Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

should marijuana be legalized?

Continuing the trend towards provacative off season debate, your views on whether marijuana should be legalized. I am not referring to nate newton like quantities (over 400 pounds in his possession), but rather personal consumption.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: should marijuana be legalized?

Yes, on the basis that I've never seen anyone start a bar fight after a couple of tokes whereas one sniff of the barmaids apron is enough for some.

Milan is offline Registered User

It doesn't matter to me, I don't use it, and if you don't legalize, people are just going to find a way to get it.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

milan, i second what you have said.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

HELL NO. Today's pot is not your Woodstock run of the mill weed. I do not want another substance, just like alcohol and tobacco, that will make health care costs continue to rise because people have the choice to poison their body and degrade their health...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

SFC, i assume from your post that you believe that increased tax revenue wouldnt offset increased health costs, based on an assumption that if it was legal, more people would smoke pot. would some of those new pot smokers be prior cigarette smokers? Do you believe that legalization would result in a statisticaly significant group of non smokers taking up the habbit? I am open minded on this. The multi billion dollar underground economy drives me crazy, it is unregulated, untaxed etc. After soybeans, i believe weed is this countrys #2 cash crop.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Milan is offline Registered User

A lot of my pothead friends say that Weed is healthier then cigarettes, because it's natural and isn't loaded up with chemicals...Not sure if it's healthier, and I don't trust them because ...well they're all pretty much idiots.

Go to Amsterdam and see the "beauty, intelligence and compassion" of legalization and the taxation of drugs. Junkies passed out every where. Needles littering the parks, so much so, that you can't walk barefoot in the park or even go there. More teens are in rehab for pot today than any other drug. Go to Canada and see how their pot laws are working. Hell, the strongest pot is coming from BC. This stuff is strong; THC levels as high as 10-35%!! It is much more powerful and often laced with Formaldehyde and PCP. Besides, it is a gateway drug.

I have an unusual secondary duty in the military. I am dead set against it because I see it on a weekly basis. I also have a few family members in big health or legal troubles from drugs. It is not just Hippie Lettuce anymore. They call it chronic for a reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Powerful and convincing argument sfc. Plenty of food for thought there.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The History Channel recently aired a series of programs concerning the use of drugs in the past. Something that I found to be interesting was the fact that almost every currently illegal drug was commonly available and acceptable one hundred years ago. The reasons the drugs are now illegal is mainly racial prejudice. The Mexicans smoked pot, then went crazy on a raping, killing, and stealing rampage, so marijuana was prohibited. Cocaine supposedly caused black men to rape white women, so it was prohibited.
    But, to answer your question: No. Medical studies have proven that long-term use is detrimental to one's health. Not only that, but I have seen people trying to drive when they are stoned. It isn't pretty.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Ya I can remember back in the day i smoked,and one of my fondest memories was sitting at a stop sign waiting for it to turn green.

It also takes away the romance of it.

I am against it though.Much for the same reason SFC is.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    The History Channel recently aired a series of programs concerning the use of drugs in the past. Something that I found to be interesting was the fact that almost every currently illegal drug was commonly available and acceptable one hundred years ago. The reasons the drugs are now illegal is mainly racial prejudice. The Mexicans smoked pot, then went crazy on a raping, killing, and stealing rampage, so marijuana was prohibited. Cocaine supposedly caused black men to rape white women, so it was prohibited.
    But, to answer your question: No. Medical studies have proven that long-term use is detrimental to one's health. Not only that, but I have seen people trying to drive when they are stoned. It isn't pretty.
    I have that series on tape and know what you are talking about. The original reasons for the criminalization of drugs was very racial. However, scientific studies have shown that the decision for criminalization was sound in principal. It is just a shame that the origins are based upon racial bias. It tends to taint the decision somewhat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

No. Period. I know I have alot of friends who smoke it well the county I live in is like the 2nd biggest drug county in the nation. But I don't smoke Marijuana, I don't smoke cigerates, or smoke cigars and also don't drink alchohol so I don't think it should be legalized but if I did smoke I might have a diffrent view on it.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    No. Period. I know I have alot of friends who smoke it well the county I live in is like the 2nd biggest drug county in the nation. But I don't smoke Marijuana, I don't smoke cigerates, or smoke cigars and also don't drink alchohol so I don't think it should be legalized but if I did smoke I might have a diffrent view on it.
    Stay smart. You seem to have your head on straight and that is good. The later in life that you pick up smoking or drinking, the less of an addiction or problem that it will be for you throughout your life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    Stay smart. You seem to have your head on straight and that is good. The later in life that you pick up smoking or drinking, the less of an addiction or problem that it will be for you throughout your life.
    You got that right SFC.

I support legalisation of Marijuana from the viewpoint of social cost,control and taxation. I personally wouldn't touch it now, although like many others I did at university (I did inhale). It's hard to support the continued criminalisation of Marijuana, when the social costs of alcohol abuse have been well understood for a long time now.

Pick your poison.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -02-01-2006 at 01:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast