Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Milan is offline Registered User

Re: South Park vs. Scientology

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    I think Fat Pang should explain it since he seems to feel strongly about it. Perhaps he can tone the vocabulary down a tad, so that the non-english majors can comprehend it.

All I know is that it sounds like a cult and some rich and famous hollywood types are into it.

I can't understand FP.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I think Fat Pang should explain it since he seems to feel strongly about it. Perhaps he can tone the vocabulary down a tad, so that the non-english majors can comprehend it.

All I know is that it sounds like a cult and some rich and famous hollywood types are into it.
    Suitably stung by the acerbic reproof, I shall attempt to clarify my position.

Scientology is a suite of practices which are almost meditational in nature which seek to purge or rid the mind of impurity and impediment. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but the founder of the 'religion' L Ron Hubbard, a third-rate novelist also wrapped it in a cloak of semi-mystical mumbo jumbo along with the 'invention' of some rather bizarre tools and devices.

AR is right in saying that Hubbard himself never considered it a religion, at least not publicly, and I've seen quotes where he dismisses it as just an idea he had.

However, it's turned into something a bit more cultish than that and it's very hard to turn away from it once it's appeal turns sour.

In other words, it's total bollocks made up by a third rate novelist that's been taken over by a bunch of sinister hucksters and made to prey on the weak and vulnerable in society.

South Park is the best forum for it because it deserves to be laughed at and treated for what it is.

How's that for clarity?

I'm not an English Major either, my academics were more in the legal line.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

We have a 14 year old asking the question. Vocabulary takes time to build up and not everyone here has a broad base to work with. I was just trying to get you to speak so that everyone could understand.

So I guess I am understanding that scientology is some sort of advanced evil yoga concept. What are the "bizzare tools and devices"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

We have a 14 year old asking the question. Vocabulary takes time to build up and not everyone here has a broad base to work with. I was just trying to get you to speak so that everyone could understand.

So I guess I am understanding that scientology is some sort of advanced evil yoga concept. What are the "bizzare tools and devices"?
    Well, I seem to remember that there was a device that looked like a Van de Graaf generator (Not the rock band) with a large mirorred ball and a silver tube sticking out of it that was meant to do something to calm your mind.

I had an admission interview at University once where I had to speak about Scientology, and that's where I picked up what little knowledge I have.

As well as that they used to have an office at the bottom of Tottenham Court Road in London, Goldenfleece could tell you if it's still there as he lives not far from there as I understand, and it used to attract protestors every once in a while, and you'd see them detailing such devices and warning people off Scientology.

The other thing that's just crossed my mind that pertains to the 'evil yoga' thing, is that I believe that, like Buddhism, scientology asks that you put yourself in the hands of a more experienced practitioner or 'guru'. From a Buddhist point of view this is considered important because if you choose your guru wisely, then you are putting yourself closer to the literal word of the Buddha and you will be using the knowledge of someone who can offer you a much more interactive teaching that is more tailored to your needs. Much better than just reading from a book.

There obviously has to be a large amount of trust involved in any relationship like that, and you have to be extremely sure of the motivation of such a person. It also, depending on the teaching, gives you fair scope for abuse or development of control. The abuse of this relationship in order to practice control is a criticism that has often been levelled at Scientology.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -03-27-2006 at 12:47 AM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

large mirrored balls with tubes sticking out of them don't sound calming to me....:O

The whole thing sounds freaky and controlling. I don't see the appeal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    wow how did I miss this thread? I search the forums all the time. I guess better late than never. I don't see how a "religion" that involves aliens and volcanoes and how when Volcanoes erupt that means that the scientology "Lord" (don't know his/Her/It's Name) is upset, can be taken seriously. this is probably the best scam in modern history, and now one mans twisted ideas have made him rich. sorry if I Offend anyone, But I always got a Kick out of "Scientologists"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12