Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Re: A Red/Blue Survey To Prove We're (Mostly) All Purple

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I guess you missed the part where I said I didn't want to discuss the individual issues. My point is simply that the notion that people can be divided into strict "conservative" or "liberal" camps is misguided. I believe that this is a failing of both political parties.
    I didn't miss that at all. I did not discuss the merits of the issues, only stating the facts that informed, serious liberals and conservatives can be on different sides of an issue without being less liberal or conservative. I had to provide examples.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Basically, I think we should eliminate the parties.

You raise some good points. Parties, of course came into existence (despite Washington's distaste for them) almost immediately. It also led to the need to drop the rule about the presidential runner up being vice-president. (Could you imagine Bush having to deal with Kerry for Vice President? Or George the elder being demoted after his first term? Or Lyndon Johnson having to Barry Goldwater near the nuclear football?)

Before the end of the 18th century, the Federalist and Democratic-Republicans (forerunners of the modern Democrat party) dominated. In fact, the Federalist Supreme Court held sway for years after the Federalists themselves faded badly.

However, it would be impossible to outlaw political parties without doing violence to "Freedom of Speech" (which was always supposed to be applied first and foremost to POLITICAL speech, which is what parties are supposed to be about) and "Freedom of Association".

What we have today practically enshrines the parties. We could simply WITHHOLD LEGAL RECOGNITION of parties without making them illegal. Basically, every election would be like the California recall election (although perhaps with a higher threshold of signatures to get on the ballot). All the names would be on the ballot with neither an R nor a D beside them in random order. That would force people to either read up on the candidates, or they might possibly guess or look for a favored sex or ethnicity in some of the lower positions on the ballot (a nut job Larouchie got the Democrats Lt. Gov nomination in Illinois years ago that way.)

This would also do away with the primary system. However, you might want to have run-offs in order that the winning candidates get a solid majority of the vote. This would be similar to Louisiana's "jungle primary" which generally sports multile members of both parties.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Other than HUbison and SFC (who, BTW, came out ALL red and just happen to live in a town called Republic! Conspiracy?)
    Let's just say, those of us in Republic had a bad run-in with the ACLU a few years back.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Let's just say, those of us in Republic had a bad run-in with the ACLU a few years back.
    Yeah....I remember. Someone should have told the ACLU that the fish was representing Bass Pro's connection to the city.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    ACLU = Anti-Christian Lawyers Unite

Yeah....I remember. Someone should have told the ACLU that the fish was representing Bass Pro's connection to the city.
    Long live the fish! We can't help it if we are right in Republic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123