Athletes Considering Taking Second Professional Athlete Job to Make Ends Meet

With the U.S. economy in shambles, Americans are scrambling for extra ways to make money in order to keep their homes and cars and to pay for health care and heat. Many, including professional athletes, are even taking second jobs.

“I am feeling the crunch like anyone else,” said Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens. “The price of gas is still high and I have seven Escalades, four Hummers, six Ferraris, a Lamborghini and a boat to fuel. I am just scraping by right now. I need more income.”

So Owens, and many athletes just like him, are considering taking a second pro athlete job.

“I might just have to play nights in the NBA,” he said. “It will be tough, I may only make $400,000 or $500,000, but anything will help right now. This is about survival.”

New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel says he is looking to restart his pitching career.

“I am worried about my job security,” he said. “Once Tom Brady gets back, I’m no longer the starter here. So it’s not like I have a big raise coming in the future. My wages aren’t going up. My only option is pitching in the majors. If I can clear an extra million or two there a season, I will start to breathe a little easier.”

A current pitcher, Atlanta Braves ace John Smoltz, says a pro golf career is his emergency plan.

“Is my game good enough right now for the PGA?” said Smoltz. “Probably not. But it’s amazing what the pressure of having a family to feed the finest foods money can buy can do for you. And, if I can’t make it on the PGA Tour, I’ll swallow my pride and play in celebrity golf events. The purses are only five and six figures, but it’s okay if my kids only eat at four-star restaurants from time to time to see how the other half lives.”

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates, a former forward at Kent State, says he is worried he won’t be able to get a job in the NBA.

“I can’t just assume I’ll get a job there,” he said. “They may not want to sign me. I may be reduced to signing my name at autograph shows for $200 a pop. That’s no way to live. But I may not have a choice.”