Thread: Tyson...no mas

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Tyson...no mas

McBride (left) apparently sent the struggling Tyson into retirement.

Irish Lullaby
    Mike Tyson threw his final punch, it seems, Dan Rafael writes in recapping Tyson's shocking sixth-round loss to journeyman Kevin McBride on Saturday in Washington.Story
    Round-by-round | Undercard: Ali, Mitchell win | Tyson video
    Rafael: 20 topics | McBride | Oddcast: Rafael reviews the shocker

My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Tyson...no mas

Thanks Psycho, for the update.

Mike was a wonder -- the key word being 'was'. His boxing accomplishments were simply not meant to endure his personal falls to the canvas.

Something inside was never quite right. Whether being accused of rape, or his infamous antics before the press and the world; whether biting a piece off Evander's ear during a match; his facial tattoo; the loss of his fortune(s), his inner anger and regrets...

I'm sort of glad for him to see that he acknowledges all this and is ready to grow up.

He could come back to a respectable person if he indeed does what is right.
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-12-2005 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Typo

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Mike Tyson, the ultimate pretender. He was exposed in '90 by Buster Douglas and has never lived up to the hype since.

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

It's sad when one of the better fighters of his generation goes down the way that Tyson has. He was the best of his time, could have been one of the greatest ever, but the rape charge and time in prison derailed that. If he could have gotten some management other than Don King, and some help with his personal life. I used to like Tyson, before he insisted on making a fool of himself by extending himself to far in the ring. He should have retired 5 or 6 years ago, that way he could have at least taken his dignity into retirement with him.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Interesting observation, rawkhrdr. Don King did not help much. To the contrary... :tough:

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    It's sad when one of the better fighters of his generation goes down the way that Tyson has. He was the best of his time, could have been one of the greatest ever, but the rape charge and time in prison derailed that. If he could have gotten some management other than Don King, and some help with his personal life. I used to like Tyson, before he insisted on making a fool of himself by extending himself to far in the ring. He should have retired 5 or 6 years ago, that way he could have at least taken his dignity into retirement with him.
    Sorry, but after gaining the heavyweight title from a light-heavyweight, Tyson did nothing to prove he was anything special. He beat a series of nobody's, unless you want to count a 39 year old Larry Holmes. Tyson was no where near an all-time great.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    I used to like Tyson also. He was impressive in the ring, but the personal problems have been a big distraction. Now he is just sad, trying to work off a huge debt of money. I guess he isn't going to make the money back now. He can't even lose with dignity. I am thinking it must be time to throw in the chips and call for bankruptcy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I Grew Up Right Near Catskill,where Tyson Started His Career. As A Young Pro He Was A Really Cool Guy,you Never Had To Pay For A Drink When Mike Was In Savoia,a Little Town Bar He Would Hang Out In.his Friends Then Were Even Cool,then He Got Hooked Up With Don King And His Career Hit The Skids,he Did Okay In The Beginning Because Of His Talent,but The People Who Helped And Supported Him In The Early Days Were Not Allowed To Help Him Anymore.he Now Had Don King And A Group Of People Around Him Just Giving Him Bad Advice And Milking Him Of His Money,mike Didnt Know Any Better Because He Was Very Generous.its Pretty Sad Because This Guy Made Many People Very Wealthy And Now He Has Nothing To Show For It.he Is Now Thought Of As A Circus Freak. Having Known Mike A Little Bit Back In The Day,i Wasnt A Close Friend But Did Talk To Him Quite A Bit,its A Sad Day For All Of Us Who Knew Catskill Mike And Not The Crazy Boxer Mike.