Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The 'special' relationship.............

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    I think its very important that england and the U.S. stay close..
    Like I said, most people from Ohio have no clue about an Atlas.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    I think its very important that england and the U.S. stay close.Tied by a lot of common ground,our relationship has suffered with Europe because our refusal to join the Kyoto protocal (wich is failing miseably)Tony Blair is starting to wake up to it,and he knows its an economy killing treaty.
    I think it is important the two stay close, but last I checked Blair was still a staunch supporter of Kyoto. In fact, he set far more ambitious goals for the UK. Last I checked they were still on track to meet the Kyoto targets but were failing to meet the goals Blair had set. The British government is however I believe gaining more respect for our position that environmental issues can be better addressed by focusing on cleaner technology and helping developing nations implement it rather than demanding across the board reductions at the cost of economic development.

Let's not debate the merits of one policy over the other. Suffice to say that if and when it becomes more obvious to the international community that the U.S. does take environmental concerns seriously but simply has a different way of looking at them, tensions on the issue should be significantly lessened.

OK, here is a clue for those who dont know that the UK (United Kingdom) or GB (Great Britian) is made up of more than one country.

and if you want a more detailed breakdown http://www.mapsofworld.com/elections...uency-map.html

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It kind of depends on how you define a country, though: I mean I know Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland have their own Parlaiments and languages and such, but for the sake of citizenship and foreign policy, the UK is considered one country. Would it be fair to say perhaps four nations, one country?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    It kind of depends on how you define a country, though: I mean I know Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland have their own Parlaiments and languages and such, but for the sake of citizenship and foreign policy, the UK is considered one country. Would it be fair to say perhaps four nations, one country?
    Not got a problem with that but its when the Ohio people say ....... the English troops or Our English friends. Totaly forgetting that The Scottish, Welsh and Irish are now all totally pissed of at the Ohio folk. I mean, I know Ohio is a HUGE county and all but they are educated? Right?

Its UK or GB people.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Most Americans don't know their Atlas. Nor do they know their history.

I'm proud to say that my ancestors helped to colonize Great Britian. Several hundred years ago, members of my family tree sailed in search of a new land. They discoved the land we now call Great Britian. Some of them settled in the north, some settled on the large island to the west of the main land. In fact, a prominent food eaten by all of the groups, throughout Great Britian, bears my last name.

Sadly they various groups could not get along and they killed each other and fought like savages for hundreds of years.

But now, you know why the people who live there have our last names.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Most Americans don't know their Atlas. Nor do they know their history.

I'm proud to say that my ancestors helped to colonize Great Britian. Several hundred years ago, members of my family tree sailed in search of a new land. They discoved the land we now call Great Britian. Some of them settled in the north, some settled on the large island to the west of the main land. In fact, a prominent food eaten by all of the groups, throughout Great Britian, bears my last name.

Sadly they various groups could not get along and they killed each other and fought like savages for hundreds of years.

But now, you know why the people who live there have our last names.
    Truly bizarre cb, you have to stop reading the Hadith.....................

LOL

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

For what it's worth,and ignoring our transatlantic cousins famous geographical blind spot, I'll impart my $10.........

Part of the reason why the relationship is sinking into irrelevance is the way in which the US seems to manage it. When I say this, I mean in of and as of itself and in a wider European context.

The US, particularly recently, has viewed the relationship as one of a number of relationships that must be managed in order to serve and preserve it's foreign policy agenda and it's role as the pre-eminent power in world politics.

The UK however, and this is partly as a result of the US position in the world and partly as a result of history, sees the relationship as the one relationship that must be managed.

This divergence of view is leading to the tensions that underly it currently and will, in my view, ultimately lead to it's dissolution in the eyes of the politicians and inhabitants of the UK.

In the eyes of the US political elite I think it's already seen as an irrelevance with advantageous spin off's militarily, such as UK participation in Iraq.

As for Europe being culturally barren, or irrelevant or dying, that's just wishful thinking.

The UK public are starting to feel this attitude and are increasingly feeling pushed toward Europe with all it's faults.

A Finnish friend of mine asked me this evening whether I counted myself as European. I replied that I would if we could detach France and it's opportunistic, immoral, arrogant and intellectually baseless approach to foreign,trade and domestic policy into the middle of the Atlantic.

Alas for pipe dreams..........................

Quick question?

Is this politics?

coy bacon is offline Registered User

"Is it politics?"

Of course it's politics!

Shame on you! You've snuck one in!

The only solution for the quandary that our fine brethren on the eastern side of the Atlantic find themselves it to apply for State-hood with the USA.

Fresh off the heels of Canada (51st), Great Britian shall become our 52nd State! Blair will be its Gov'ner. Bush will turn the White House over to the Queen, and all shall be well!

Dosh will ne'r be a problem again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12