Thread: Please Help!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Please Help!

I have a really big problem.....

I had this car that was a POS so I wanted to get rid of it and get a truck so I could haul stuff around. Well the only truck I could find in my very limited budget of 2000 was in Indiana which is 4 hours away...

Well I make it to IN and test drive the truck. It is in 4wd when I test drive it I am in a hurry so I didn't switch it 2wd. I buy the truck cause everything seems fine on it. I get out to the truck to put in 2wd and it just makes a grinding noise. The manager comes out and "helps" me and says that it wont drive in 2wd and that I have to drive in 4 High all the way home at this point I dont care and just drive off...

Well I get literally 20 miles down the road and it starts stuttering up hill (in a 4wd...) and I hear a grinding noise again. Well it officially wont move and the dealership said since it was a as is there is nothing they can do. So I am 4 hours away from home and have to have someone come pick me up.

I have the truck towed to the local transmission shop there and he says its the rear end. It either needs rebuilt or a new one cause its shot. So thats why it was in 4wd when I picked it up....

So now I am without a car or truck and my truck is 4 hours away from here.

My question is do I have a small court claim here? I mean I drove 4 hours away of course I asked them what was wrong with it and I did the same thing when I got there. At NO point was anything said about the rear end. I believe something like that would stick out in my mind.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please Help!

You should research whether Indiana has a "lemon law" and, if so, if it applies to used cars.

I thought the lemon law was only for repeated fixes to a problem

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I'm actually a finance manager at a multi billion dollar car dealership and know most of the time (depending on state laws of course) they have to disclose any issues with the you at time of sale. New Mexico has a 72 hour time window that any sale can be voided by the customer for any reason legally. See what your Indiana laws are for purchasing a vehicle. I can go to work tomorrow and see if I can find some info for you. When you contract (have them sign the Bill of Sale and financing and such) a customer, there is normally paperwork that the state makes it mandatory for you to sign as a customer with disclosers, notices and laws on what your rights are. Be in touch with you soon.

p.s. lemon laws can be applied to new and/or used cars depending on the state of purchase

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I'm sure you have something here man. If you don't, that would be messed up.

First, if you still had any warranty left from the manufacturer when you purchased your vehicle (or your vehicle was "Certified" by the manufacturer), and you made at least one unsuccessful warranty claim before the warranty ended, you may be entitled to compensation for breach of warranty. If not, your case may raise a whole host of issues which are beyond the scope of this "Frequently Asked Questions" section. However, you may be entitled to compensation for violations of various laws which you may not even be aware of. The following is a list of some of the problems and/or issues which may be present in your vehicle. Your vehicle may be/have a:
    1. Laundered lemon (or prior history of mechanical problems known to the seller);
    2. Salvaged or wrecked;
    3. Rolled back odometer;
    4. Rental car, police car, taxi, etc.;
    5. Stolen, stripped and rebuilt; and/or
    6. Involved in a flood
    If you are having problems with a used car that are not covered by a manufacturer's warranty or manufacturer's extended warranty, one or more of the following procedures may prove to be useful in discovering whether there is something about your vehicle that you were not told:
    1. Call 1-888-4-Car Fax;
    2. Do a Title Search;
    3. See a body shop mechanic to determine if your vehicle was wrecked;
    4. Have your Insurance Company run your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on their computer (may be called a C.L.U.E. report) to see if an accident claim was ever made with another insurance company; and/or
    5. Go to an authorized dealer and have them check the computer to see if it was wrecked or to let you know what the mileage was every time the vehicle was in for repair.

Again, your case may raise a whole host of issues which are beyond the scope of this "Frequently Asked Questions" section. However, there are many State and Federal laws to protect you which can be used to assist victims of fraudulent and deceptive sales practices. .

To make sure you don’t fall victim to any misinformation, call our FREE “60 Second Lemon Law Assessment"™ Hotline at 1-888-LEMONS-1 to speak with an experienced lemon law attorney who, once they obtain all the required information, will evaluate your case in 60 seconds or less

I only have info in store about lemon laws for new vehicles but this is what I found on the web about lemon laws for used vehicles that should provide to be useful in your state of purchase. You will hav esome leg work but I'm sure you might be able to do something here sj rules! any questions let me know

Thanks for the help guys. I decided not to pursue a lawsuit.

It was 700 bucks to fix it so with the 80 bucks for the fee and the gas money to go back and forth i doubt it would of been worth it.