throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Question for Dez or BRM ??

We just finished watching a rather long BBC series entitled: "Monarch of the Glen." Several of the male characters wore kilts on a regular basis with an acoutrement in the form of a small leather pouch strapped around the waist in the front .. My question is: What the heck is that thing? Is it like a purse or something? Don't kilts have pockets? We never saw any of the characters actually taking anything out or putting something in, so over time we wondered why they even bothered to wear the things. If in answering this question one cannot resist the opportunity to post a ribald comment, please at least answer the question as well ... Thanks in advance!

Re: Question for Dez or BRM ??

its called a sporran, its used to hold yer money and there are no pockets in a kilt

Filte! | Original Scottish Sporrans | Scottish gifts, kilts and accessories

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Thanks Dez for answering that! Was "Monarch of the Glen" popular in Scotland? The other thing we wondered about was whether the Glen Bogle castle was real or just a movie creation .. rather amazing if it is real ...

Glen Bogle Castle is in fact Ardverikie House, on the shores of Loch Laggan, some sixteen miles south west of Newtonmore. The house and grounds are private, and although access on foot to the wild landscapes of Scotland is permitted, it is not possible, except for one day per year, when the grounds are open under Scotland's garden scheme, to take your car along the private estate road to the house. Ardverikie can, however, be seen very well from the main A86 road from Newtonmore to Spean Bridge on the other side of the Loch - just look out through the trees for the view of the house opening up, then stop (off the road, please) and scramble down through the trees to the loch side for an uninterrupted view - and an excellent photograph with a telephoto lens.

The Cast and crew of the production live in the area from April to the end of September, with many of the stars located here in Newtonmore, and others in neighbouring Kingussie.

Many locations in Newtonmore have been used in filming the series - see the Glen Bogle downloads link below for a downloadable map of locations around Newtonmore that have featured - as well as some other goodies for all you boglies out there.

Newtonmore artist David Fallows has also, for the past six years, painted the watercolours which have appeared on set as 'Molly's' (Susan Hampshire), whilst many Newtonmore people have made appearances as extras, and many of the cast can often be seen around the Badenoch villages of Laggan, Newtonmore and Kingussie, quite apart from any location filming that might be under way when you are here.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Glen Bogle Castle is in fact Ardverikie House, on the shores of Loch Laggan, some sixteen miles south west of Newtonmore. The house and grounds are private, and although access on foot to the wild landscapes of Scotland is permitted, it is not possible, except for one day per year, when the grounds are open under Scotland's garden scheme, to take your car along the private estate road to the house. Ardverikie can, however, be seen very well from the main A86 road from Newtonmore to Spean Bridge on the other side of the Loch - just look out through the trees for the view of the house opening up, then stop (off the road, please) and scramble down through the trees to the loch side for an uninterrupted view - and an excellent photograph with a telephoto lens.

The Cast and crew of the production live in the area from April to the end of September, with many of the stars located here in Newtonmore, and others in neighbouring Kingussie.

Many locations in Newtonmore have been used in filming the series - see the Glen Bogle downloads link below for a downloadable map of locations around Newtonmore that have featured - as well as some other goodies for all you boglies out there.

Newtonmore artist David Fallows has also, for the past six years, painted the watercolours which have appeared on set as 'Molly's' (Susan Hampshire), whilst many Newtonmore people have made appearances as extras, and many of the cast can often be seen around the Badenoch villages of Laggan, Newtonmore and Kingussie, quite apart from any location filming that might be under way when you are here.
    Dez, one of these days, when I win the powerball jackpot, I'm going to hire you to be my tour guide so I can learn more about my family's history. You seem like you know your history quite well.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Sam is right Dez, you definitely have the makings of a great tour guide, and may I add that you could also do very well writing copy for print or narration. Nice post!

bigredman Guest

While the Scots may use it as some kind of man purse to carry their money and such...we Irish use it to carry our flask and propholatics. Aye, you can visit the Scottish countryside and their castles and homes of the English Lords, or you can come with me and see the Irish homeland the only way a man can visit her...pub by pub!

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Sam is right Dez, you definitely have the makings of a great tour guide, and may I add that you could also do very well writing copy for print or narration. Nice post!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    While the Scots may use it as some kind of man purse to carry their money and such...we Irish use it to carry our flask and propholatics. Aye, you can visit the Scottish countryside and their castles and homes of the English Lords, or you can come with me and see the Irish homeland the only way a man can visit her...pub by pub!
    I'll be in Kerry in 3 weeks visiting the in-laws.

As far as kilts and sporrans go, my late grandafther could rarely be persuaded to step into his kilt (Mackay) even in the event of big family events.

The only pictorial evidence I have sees the big man resplendent in the full rig, jacketed kilted and booted but without the sporran.

In its place he had substituted a bright orange long-handled toilet brush.