Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Randy (BigRedMan) Update

Randy is out of the hospital. Very tired and weak. Becky has been doing his CarePages update the last few days.

You can sign-up on carePaes to post messages to Randy: http://www.carepages.com/carepages/bigredman

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keenum is offline Registered User

Update from Randy himself:

Hi everyone. Well last week was an adventure. I woke up with my bedroom full of fireman (which would have been great if I were having a homo-erotic dream). I had a fever of over 104 and was jibber jabbing. Spent 14 hours in the emergency room and then 8 days being bled and pumped full of super power antibiotics. I kept going from high fever to sub temperature where I was shivering so violently, I felt I would fall apart. I'm very weak. Sleeping a lot. Will try and get walking around here soon to build up my strength. I had a great visit by my friend Josh from Bakersfield, CA. Sorry we weren't able to do anything Josh, but he was a great help and company to Becky which was much appreciated.

Randy also has a picture up of Philip, his youngest son, and his Airman First Class Stripes. Check it out when you get a shot!

Pain got worse recently and sounds like it's really frustrating him. Drop by and give him some encouragement!
    From Randy earlier today:

Pain really bad last night and today. Upped my patches to 350 and taking both neuropathy and 400 breakthrough oral morphine on regular basis. This is no way to live.

He posted this one late last night. Once again our Big Red Man is bouncing back!

Pain not as bad yesterday and tonight. In fact, I had one of the best night's sleep the night before in some time. Just got up to have a drink of water and wanted to post something to ease your minds. Thanks for all your words of encouragement. It really helps. My life is like a roller coaster with the good and bad days. Feeling much better. Hope to see the doctor soon so I can get back on chemo and fight this cancer of mine. Have a high school buddy of mine coming out on the 15th. It's been awhile since I've seen Keith. We were very close friends back in 4th through 10th grade. We played a lot of basketball, baseball, and tennis. Oh yes, ping pong to all hours of the night in his garage too.

And Randy keeps surprising the doctors. Check out his last sentence in this update. The bigredman doesn't go down without a fight!

Judy - I shall rectify the injustice bestowed upon you my sweet maiden! Saw the oncologist today. Going to start me on a new therapy starting tomorrow. It comes in pill form which has to be crushed and mixed with water then injected into my feed tube. Once every three weeks I get another chemo drug that is very strong by IV at the clinic. I get that next Tuesday. My doctor mentioned that she has never seen a pancreatic cancer patient live more than six months from diagnosis and she's amazed that I'm going so strong after a year.

A few more updates from Randy throughout today:

My childhood friend Keith came to visit last night. Drove down
    from Albuquerque yesterday afternoon. He only stayed for a couple
    of hours because he had an early flight the next morning to catch,
    but it was great seeing him.

Took my chemo pills for the first time at 8:30 this morning and
    I've been out of it ever since. Feel very ill. No energy and very
    tired. Slept most of the day. I'm so sorry for not making the
    office Christmas Party today. I was so looking forward to that.
    Seems like everytime I have a commitment to be somewhere, I let my
    friends and family down. I'm so sorry.

Update for today. Sounds like Randy is doing OK. He mentions his son as well, who I can tell from his last few posts he is very proud of:

Got a message from my youngest son in the Air Force. He received academic achievement honors for obtaining grades at the top of his class for training he's going through repairing fighter jets (he works on the electronics and hydrolics throughout the body of the jets, everything but the engines. Mostly the stuff that fire the weapons and systems that navigate and make the jet manuever and fly) We're very proud of him. It's amazing how he has taken to this. Thanks to everyone about my feeling guilty for not attending events. I understand what you all are saying, however, I can't help but feeling the way I do. I always prided myself for being dependable and lately I feel that I've been all but dependable. I guess I just want to let you all know I don't take such things or you for granted. I'm still feeling ill from the chemo. Hopefully these side effects will subside and I'll build a tolerance for the stuff.

Posted yesterday afternoon:

Had a great visit from my brother Gregg this weekend. I appreciate him driving all the way out from Houston to El Paso to see me. Really lifted my spirits. It was also nice of him to help out with some of the things that needed done around here that I can't do anymore. We didn't have him climb any trees though. Don't want him breaking any wrists! (inside joke from when he helped out at my Dad's house) Starting to get use to this chemo I have to take everyday. It seems to take me less and less time each day to get over the side effects and I'm able to do things. Pain is still an issue though. Increasing patch strength seems to make me sick, and I'm having to take oral disolving breakthrough pain med more often.

Truth is offline Registered User

Randy just posted:

Got back from the doctor. I'm stopping the chemo for good. There's no guarantee that it will keep the cancer from spreading at this point and it's causing me too much pain and illness. Will be contacting a Hospice to help me through my remaining days. I tried.

Your my hero Randy!!
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Everyone that can head over to carepages and let Randy know his ClanRam brothers are standing with him.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Randy is a hero to me, as well. I hate not being able to do a damn thing to help Randy overcome this.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Randy just posted:

Got back from the doctor. I'm stopping the chemo for good. There's no guarantee that it will keep the cancer from spreading at this point and it's causing me too much pain and illness. Will be contacting a Hospice to help me through my remaining days. I tried.

Your my hero Randy!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Very hard to hear the bad news.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

makersncoke is offline Registered User

God bless you big man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I'm sorry to hear the news, Randy is a hero and a true inspiration.

thoey is offline Registered User

Wishing Randy and his family all the strength in the world. Tis the season for miracles... I'll pray for one.
    This space for rent...