AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Underdog, and the trouble with critics.

This weekend, I checked out the reviews of the Underdog movie on RottenTomatoes.com, and saw that a very low % of reviewers recommended the movie. Most of those who gave bad reviews thought the movie was simplistic, unsophisticated, formulaic and juvenile in its humor.

I went to see it anyway with my kids. They wanted to see it, and I, a huge fan of the cartoon as a kid (I still love that theme song), did too.

Guess what? We all enjoyed it.

Sure, it was all the things the reviewers said, but so what? The movie was made for kids, and the kids in the audience loved it (many clapped at the end).

I guess what I'm saying is that film critics miss the point. If you're a food critic, you don't review a Happy Meal under the criteria you'd apply to a fine bistro. You ask whether kids would like it, and whether it contains anything harmful.

Applying those criteria to Underdog, it was a very good movie for kids (and their sentimental parents).

So lighten up, critics. And while you're at it... if you feel the need to throw out words like "cliched," "formulaic," "predictable," and "contrived," why not use those words to describe overrated garbage like "Crash" (sorry, Nick... gotta disagree with you on one of your favorites) or "An Inconvenient Truth."

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Underdog, and the trouble with critics.

speed of lightning, roar of thunder, avenger, soon to take over for both siskel and ebert. By the way, i agree with him completely on this.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    And while you're at it... if you feel the need to throw out words like "cliched," "formulaic," "predictable," and "contrived," why not use those words to describe overrated garbage like "Crash" (sorry, Nick... gotta disagree with you on one of your favorites) or "An Inconvenient Truth."
    No worries, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed Underdog.

All kidding aside, critics probably do take their jobs too seriously, but I think there's more to a good kids/family movie than whether or not the kids liked it. Ultimately when you watch anything, you have to decide whether you the viewer liked it or not regardless of perspective or target audience.

Being able to appeal to a wide audience, including critics, is what makes the really successful movies (Shrek, Toy Story, Harry Potter, etc) so special, IMO.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

You make a very good point here Av. It is hard to review a movie because sometimes your mood depends on how good (or bad) a movie is to you. And I agree Nick that critics do take themselves too seriously sometimes.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'm sure the same critics don't enjoy stuff like Spongebob, but you know how many kids love it?
    As you said, the movie is made for kids, and the kids like it. I'd say it accomplished it's goal.