomping their food and listening to them eat crunchy food", as you put it.

I know what you mean. The thing is, it's hard not to do the latter. Eating crunchy cereal for example: even when one eats slowly -- again, difficult to do when hungry -- unless the cereal has been soaked for hours, it will, inevitably, cause the 'crunch' sound inside a closed, munching mouth. Pretzels, raw carrots, peanuts ... 'Bon Appetit'.

And we, you and I, probably produce the very same Captain Crunch effect. :O
    Its fine if the food is naturally crunchy with there mouth closed but eating with it open and crunching it.
    RamsFan16

bigredman is offline Registered User

1. People chewing with there mouth open, nothing bothers the hell out of me more than a person chomping there food and listening to them eat crunchy food.
    OH my....you are so right on this one. I completely spaced on this. It is also my number one, although I'm more put off with the squishy sound of food and saliva being rolled around as one chews, although I hate the crunching of crispy food with an open mouth as well. Have you noticed how actors are the most likely to eat noisily? The more popular or successful the actor or actress, the more likely they eat, smacking and rolling the food around in their mouth for all the world to see. It's like listening to a cow walking through mud.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

2. Ladies and Phones. You'd think they didn't like your or something because there on the phone all the time.

3. Sore losers, if you win fair and straight they get all pissed because they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Durocher
    Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot.
    I live by what Leo Durocher said.
    Last edited by rams_fan81; -07-04-2006 at 07:40 PM.

...It's like listening to a cow walking through mud. -- BRM
    LOL

That reminds me of a little joke about 'chewing' ('comes from the very conservative followers of etiquette, I suppose):

Q. "What is the difference between a woman chewing gum and a cow chewing its cud?"

A. "The intelligent look on the cow's face."

Hey, I know that most ladies know how to do this decently. However, there are a few that, well...

hone: Okay, okay. Men too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast