thoey is offline Registered User

Question on an Unordered Delivery

Last week there was a knock at the door and when I opened it, there was FedEx with a Dell box for me to sign for. I knew that we had not ordered anything, so I verified the name and address and it was correct. I signed for it, and then looked at the shipping document. It was addressed to my wife at our home address. The last four of the Credit Card do not match any cards that we have. Contacted external family and no one sent a surprise gift.

Now, being a nice guy, I called Dell. Talked to "Peter". Finally got down to that they would have FedEx come out and return it to Dell and they would figure out the problem. Well, they were supposed to pick it up yesterday. No FedEx.
    So, the question is, how long do I have to wait until I can just say thanks and start playing with my free toy?

Link goes to the laptop in question:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...nb_m170?c=us&c s=19&l=en&s=dhs

This space for rent...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question on an Unordered Delivery

There are laws that address these types of issues, but they can vary from State-to-State. Not sure what the answer would be in Texas. You may want to ask a local attorney.

Thanks AR. If it comes to that, I will. I think that by calling Dell right off the bat, you can see what my initial mindset is. I didn't order it, someone else did, they are losing out and the company is losing out.

But the longer that box sits there...
    This space for rent...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You could always go talk to Mr. Dell himself. His is the largest house in Austin.

Chiledog is offline Registered User

So THAT"S where my computer ended up!?!
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chiledog
    So THAT"S where my computer ended up!?!
    I can see how they would mix up the addresses. I mean Chile and Texas are so close. LOL
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

UPDATE: Laptop picked up and back in possession of Dell. Credit card creditted back. Name on the card is my wife's name. In the process of going through credit report and trying to figure out which card it was charged to. No fun.

FYI: For a free credit report, check out:

www.annualcreditreport.com.

I was able (in the U.S.) to pull a report for each of us from all the BIG 3 bureau's.
    This space for rent...

UPDATE: Okay, now Dell, says that it has not been received yet, but they show it was picked up.

We went through both of our credit reports. I had several cards in my wallet that I don't use due to interest rates (Sears, Home Depot, etc) that I cancelled.

Now, the wife. her idea of cancelling a credit card is to pay it off, cut up the card and forget about it. She had existing credit from ten years ago. Started calling all of them when we came across one that had a recent purchase from Dell for about $2700...

O.O

Definitely got that account locked down. They are sending us a Security form to fight the charges. Fun, fun...
    This space for rent...

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    UPDATE: Okay, now Dell, says that it has not been received yet, but they show it was picked up.

We went through both of our credit reports. I had several cards in my wallet that I don't use due to interest rates (Sears, Home Depot, etc) that I cancelled.

Now, the wife. her idea of cancelling a credit card is to pay it off, cut up the card and forget about it. She had existing credit from ten years ago. Started calling all of them when we came across one that had a recent purchase from Dell for about $2700...

O.O

Definitely got that account locked down. They are sending us a Security form to fight the charges. Fun, fun...
    FYI. Be careful with what and how you throw things away. ESPECIALLY credit card bills and even applications. You should shred those items. It's amazing how many people get ripped off. You're lucky. The computer actually made it to you.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!