Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Masspatsfan12 is offline Registered User

slightly off topic

I know this is alittle bit off topic, I am a football fan and I am planning on getting engaged, and married down the road. Any advice from the guys/girls that are married. I am planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me in a month.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: slightly off topic

Take a good long look at her mom.....cause that's her in a few years.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Well, before I can really dispense any advice, we need to know:

1. How long have you known her, and how long have you been together?
    2. Do you live together yet? If so, how long?
    3. Is this the one you can't even fathom living without?

The reason I ask these questions is this....

1. I knew my ex-hubby for almost 4 years before I married him. I had dated him the summer before I started high school, broke up with him a few months later, and we rekindled things a few years after that. We got married when I was 18, and everything went to s$$t soon after. I think maybe if we had lived together longer we could have saved ourselves a lot of trouble.

2. Speaking of living together longer.....I always recommend living together for at least 6 months before any rings go on fingers. It's one thing to know what someone is like in public, another to know someone behind closed door for a few hours a night (if you're lucky), but it another to know how things are on an everyday basis. You'll find out your partner's at-home habits and quirks, and you'll find out after 6 months if you like waking up next to them day after day. It's a huge step, and this makes the transition easier for both of you.

3. I heard an elderly woman say once that you should never marry someone you can live with, but instead, marry the one you can't live without. Never settle for anything but the best.

Best of luck to ya, hope everything goes well!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Take a good long look at her mom.....cause that's her in a few years.
    And have her look at your dad......lol
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Speaking of living together longer.....I always recommend living together for at least 6 months before any rings go on fingers
    Being the social conservative that I am, I will have to disagree with Mom on this one, but I will concur with the concept that you need to take some time by yourself and seriously consider if this is the one person you want to spend the rest of your life with, share and raise children with, grow old with, be a best friend with, etc.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I see marriage as something that is done once. I'm all about the "til death do us part" thing, and with that, I say....take your time, and make sure this is exactly what and who you want.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I was engaged to my wife 10 weeks after we met. We've been married for 12+ years.

A blueprint I'd recommend everyone follow? No. There really is no blueprint.

When you know, you know.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

As I have been married and divorced three times, I feel uniquely qualified to give advice.
    Do not get married if you expect the girl to change in some way. If she's buying expensive clothes now, she's not going to shop at Wal-Mart after you get married. If she's a lousy cook, plan on eating out a lot.
    Also, two cannot live as cheaply as one. Plan on spending four times as much after you are married.
    That being said, if you are sure this is the right girl for you, enjoy it. I recommend the blue & gold color scheme for the wedding...it looks really classy next to all the white.

I recommend the blue & gold color scheme for the wedding...it looks really classy next to all the white.
    But remember, Sam, this young man is a Pats fan so he will probably opt for the red, blue & silver. :O

nope actually my girlfriend is opting toward a blue color. I'm not really concerned with the actual colors in the wedding my big thing is my marriage proposal that I have planned. I am going to a lighthouse and ask her to marry me. I think this is unique, and it really hasn't been done that much. I have been planning on the marriage proposal for that bit of a long time. All I have to do now is to write a speech something that comes from the heart. You see I am a romantic so I am using the ocean as the symbol of the elements that will be thrown against us in our lives together as well as the unusual things that will be thrown against us. I am using the sand as a symbol of rejuvination. I am just curious what you all think of this. I may be a pats fan but I think in all circumstances aside we're all romantics in us, just some don't show it as easily or still feel that way anymore.

oh and to answer your question we have been together for almost two years. We haven't lived together just yet, we just don't believe in that till we get married. This is a woman that I can't live without, she is my soulmate. I have taken the road less traveled I have seen how the other half lives, I have seen the other side of the grass, and you know something it isn't always greener. Oh and her mom well, her biological one looks like her, but I have always believed in the saying it doesn't matter what is on the outside that counts but what is in the inside that counts as well. I know that it is early in the morning, to be this deep but this is how I feel for this person. I am under no illusions that things will ever and always be rosy but as long as two people remember why they are together in the first place and don't have unusual expectations they will be okay.

oh and room just for a side piece of information my ex's grandfather is a rams fan.

Here's what I suggest.

Put her in an empty room with an 8x10 framed photo of you in one corner, and an 8/10 framed photo of Tom Brady in the other. See which one she goes to. If she goes to yours, marry her.

lmao, she can't stand tom brady actually. She's more partial to Mel Gibson lol

Well, if she runs to a Mel Gibson photo, definitely reconsider!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

If Shes Going To Watch The Game On Sunday With You Then She Is Good To Go.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast