MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Question for Missouri Parents and Teachers

I really need to get something off my chest, and pose a few serious questions.

I stood outside with my Kindergartener for almost 30 minutes in below freezing temperatures (20 actual degrees, 14 degree wind chill) this morning, in front of the school she attends. Now, when it comes time for recess, if the wind chill is below 32 degrees, the kids are kept inside. WHY THE HELL-O NOT LET THEM IN WHEN IT IS WAY COLDER THAN THAT?????

1. Why do the teachers and school administrators keep the kids out in the cold while THEY get to be inside where it is warm?

I asked the school principal this morning, and she said that none of them had to be there until 7:30. This did not fly with me because I have NEVER seen any of them arrive that late. 90% of them are there by 7:00. She also told me that it would be unfair to the teachers to have to work that extra time. I then informed her that 30minutes a day is hardly work, especially when they are not HOURLY employees. She then starts whining about how 30 minutes would end up leading to an hour and longer, and that is why we have a program called "Prime Time".

This was intriguing to me, and I'll tell ya why. Your typical day care center in the town I live in charges around $150 a week nowadays. Let us assume that a child is there about 10 hours per day, 5 days per week. This calculates to be about $3.00 per hour. Enter "Prime Time". It costs $55 a week. Let's say you only need your child to be there for 30 minutes before school, 5 days a week. That comes out to $20.00 per hour! Yeah, great idea.....NOT!

It all boils down to their convenience outweighing the welfare of the kids. Leave them out in the cold so they can be at risk for frostbite, hypothermia, exposure, and goodness knows what else just so they don't have to take an aspirin for a headache from being around them for 30 dad gum minutes!

2. The first time the early morning temperatures got below freezing, Pa asked the same questions I did. The response he was given was that there were security issues involved. Let me ask this....WHAT?

Sure, let them in so little 5-year-old Apu Hassamapedapetamalon (sp?) (You know, the KwikEMart guy from the Simpsons) can go in and blow himself up. RIIIIIIIIGHT. I can think of a HUGE reason not to lock them out. Not all sex offenders are going to follow the conditions of their probation and parole 100% of the time. Locking them outside without proper supervision gives these sickos primo opportunity to offend. You leave the kids vulnerable to abduction or worse.

Kids can also hurt themselves or each other playing outside without supervision. They can also end up taking these activities out into the streets, where a car can hit them.

Missouri parents:

Does your school do this?

Missouri teachers:

WHY? I need a GOOD reason, not just an excuse this time.

I am preparing a good case to take to the school board, and the State Attorney's Office if I have to, because these people are guilty of Endangering the Welfare of Children.

Sorry, y'all, I am MEGA PISSED! I did this not only to vent, but also to gather information to see how many districts are doing this.
    Last edited by MOM; -11-30-2005 at 11:42 AM.

[SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Milan is offline Registered User

Re: Question for Missouri Parents and Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by MOM
    I really need to get something off my chest, and pose a few serious questions.

I stood outside with my Kindergartener for almost 30 minutes in below freezing temperatures (20 actual degrees, 14 degree wind chill) this morning, in front of the school she attends. Now, when it comes time for recess, if the wind chill is below 32 degrees, the kids are kept inside. WHY THE HELL-O NOT LET THEM IN WHEN IT IS WAY COLDER THAN THAT?????

1. Why do the teachers and school administrators keep the kids out in the cold while THEY get to be inside where it is warm?

I asked the school principal this morning, and she said that none of them had to be there until 7:30. This did not fly with me because I have NEVER seen any of them arrive that late. 90% of them are there by 7:00. She also told me that it would be unfair to the teachers to have to work that extra time. I then informed her that 30minutes a day is hardly work, especially when they are not HOURLY employees. She then starts whining about how 30 minutes would end up leading to an hour and longer, and that is why we have a program called "Prime Time".

This was intriguing to me, and I'll tell ya why. Your typical day care center in the town I live in charges around $150 a week nowadays. Let us assume that a child is there about 10 hours per day, 5 days per week. This calculates to be about $3.00 per hour. Enter "Prime Time". It costs $55 a week. Let's say you only need your child to be there for 30 minutes before school, 5 days a week. That comes out to $20.00 per hour! Yeah, great idea.....NOT!

It all boils down to their convenience outweighing the welfare of the kids. Leave them out in the cold so they can be at risk for frostbite, hypothermia, exposure, and goodness knows what else just so they don't have to take an aspirin for a headache from being around them for 30 dad gum minutes!

2. The first time the early morning temperatures got below freezing, Pa asked the same questions I did. The response he was given was that there were security issues involved. Let me ask this....WHAT?

Sure, let them in so little 5-year-old Apu Hassamapedapetamalon (sp?) (You know, the KwikEMart guy from the Simpsons) can go in and blow himself up. RIIIIIIIIGHT. I can think of a HUGE reason not to lock them out. Not all sex offenders are going to follow the conditions of their probation and parole 100% of the time. Locking them outside without proper supervision gives these sickos primo opportunity to offend. You leave the kids vulnerable to abduction or worse.

Kids can also hurt themselves or each other playing outside without supervision. They can also end up taking these activities out into the streets, where a car can hit them.

Missouri parents:

Does your school do this?

Missouri teachers:

WHY? I need a GOOD reason, not just an excuse this time.

I am preparing a good case to take to the school board, and the State Attorney's Office if I have to, because these people are guilty of Endangering the Welfare of Children.

Sorry, y'all, I am MEGA PISSED! I did this not only to vent, but also to gather information to see how many districts are doing this.
    That response from the principal was bull...

30 minutes of your day is nothing. Work won't kill you, and plus its 30 minutes with kindergarteners. Honestly, 30 minutes in a class where you barely teach anything isn't considered work, you give the kids work and they do it. Now I never went to kindergarten (War in the country I'm from) So I don't know how it works, but I assume it's just, giving them some fingerpainting work and you sitting in your desk and supervising.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Now I never went to kindergarten (War in the country I'm from) So I don't know how it works, but I assume it's just, giving them some fingerpainting work and you sitting in your desk and supervising.
    It's very similar to being a labor & employment attorney in Florida.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

itz even colder here in toronto
    so dont complain

Milan is offline Registered User

Oh yeah, over here it's already reached -20 C. Then there's the Windchill.
    Last edited by Milan; -12-10-2005 at 03:23 PM.